★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

action game ideas

03-16-2010, 03:55 PM
#1
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 501
action game ideas

Lunar Fang

modes:
-campaign
-VS
-survival

campaign: (top down dual stick)
-1-2hr long single player/co-op campaigns
-with about 2-3 checkpoints
-4 unique characters in each campaign
-cutscene in the beginning, chatter between the characters, and small cutscenes at each checkpoint/safehouse
-each checkpoint is like a safehouse from L4D but instead of weapons and items laying around its a shop that you spend points (that you earn) to upgrade gear and/or buy items
-health packs works just like L4D
-secondary items will be like food pills and chi pills and what not
-instead of timebombs and molotovs its going to be ninja items and tools

Vs (2D fighter)
-all characters from the campaigns are present
-might even be unlockable characters & secret characters
-wifi online/local
-bluetooth local
-3G or no 3G?

survival: (top down dual stick)
-2 players work together to survive as long as they can
-maps taken from campaigns
-has power ups and loot style item drops

there also might be additional modes:
-community
-news
-fan content (backgrounds, ringtones, ect)

I consult with the 7 sages
03-16-2010, 04:31 PM
#2
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 501
top down dual stick gameplay and control details..................


A left stick (either wheel or VJ) for movement; can be swapped for leftys
A right stick (wheel) will be for action

left stick;
-rotate to move and/or change direction
-tap & flicks used for dashing
-u can also slide and then hold on the edge of the wheel to maintain heading

right stick;
-rotate to turn character (directing attacks)
-tap & double tap to attack

dash attacks:
-dash by tapping or flicking on the left stick
-then immediately tapping on the right stick while still dashing

focus attacks:
-double tap on right stick and hold to charge the attack
-rotate to aim
-lift thumb off screen to unleash

spin attack:
-spin around the wheel twice very quickly
-this will initiate a spin attack
-maybe......

weapon toggle button:
-right above the right stick
-tap to toggle between two weapons


context sensitive pop ups:
-dodge
-counter
-finishing moves?
-special skills like a limit breaker
-ect
-will appear bottom between the two sticks
-use powerup in survival maybe

with only one thumb on a stick:
-while holding your thumb on either the left or right stick
-lift thumb off other stick
-this is how you block, and you can rotate the wheel either left or right to turn your character around quickly to block attacks from multiple directions
-this will also allow you to tap and hold on enemies to throw kunai or ninja stars at them(unlimited you never run out and you can upgrade them)
-you can use magic attacks; just swipe over enemies or an empty area horizontally or vertically, then hold the magic spell or skill will begin to charge just lift thumb off screen to unleash it
-horizontal swipes does one kind of skill or magic
-vertical swipes does another
-means each character will have 2 unique magic attacks
-when character is incapacitate walk close to them and tap and hold on them to pick them up
-this is also how you will use health packs just tap and hold on your character or one of the other characters to begin to use the health packs

using items:
-lift both thumbs off the screen
-a quick item menu will fade in
-tap and hold on the item you want to use
-the menu will fade away and the camera will zoom out a bit
-just tap on the enemy or character or area you want to use the item on
-just continue holding until the item has been used
-retuning thumbs to the sticks will immediately fade the menu away


challenges:
-dial in the algorithms to recognize taps from straight up lifting thumb off screen (for blocking, magic, and long distance attacks)
-like dial in the time lapses so its quick enough to recognize when you want to block when you want to in the heat of battle but its accurate enough to not mistake a would be tap or double tap from a would be block and vice a versa
-must hold thumb on screen to rotate the character
-any other technical challenges or issues i haven't thought of?

I consult with the 7 sages

Last edited by cubytes; 03-16-2010 at 11:34 PM.

03-16-2010, 04:48 PM
#3
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 501
combat scenario..................
-run up to enemy with left joystick/wheel dodging projectile weapons and what not
-when you get close to the enemy they quickly try to attack you
-lift one of your thumbs off the stick/screen to block the attacks
-return thumb to the stick and tap away to attack enemy
-as you attack the enemy another one rushes you from below or behind your character
-rotate thumb to turn your character towards the enemy and tap to attack them before they have a chance to stop and attack
-rotate thumb again to face the other enemy you were attack previously to finish them off
-dash away from the other enemy that is pursuing you
- lift left or right thumb off the stick
-tap on enemy a few times to throw kunai at them until they are dead
-another enemy appears from above
-dash down a couple times
-lift thumb off either the left or right stick
-swipe across enemy then hold for a brief sec
-lift thumb off screen to unleash a power magic attack
-the enemy is stunned dash towards the enemy
-tap button right above the right stick to switch to your power weapon
-then tap to attack the enemy
-dash away from the enemy after your combo finishes to dodge their counter attacks
-lift both thumbs off screen
-tap and hold on poison bomb
-tap and hold on enemy
-your character will throw a poison bomb
-it hits the enemy
-then they quickly die before they can exit the poison cloud


