★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Questionable MASSIVE paid 5-star review rating

03-12-2010, 02:57 AM
Questionable MASSIVE paid 5-star review rating

So I was checking out freeappaday yesterday and I noticed that there is this game called Original Gangstaz that is being promoted. This game is now #9 in the app store, but the interesting thing is that they have 13000 5 star ratings! I downloaded it and played for a bit and here is how they get there 5 star ratings. In their game, they have an in-game item called lotto ticket that you usually get by paying real money. But they are now offering everyone a free lotto ticket if you leave a 5 star review on itunes.

Now this really begs the question of whether these 13000 5 star ratings are legit or not, they are clearly telling people to just mindlessly give them a 5 star rating.

What do you guys think about this, is this the only way to get ahead of other competitors?
03-12-2010, 04:34 AM
It is the unfortunate state of the App Store

03-12-2010, 05:54 AM
lol, I know that you can make a popup asking for a review, but you really can check how many stars someone gave you ? how does that work...
03-12-2010, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSz_spokko View Post
lol, I know that you can make a popup asking for a review, but you really can check how many stars someone gave you ? how does that work...
Question is: Does the player know that you can't check what review has he/she given you? 99% they will do what they are asked (5 star review), out of good faith.

Basic psychology.
03-12-2010, 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by exosyphen View Post
Question is: Does the player know that you can't check what review has he/she given you? 99% they will do what they are asked (5 star review), out of good faith.

Basic psychology.

And shilling.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
03-12-2010, 08:53 AM
The best ideas usually lack morals.
03-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Step 1: Install the game just to leave a 1-star rating describing this shilling practise.
Step 2: Update your review daily to prevent it from getting buried.
Step 3: Lack of profit! Hopefully.

Enough people do it, there will be a bunch of floating 1-star reviews at the top. Sadly, you gotta fight douche with douche.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
03-12-2010, 10:56 AM
I think this could be cause for removal from the AppStore... They are pretty stupid to do that IMO.

Be sure to check out Shadow Era, a trading card game now with almost 3 million players, cross-platform multiplayer for iPhone, Android, web, PC and Mac for FREE!
03-12-2010, 11:03 AM
It's just a way to market. Similiar to forcing people to buy the lite version and review.
03-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Really guys? Really?

This is no different then when all those other developers, including Lima Sky's Doodle Jump, says "Your 5 star rating keeps updates coming." in their update description.

Soliciting 5 star reviews is, to my knowledge, not against any rules. So, if what they are doing bothers you, maybe you should file a complaint so Apple can read your email then swiftly delete it.

Water Your Body (ON SALE $0.99)
http://apps.google.com/#1iPhoneApp
Tic Tac Pro (FREE)
New and Noteworthy!