★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Mafia LIVE : Hints and Tips

02-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Mafia LIVE : Hints and Tips

I keep seeing plenty of threads dedicated to sharing Family Codes (the crack cocaine of Mafia Live), but precious few that actually share any useful information on how to actually PLAY the game. So here are a few of the Tips I've picked up in the last few weeks.
Extra Note: in all the Family Code postings, posters keep saying things like "Join a big powerful Family for Protection". Apparently these people haven't caught on to the fact that using a family Code to 'join' a Family just means you have added one more family member to your own Family count. Your family members don't bring along any money, weapons, etc --- it's just like adding a Mercenary.

To Start with:
How Family Size affects Fights
Family Size by itself has no effect on your Fights, but the larger your Family, the more items you can bring to the fight, which has a major impact.
Each Family member you can bring to the fight will include a weapon, a defense, and a vehicle from your inventory (adding the att/def values for those items). Note that Family members do NOT bring anything other than what you give them.
For example, if you have 100 Family members, but you only own 1 pistol, 1 AK-47, one helmet, and one Town Car, you are only bringing 4 items to the fight. If you own 100 AK-47 rifles, they will all add to your attack.
So, you should try to own as many weapons & defenses as you have family members (and no more).

Feel free to add me to your Family (the more the merrier)
831 423 869
TheIrishMafia@hotmail.com
02-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Why You Need AK-47s and Helmets

Why You Need AK-47s and Helmets
If you are involved in a Fight, every Family member you have will bring along a weapon and defense item out of your inventory.
Since the AK-47 and the Helmet do not require any upkeep cost, you can stock as many as you can afford without them sucking away your income.
So, at a minimum, you should try to own as many AK-47s and Helmets as you have Family members.

831 423 869

02-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Why you shouldn't be running a Debt

Why you shouldn't be running a Debt
I was curious to find out what would happen if you ran your Family with a large negative income - and I can now pass along my 'learning experience'.
For those starting out: You can generate a constant stream of income by buying Real Estate. You also lose money as an upkeep cost for many of your items.
Since there are reasons to NOT have a net income (refer to posts on Stealing Income), I was curious what would happen if you didn't generate ANY revenue from Real Estate, and just operated at loss.
At FIRST, this seemed to have no negative effect: money wasn't being taken from the bank account, inventory didn't change, etc. However, this behavior will eventually piss off the Godfather enough that he will take away ALL items that have an upkeep cost, as well as cleaning out your entire Bank Account (net loss for me was around 5 million).
So, the lesson learned is: Make sure to balance your income and expenses so you're not operating at a loss.

831 423 869
02-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Stealing Income (and why a big Income can be painful)

Stealing Income (and why a big Income can be painful)
As most of you know, when you pick a Fight with another Family, if you win the Fight you will walk away with some of that Family's cash-on-hand (money that is not stored in the Bank). This is actually a GREAT way to make money, IF you choose your Fights wisely. Instead of picking random fights from the Fight tab, you should be looking at the details for a family (by clicking the green Family box, or the link for the Family name) and picking fights with Families that:
1) You know you can beat (see posts on Picking Fights)
2) Have a lot of income generating Real Estate
Picking a fight with a Family that owns 10 Jewelery Stores, but hasn't equipped a lot of weapons, can nab you tens of thousands in cash.
The key here, though, is that if you find a real cash cow, you can CONTINUE to steal money from them by navigating back to your My Hood tab and scrolling down to the Recent Fights. If you click on the Family name link from your most recent fight, it will open the screen for that Family --- which includes the button for "Fight this Family". You can continue picking fights as long as you both have the Health to fight.
The additional lesson here is: Don't let money accumulate from income! It just makes you a target, if you aren't protecting it well enough. Until you can field a pretty big army, your income should be just enough to fund the stuff you own.

831 423 869
02-06-2009, 03:27 PM
This is exactly the reason that I deleted the app today. I was tooling along fairly well. I had a good size mob (400+), growing properties (including 10 jewelry stores) and I was still level 8. As soon as the level 46 'The Dark Lord' found me, the game no longer became about playing, it became about trying to scavenge whatever money I could save before he bent me over yet again.

With no bulletin system to call to your mob-mates for help, you just have to sit there and suffer it. After four or five days, I finally just said screw it, sold my properties and deleted the app after a level 56 found me this morning. It was bad enough with one, but two... no thanks. I'm sorry, but people forty or fifty levels above your level attacking you 9 or so times each and every hour, on the hour, you can't defend against that. The way I see it, that's not strategy, that's harassment.

As far as I'm concerned the game is broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIrishMafia View Post
2) Have a lot of income generating Real Estate
Picking a fight with a Family that owns 10 Jewelery Stores, but hasn't equipped a lot of weapons, can nab you tens of thousands in cash.
The key here, though, is that if you find a real cash cow, you can CONTINUE to steal money from them by navigating back to your My Hood tab and scrolling down to the Recent Fights. If you click on the Family name link from your most recent fight, it will open the screen for that Family --- which includes the button for "Fight this Family". You can continue picking fights as long as you both have the Health to fight.
The additional lesson here is: Don't let money accumulate from income! It just makes you a target, if you aren't protecting it well enough. Until you can field a pretty big army, your income should be just enough to fund the stuff you own.

Last edited by aprodigalson; 02-06-2009 at 03:30 PM.
02-06-2009, 04:38 PM
If it will make you feel any better, Dark Lord is my bitch, I am always raping him taking all of his money so it happens to him also not just you.
02-06-2009, 04:43 PM
I'm assuming there's near parity in the two of your levels. That seems fair, I don't mind a fair fight. But how the hell is a level 8 supposed to go up against an arsenal that someone 40 levels higher would have? It's just a fundamental flaw of the game.

It does explain his insatiable appetite for my money though.
02-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprodigalson View Post
I'm assuming there's near parity in the two of your levels. That seems fair, I don't mind a fair fight. But how the hell is a level 8 supposed to go up against an arsenal that someone 40 levels higher would have? It's just a fundamental flaw of the game.

It does explain his insatiable appetite for my money though.
I am not sure how he is attacking you. I only see people around my levels on the fight screens. It needs to be balanced more. I have been getting attacked late at night when I am sleeping; drives me nutz. I lose millions of dollars while I sleep so I feel your pain.

*Also another hint is to attack people until your health is below 20. When you are below 20 in health noone can attack. I always make sure my health is below 20 when I am making big purchases with money I take out the bank.*

Last edited by DirtyAl; 02-06-2009 at 04:55 PM.
02-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Lame

I deleted this game this morning, even with having a family size of 3,200+. This a.m. all my vehicles, yachts, armored limo's & armor were taken away due to running a negative balance. They needed to have an option were a large payment or payments could be made to the Godfather. I didn't want to mess around with all the property's. All my money was made through fighting/stealing and doing jobs. In the end, grew tired of all the add me $h*t.
02-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Most likely he's able to attack you because he's a membere of your Family. Yes, your Family members can indeed attack you. You just go to your family list and click on someone's name, and you're taken to that person's public screen --- which has the "Attack this Family" button.
Completely unethical, and one of the many ways the app is broken.

This is why you really can't count on building wealth through real estate until you can mount a good sized army (and there will always be someone with a bigger army).

low levels are even more susceptible until the bank becomes available