★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Low Memory Error?

02-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Low Memory Error?

Hey all. For a while now I have been noticing, on occasions, an error message pops up when playing SlotZ, or using app sniper, and it says something like: "SlotZ has detected a low memory issue on your Iphone. Please hold power button and lock button to restart phone." It isn't word for word, but it is something along the lines of those words. Anyone know what the problem is?
I have an 8 gig iphone, and it only has around 3 gigs used up. I have restarted my phone every time after it says the message, and then a few days later when I use either SlotZ or appsniper, the same message pops up.
02-05-2009, 11:00 PM
it isnt your actual memory, there have been threads on this before. Just get that free memory app . You need it

dirty deeds and their dunderchee

02-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH22 View Post
Hey all. For a while now I have been noticing, on occasions, an error message pops up when playing SlotZ, or using app sniper, and it says something like: "SlotZ has detected a low memory issue on your Iphone. Please hold power button and lock button to restart phone." It isn't word for word, but it is something along the lines of those words. Anyone know what the problem is?
I have an 8 gig iphone, and it only has around 3 gigs used up. I have restarted my phone every time after it says the message, and then a few days later when I use either SlotZ or appsniper, the same message pops up.
I don't know. The same thiung happened to me in the Pangea games. I just ignored it.
02-05-2009, 11:04 PM
you can ignore it but then games will run slow or even quit out.

dirty deeds and their dunderchee
02-05-2009, 11:09 PM
The built in apps (especially Safari and the music player) leak memory over time, so on an iPhone where you tend not to switch it off, you have less and less memory available for apps to run in. Getting that memory warning means you're *really* low on memory, to the point where games will typically get force quit by the OS.

It's best to do as the alert says and power cycle your iPhone. This resets the memory (as the other apps release theirs). Ideally, if you play a lot of games it's worth doing this regularly. Apple's improved the issue on 2.2, but it's still there.
02-05-2009, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the help guys .
02-05-2009, 11:30 PM
Part of your 8 gigs is used by the system as memory.

The iphone/itouch platforms have an issue with freeing up free memory. Also, some games end up having memory leaks that make them take up far more memory then they should

Lets say you load up something like nanosaur 2... Lots of textures and 3d graphics. It ends up using a lot of that memory. As you exit the game the system doesn't know what you're doing and assumes you are coming back to the game.

If you play a game like Aurora Feint 2... lots of particle effects. Then you need a lot of memory again. Well the system will tell you that you are low on memory cause it has all kinds of things its holding on to because it doesn't know you don't need it anymore...

Recent emails, recent webpages you visited, your place in the last song you listened to... etc.

Free Memory is just designed to demand 100% of the memory, the system then frees up what it can.

After doing some tests with SBSettings (which also lets you know how much free memory you have) the numbers are exactly the same before and after using Free Memory.

Your best best is to Force Quit (hold the home button till you return to the home screen) out of an app you arent using. It's really easy to do since most games save automatically when you complete a goal or level. It always keeps my 1st gen iphone running smooth
02-05-2009, 11:57 PM
I recommend buying Free Memory, then once you free up the memory to 20 Mb, go into Safari, and force close it by holding down the home button for about 7 seconds, freeing up another 15 Mb (give or take a few)!!

Is that an iPhone in your pocket, or are you happy to see me?