★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Any upcoming RPGs announced?

02-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Any upcoming RPGs announced?

Am I the only one craving a true RPG experience made specifically for the iPhone? Out of all the ones I've tried, Chronicles of Inotia was the only one I finished, but I don't see myself ever replaying it.

So, do you guys know of some promising / upcoming RPGs for iDevices?

Favorites: Siralim | Cavern | Dungeonism | Avadon | Solomon's Keep | Endless Depths | Tallowmere
Now Playing: Dungeons of Chaos UNITY EDITION | Siralim 2
02-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Puzzle Quest. If you've never played it before, it's not what you think, very much a RPG experience (to me) and the best "makes you committed to the game" kind of game yet.

If that makes any sense

02-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Send a message via MSN to D.Sync Send a message via Yahoo to D.Sync
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorlen View Post
Am I the only one craving a true RPG experience made specifically for the iPhone? Out of all the ones I've tried, Chronicles of Inotia was the only one I finished, but I don't see myself ever replaying it.

So, do you guys know of some promising / upcoming RPGs for iDevices?
Most great RPG title are meant to be for other gaming console such as PSP, PS3, XBox 360. So far I had purchased Vay and Arvale and I must say that Arvale seems to be the best RPG game so far. Vay had terrible control which I only played for several minutes. Once enabled the hard mode option the frequency for random encounter seems to increased by a huge amount, which I really hate. Wasn't hard mode suppose to make enemies harder instead of more random encounter rate?

Anyways if I were you I would get Arvale if I haven't got it yet. It's simply the best RPG game in App Store, YET. I really like the virtual D-Pad, which, however, might seems weird as it's located at the right side. Well, at least they had a virtual D-Pad instead of sticking to using the tapping gesture.

Updates from Casual Gamer

Plus+ ID: dsync89 (active in all We Rule, We Farm and We City)
OpenFeint ID: dsync89
02-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Sync View Post
Vay had terrible control which I only played for several minutes. Once enabled the hard mode option the frequency for random encounter seems to increased by a huge amount, which I really hate. Wasn't hard mode suppose to make enemies harder instead of more random encounter rate?
Wow, you're the first person I've seen that didn't like Vay at all. I'm borderline about to purchase it, was it just the controls that you didn't like? I'd like some elaboration on this to help me with my decision!
02-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seien View Post
Wow, you're the first person I've seen that didn't like Vay at all. I'm borderline about to purchase it, was it just the controls that you didn't like? I'd like some elaboration on this to help me with my decision!
Vay controls fine. Is a good game, worth the 2.99
02-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phi6 View Post
Puzzle Quest. If you've never played it before, it's not what you think, very much a RPG experience (to me) and the best "makes you committed to the game" kind of game yet.

If that makes any sense
I was writing the very same sentence.
To me PQ, regardless some 'porting' mistakes, is the best game in the App Store yet.
UNFORTUNATELY, you have to know that if you're an avid RPG consumer like myself, it's out only the first chapter of the whole game (I finished it in about 25 hours for the main quest and almost all side quests/achievements)...now I'm anxiously waiting for chapter 2, but no date or news are given (I even wrote to Transgaming, but they can't talk about release dates).
So keep in mind that, you could be left in the middle of story...
02-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitta View Post
I was writing the very same sentence.
To me PQ, regardless some 'porting' mistakes, is the best game in the App Store yet.
UNFORTUNATELY, you have to know that if you're an avid RPG consumer like myself, it's out only the first chapter of the whole game (I finished it in about 25 hours for the main quest and almost all side quests/achievements)...now I'm anxiously waiting for chapter 2, but no date or news are given (I even wrote to Transgaming, but they can't talk about release dates).
So keep in mind that, you could be left in the middle of story...
Although 25 hours is plenty and I've been playing for about 10 and still somewhere near the beginning.. to me its worth the money!
02-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phi6 View Post
Although 25 hours is plenty and I've been playing for about 10 and still somewhere near the beginning.. to me its worth the money!
Oh sure!
It's the best (quality) hours/money I spent ratio an the App Store!!!
I really really liked how I thought several times 'I'm near the end' just to find out I was wrong.

I just cannot wait to continue adventuring with my fighter and honestly I hoped for shorter time between chapters.
Not to mention I still hope for a wonderful iPhone port of Galactrix, maybe NOT divided into chapters in the rumored Premium App Store.

Where are you exactely after 10 hours?
BTW, just to let you know....when you finish the main quest, you can continue adventuring to finish other pending quests, gaining runes/spells,etc...very cool.
02-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitta View Post
Oh sure!
It's the best (quality) hours/money I spent ratio an the App Store!!!
I really really liked how I thought several times 'I'm near the end' just to find out I was wrong.

I just cannot wait to continue adventuring with my fighter and honestly I hoped for shorter time between chapters.
Not to mention I still hope for a wonderful iPhone port of Galactrix, maybe NOT divided into chapters in the rumored Premium App Store.

Where are you exactely after 10 hours?
BTW, just to let you know....when you finish the main quest, you can continue adventuring to finish other pending quests, gaining runes/spells,etc...very cool.
Yeah I'm at the Orc Lord at the moment. The reason I'm taking so long is because I'm doing all the side-quests before attempting the main quests so I can research all the spells I want etc... I don't mind the grind as I know once I'm done it'll make the main quest a lot easier
02-06-2009, 12:03 PM
I definitely am also looking forward to some good RPGs for the iPhone. I've been playing Puzzle Quest, which is a great game, but a horrid port for the iPhone:

1. The game state isn't saved mid-puzzle when a call comes in, which means the game registers your fight as a failure if you happen to get a phone call before you finish. And most of the fights take quite a while, meaning it's not a trivial concern. There are some enemies that are listed in my stats as 0 wins out of 4 attempts entirely due to getting calls before I could finish them, wasting a couple of hours between the various attempts.

2. The iPhone port doesn't give you a way to access the enemy equipment or status effect windows, which are accessible on all the other platform ports.

3. I find the text and many of the buttons to be awkwardly small, and unresponsive.

But, even given all those issues with this particular port, it's still the game that I've played the most on my iPhone.

I've bought and have tried Vay and Arvale. Neither has really grabbed my attention yet. Arvale has decent controls, but I'm not that into the gameplay. Vay has better gameplay, but frustrating controls. Both are ported from games with larger screens and didn't modify the sprites, and I'd have preferred to see a port with larger and more defined characters.

For what it's worth, Chillingo announced that they're releasing a port of one of Redshift's Palm RPGs, The Quest. There were a couple of threads about it here in this forum that you could search for if you're interested. Although they haven't mentioned a release date, their announcement made it sound like it would be coming out very soon. If it sells reasonably well, I'm sure they'll port over some of Redshift's other games and expansions.

I haven't heard of anything else that's been announced, but I'm certainly also hoping that some developers either start porting over some of the better RPGs from the DS and PSP, or even better, develop some new properties specifically for the iPhone's form factor and control scheme. Ugh...let's just hope they don't make you use the accelerometer to move.