★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Max Williams
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 3.3 MB
  • Version: 1.5.1
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: Coins is a fast-paced 2D physics game for the iPhone and iPod Touch. You fire a ball and try to hit as many coins as you can. Coins you collect are added to your score.

Develop your skill and strategy by collecting enough coins to unlock all 40 levels. Play in various settings, finding new features and characters along the way.

Spend your hard-earned coins in the new shop screen, where you can buy power-ups to help you in your quest.

Coins is a physics-based game and will appeal to fans of Peggle, Pinball and pachinko-style games. It has an 8-bit era feeling to it, and all in-game sprites were created pixel by pixel.

More levels, a level editor and lots more gameplay ideas are planned for future upgrates. Have any ideas? Get in touch by e-mail at max+coins@maximile.net

zztfox's comments:
Appshopper link:

http://appshopper.com/games/coins

Now contains twice the levels and a shop to spend $ earned in.

Wanting to TOFTT, as it looks nice like peggle. Has anyone played this before?

03-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zztfox View Post
Appshopper link:

http://appshopper.com/games/coins

Now contains twice the levels and a shop to spend $ earned in.

Wanting to TOFTF, as it looks nice. Has anyone played this before?
TOFTF
Take one for the ... fleet?

it looks interesting but maybe a little too dark for the pixel style graphics.

do the fleet a favor and let us know how it is!

[EPIC SIGNATURE] shumby [/EPIC SIGNATURE]

03-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Fixed.

I am TOFTT as this caught my eye before, but I forgot about it...
03-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zztfox View Post
Fixed.

I am TOFTT as this caught my eye before, but I forgot about it...
*salute*

I expect a detailed report, sailor!

03-11-2010, 04:44 PM
I originally tried this out back before Peggle was released and at the time it was the best clone, yet with an original idea (money). I had a blast with it before, however I found it to be too short. It's fantastic that the developer has added an update tripling the content. Any fans of peggle should pick this up immediatly.

03-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seishu View Post
I originally tried this out back before Peggle was released and at the time it was the best clone, yet with an original idea (money). I had a blast with it before, however I found it to be too short. It's fantastic that the developer has added an update tripling the content. Any fans of peggle should pick this up immediatly.
do you drop a ball that bounces off the money or does it pass through the money while collecting it? is there any major gameplay differences from Peggle?

03-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumby View Post
do you drop a ball that bounces off the money or does it pass through the money while collecting it? is there any major gameplay differences from Peggle?
Basically you time your shots as the launcher up top moves back and forth. It then bounces off of the coins, knocking them loose to fall into the slot at the bottom (scoring is based off of the number of coins you get with 10 shots). I just downloaded the update and WOW the game is a whole lot similar to peggle now. There's characters that guide you through the game, and special powers. One thing I liked about it that was different from peggle is that you need to collect a certain amount of coins worth x amount of points (the currency?) to unlock the next level set. Sometimes this meant you got to replay levels for more points.

Oh and almost forgot to mention, there's fabulous pixel art.

03-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Okay, the ball bounces off the money, which in turn basically becomes a gravity-affected object with collision detection. Since coins have to reach the bottom for them to count, this adds a whole new layer to the game (different from Peggle) because you don't want coins to get stuck top of others. Also, gold and silver coins are worth more, but are larger and get stuck easier.

Basically, as Seishu says, you should buy this if you like Peggle. For only a $1, it gives a reasonable amount of gameplay and puts a whole new depth to Pachinko-style games because coins have to fall to the bottom for them to count.

It is quite short, however, even with the shop. Only purchase it if you are okay with it not lasting too long, because after a while, you'll get a level with 5 gold coins ("Finale") and you'll spam it to get all the shop items. Just don't get the $100 one; it's completely useless. The $80 one on the left is the only one I've encountered so far (I haven't purchased the $300 or $999 ones yet) that is worth anything. So get that first.
03-11-2010, 05:10 PM
03-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Are there leaderboards in this game ?