the two weapons are:
-a quick attack weapon
-a power attack weapon
-the quick attack weapon has long combos and is super fast but does low damage
-the power weapon attacks are slow and there is only a 2 or 3 attack combo but it does moderate damage
-if you have the power weapon equipped you can do finishing moves if enemy has low hp
-the finishing moves should be quick and flashy like you just dash through the enemy and they are cut and fall to the ground

I consult with the 7 sages

Last edited by cubytes; 03-16-2010 at 04:59 PM.
03-16-2010, 05:25 PM
#4
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Perv, why do you care?
Posts: 1,807
Wow this is sad. Plus the fact that a dss wouldn't have the same components as a fighter and you got EPIC'D FAILED
03-16-2010, 05:53 PM
#5
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondae View Post
Wow this is sad. Plus the fact that a dss wouldn't have the same components as a fighter and you got EPIC'D FAILED
i said dual stick not DSS

I consult with the 7 sages
03-17-2010, 01:44 AM
#6
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubytes View Post
combat scenario..................
-run up to enemy with left joystick/wheel dodging projectile weapons and what not
-when you get close to the enemy they quickly try to attack you
-lift one of your thumbs off the stick/screen to block the attacks
-return thumb to the stick and tap away to attack enemy
-as you attack the enemy another one rushes you from below or behind your character
-rotate thumb to turn your character towards the enemy and tap to attack them before they have a chance to stop and attack
-rotate thumb again to face the other enemy you were attack previously to finish them off
-dash away from the other enemy that is pursuing you
- lift left or right thumb off the stick
-tap on enemy a few times to throw kunai at them until they are dead
-another enemy appears from above
-dash down a couple times
-lift thumb off either the left or right stick
-swipe across enemy then hold for a brief sec
-lift thumb off screen to unleash a power magic attack
-the enemy is stunned dash towards the enemy
-tap button right above the right stick to switch to your power weapon
-then tap to attack the enemy
-dash away from the enemy after your combo finishes to dodge their counter attacks
-lift both thumbs off screen
-tap and hold on poison bomb
-tap and hold on enemy
-your character will throw a poison bomb
-it hits the enemy
-then they quickly die before they can exit the poison cloud


the two weapons are:
-a quick attack weapon
-a power attack weapon
-the quick attack weapon has long combos and is super fast but does low damage
-the power weapon attacks are slow and there is only a 2 or 3 attack combo but it does moderate damage
-if you have the power weapon equipped you can do finishing moves if enemy has low hp
-the finishing moves should be quick and flashy like you just dash through the enemy and they are cut and fall to the ground
Seems like a very good idea, but I would be worried that the amount of gestures might be hard to remember and be too complicated?

www.oneclickmac.com - News, Reviews and Discussion on Mac App Store Gaming.

Latest Reviews:
RAGE Mafia II Doodle Fit
03-17-2010, 02:05 AM
#7
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmud101 View Post
Seems like a very good idea, but I would be worried that the amount of gestures might be hard to remember and be too complicated?
idk, at this point its hard to say........

i mean the flow sounds and feels legit when i think about it, but there would def need to be extensive testing done to know for sure one way or the other.

I consult with the 7 sages
03-17-2010, 02:36 AM
#8
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Australia, mate!
Posts: 8,419
Everyone has their game ideas. Sadly, no one cares.

hi
03-17-2010, 06:37 PM
#9
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Guy View Post
Everyone has their game ideas. Sadly, no one cares.
Fair enough, but then again I'm not expecting anything here, these are just brainstorming exercises. So if no one cares about my ideas, so be it, i'll just keep practicing and trying even harder to come up with new and better ideas that someone will actually care about one day

I consult with the 7 sages
03-17-2010, 06:44 PM
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Guy View Post
Everyone has their game ideas. Sadly, no one cares.
Translation:

Hi, I'm a douche