★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Urban Tycoon - New Game (giveaway)

10-08-2008, 09:52 AM
Urban Tycoon - New Game (giveaway)

Urban Tycoon (screenshots below) will be released on the App store next week!
YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrNYVyFSd_k

The Apper Review: http://theapper.wordpress.com/2008/1...antycoon-v-10/

Urban Tycoon puts the city in your hands.. literally! Pinch and swipe your way through your city. The goal of Urban Tycoon is to build a financially flourishing metropolis that's environmentally safe and low on crime. As an urban tycoon you will have complete control of your urban area's budget... so spend it wisely.

Version 2.0 hits the app store in November. So get it while it's hot!

** Version 2.0 will bring **

- 3 exciting play modes

- Build your own maps!!

- Town hall menu to get feedback from your residents.

- Destroy buildings to free up land for development.

- More buildings

- Add city programs to help fight crime and pollution

- Descriptions of all buildings and their pro's / con's

Congratulations to all 20 winners of the Urban Tycoon giveaway!! Emails were sent out to all winners around midnight last night.

If you've entered please check your email for instructions on how to download and install onto your iPhone.

We will be doing a 2nd drawing on release date .. so if you've entered and didn't win this time.. your name is still in for the 2nd drawing.

-- NO MORE SUBMISSIONS PLEASE --

Urban Tycoon will be on sale in the AppStore next week for the low price of $1.99
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s3.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	22  

Last edited by TouchSoft; 10-14-2008 at 08:15 PM.
10-08-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm a big fan of the Sim City series, especially of Sim City 2000. Had it on every platform I used, even for DOS, OS/2, the classic Mac OS and the Playstation. I was very disappointed by the Nintendo DS versions of Sim City. So maybe this will fill the gap. How far does the micromanagement goes? And how do you solved the problem of drawing tiny roads under your fat finger?

10-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Remember SimCity 2000 had the feature wher eyou could just sanbox a huge city, and then the game "Streets of SimCity" came out where you could take your city that you either sandboxed or played thorugh, and drive through it. Now that would be something to pay for. Perhaps a future offering could be "Streets of Urban Tycoon." I lvoed that stuff!!

This looks like a great game, hope it plays well, can't wait to try it out.
10-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Yes, this game was inspired by the great SimCity! But it also draws more of it's inspiration from the famous Tycoon games. So it's a mix of both worlds.

Version 1.0 of this app will have less micromanagement than version 2.0 which will allow you to manage energy, crime, pollution, and what city programs your budget will fund.

As for designing the maps... we decided to do it a different way. version 2.0 of the game will come with a Desktop app that you can download for free. The app works on Windows, OSX, and Linux ... a screen shot is below. Basically you build the app on the desktop, click save, and it'll be on your iPhone.

We have lots of room for improvement on the game and we're excited to get feedback from the community on how the game should grow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mapBuilder.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	23  
10-08-2008, 11:03 AM
I've been waiting for a Sim game since the App Store started. I love the idea of the desktop companion. Beatmaker has it and it works well. I will be checking Touch Arcade next week for its release. Thanks for the info.
10-08-2008, 11:12 AM
That's an interesting approach and brings thoughts into my head. Perhaps not good ones, but they're there none-the-less. Integration between desktop and iPhone games. A game you play on your desktop and your iPhone/iPod Touch at the same time. They interact with each other via WiFi. I don't know if that's a good idea or not or even doable, but there you go. You could, for instance, use the iPod/iPhone as a secondary, and touch/motion sensitive display of some sort, for example. I'm sure some clever stuff could be done that would at least make for an interesting novelty.
10-08-2008, 12:44 PM
I've updated the first post with a link to a YouTube sneak peek of the game.
10-08-2008, 01:26 PM
I'll definitely check it out if it's free... If it's a paid app, then I'll wait for EA to release Sim City before I check it out

So yeah, I look forward to it
10-08-2008, 02:08 PM
is it free?
10-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchSoft View Post
Urban Tycoon will be on sale in the AppStore next week for the low price of $1.99
Winners of the drawing will receive a free copy. The App will be $1.99 next week in iTunes.