★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: developers and pricing shenanigans

02-06-2009, 04:15 PM
developers and pricing shenanigans

Ok, so unless you are new to the App Store, you are well aware that prices on apps fall a few days/weeks after they are released.

Most users have wizened up to this game and will refuse to purchase desired apps until a 1st or 2nd price drop.

I have noticed the incubation time between when a release hits the store and when the price first slashes has shortened immensely.

Developers need to realize this is the reason sales don't flood in in the first 24 hours (unless your app sucks to begin with).

Many have actually realized this and release their apps with appropriate prices initially, but I am sick of seeing 4.99 releases drop to 2.99 in less than 24 hours after release.

Do these guys think we're stupid? I'm sure there are plenty of new idevice owners getting burned by this still, but honestly quit with the games. There is no reason to inflate prices at release.

...if anyone gets the reference, this situation reminds me of the hula-hoop release montage in the Cohen Bros. film the Hudsucker Proxy. watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng3XHPdexNM

but really guys, all you are doing is penny pinching new users who are not familiar with App Store shenanigans.

Last edited by case; 02-06-2009 at 06:13 PM.
02-06-2009, 04:24 PM
You are right
This is a huge problem
The good news is that smaller devs are starting to have intro sales instead of later sales

02-06-2009, 04:25 PM
If you don't like the prices, don't buy. There's no reason to still be complaining about this. Do you think developers LIKE dropping their prices so soon after release? If a game is released, and I want it, I'll buy it. I've spent $5 on a game at release only to have it quickly slide all the way down the ladder until it was finally free. Does that make the game any less enjoyable for the time I had it prior to the sale? No.

If you want to wait around indefinitely for every game to go on sale, great. But, frankly, I don't have the time to waste. I'm too busy picketing my local grocery stores for always changing the price of bananas.
02-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
If you don't like the prices, don't buy. There's no reason to still be complaining about this. Do you think developers LIKE dropping their prices so soon after release? If a game is released, and I want it, I'll buy it. I've spent $5 on a game at release only to have it quickly slide all the way down the ladder until it was finally free. Does that make the game any less enjoyable for the time I had it prior to the sale? No.
^ This, I agree 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
If you want to wait around indefinitely for every game to go on sale, great. But, frankly, I don't have the time to waste. I'm too busy picketing my local grocery stores for always changing the price of bananas.
The picketing comment made my day, thank you.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc
02-06-2009, 04:30 PM
It's called capitalism. While yes, it doesn't feel great to see the app you just purchased go on sale, it is what it is. We are not talking huge sums of money here. The story will be different wit the premium App Store, I'm sure of that.

If I think something is not worth the asking price, I will not purchase it or wait to see if it goes on sale. Some titles, I buy automatically regardless of the price; that is based on the trust I have in particular developer.

Last edited by BrushMyNoseOff; 02-06-2009 at 04:33 PM.
02-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donburns99 View Post
The picketing comment made my day, thank you.
I'm against picketing, but I just don't know how to show it.

Favorites: Siralim | Cavern | Dungeonism | Avadon | Solomon's Keep | Endless Depths | Tallowmere
Now Playing: Dungeons of Chaos UNITY EDITION | Siralim 2
02-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorlen View Post
I'm against picketing, but I just don't know how to show it.
LOL

I had to think for about 30 seconds what you were getting at and then it hit me.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc
02-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Send a message via AIM to eeenmachine
Just to be clear:
Large Developers (EA etc.): Launch high then drop the price.
Small Developers: Launch low (because they don't get the coverage big boys do) then raise the price.
02-06-2009, 05:03 PM
As a developer I noticed a trend... 25% increase of sales on weekends. Be happy that we don't raise prices on weekends like gas stations do.

Apps: Mech Pilot, Zombies HD, Zombies The Last Stand, iFishing (and all spinoffs), Puppet Jump, Pocket Farm, Dark Raider, Blue Skies, and more! (www.RockingPocketGames.com)
02-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Jesus, calm down people. The app store hasn't even been around for a year and it is, essentially, a brand new kind of marketplace. Most of the developers are just trying to make a living at this and the only way they're going to be able to do that in the future is if they experiment a little now. The typical rules of capitalism don't apply here, because supply is essentially unlimited and feedback is immediate.

Everything will be ok.