★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Best Press Release Websites?

03-11-2010, 09:20 AM
#1
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Derby, UK.
Posts: 161
Best Press Release Websites?

Hi,

I've got a game to be released very soon and was just wondering if anyone's had any luck with sending out press releases, and what websites were used?

This is our 2nd game, the 1st failed quite miserably, we think due to the lack of pre-release information about the game and lack of information on the release week.

Any press release websites would be of help!

Thanks!

We Are Colin - Indie Games from Derby, UK. Facebook Twitter YouTube
Gravity Runner - Running game with Retro Graphics
Screw The Dealer + iSevens - Card Games -
WordSearch Rush - Featured by Apple - Available now
03-11-2010, 01:21 PM
#2
PRMac.com is my personal favorite. They're cheap, they get it out there, and you can actually see results.

It may not necessarily lead to reviews but it goes a ways for getting the name of you and your game out there.

Good luck!

03-11-2010, 04:08 PM
#3
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 977
Send a message via MSN to MindJuice Send a message via Skype™ to MindJuice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure Industries View Post
PRMac.com is my personal favorite. They're cheap, they get it out there, and you can actually see results.

It may not necessarily lead to reviews but it goes a ways for getting the name of you and your game out there.

Good luck!
I second the recommendation for prmac.com.

They take the time to read your release and make suggestions for things you might want to change.
03-11-2010, 11:32 PM
#4
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure Industries View Post
PRMac.com is my personal favorite. They're cheap, they get it out there, and you can actually see results.
I'm in the same boat as DaveLev. I also wonder if press release would get any coverage for iPhone apps... we indie always have a small budget on ads/press release so it has to be money wise spent...

$20 offer from prmac.com seems reasonable for press release though. Thank you for the link
03-12-2010, 04:57 AM
#5
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,175
$20 for anything is a load of sh*t.

You shouldn't have to pay to get a press release out. Give it out to iPhone review and media sites. They will take a look at it and if they think your game is good enough it will appear on their site. Never pay for reviews or anything except advertising..

Occasional Reviewer on ThePortableGamer
Official Reviewer on Razorianfly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Space Girl
It was like the other day I went to MarthaStewart.com's forums for advice on how to program my new T-89 graphing calculator and well, let's just say no one there was very helpful.
03-12-2010, 05:21 AM
#6
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainter View Post
$20 for anything is a load of sh*t.

You shouldn't have to pay to get a press release out. Give it out to iPhone review and media sites. They will take a look at it and if they think your game is good enough it will appear on their site. Never pay for reviews or anything except advertising..
You obviously don't have to pay. Using a service such as PR-Mac makes sense however. It takes time to spread the word and a service of this nature can save you a lot of time and get you some exposure you normally wouldn't have. That doesn't mean that you can't contact TouchArcade with a more personal approach in addition.

If you think $20 for PR-Mac's services is too expensive, then by all means don't use PR-Mac. To state that "$20 for anything is a load of sh*t" is however a statement I find to be utterly false.
03-12-2010, 05:48 AM
#7
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,175
To me paying for a press release and comments about the game is the same as buying for a review. They become bias and I automatically can't trust it when it says it's a great game, even if it actually is.

I can't say I have had any experience with prmac, they may be different. But the general consensus I get with seeing sites requiring payment is that they are often a waste.

Occasional Reviewer on ThePortableGamer
Official Reviewer on Razorianfly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Space Girl
It was like the other day I went to MarthaStewart.com's forums for advice on how to program my new T-89 graphing calculator and well, let's just say no one there was very helpful.
03-12-2010, 06:26 AM
#8
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainter View Post
To me paying for a press release and comments about the game is the same as buying for a review. They become bias and I automatically can't trust it when it says it's a great game, even if it actually is.
Eh, the point is you write the press release, and pay PR-mac to distribute it for you. All press releases are biased, that's in their nature.
03-12-2010, 07:55 AM
#9
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 241
Send a message via MSN to tukun
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Eh, the point is you write the press release, and pay PR-mac to distribute it for you.
and hows that more beneficial?
03-12-2010, 08:06 AM
#10
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by tukun View Post
and hows that more beneficial?
To quote myself:
Quote:
It takes time to spread the word and a service of this nature can save you a lot of time and get you some exposure you normally wouldn't have.
Also: PR-Mac have several techo-blogs and news aggregates that subscribes to the different "channels". Bottom line: It's saves time.