★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Just recently became a developer, need advice.

03-17-2010, 12:33 AM
Just recently became a developer, need advice.

Okay, you guys all know that I have an app reviewing website right? Well, I just signed up as a developer and have been learning how to use Objective-C, Cocoa, and all of these other thngs.

I need some advice, what is the best way to make a website into an app, how would I auto update it, put RSS. etc.

And should it be free? My app icon is on the website if that helps. I'm a teenager so I am not too good at coding. I could really use some advice. Thanks guys
03-17-2010, 02:46 AM
Well, the first step is to stop annoying me with messages to tell me to check out your site.

hi

03-17-2010, 06:06 AM
Send a message via AIM to kohjingyu
You could just implement a mobile site that checks if the user is on a mobile device, and if he/she is, change the theme.
03-17-2010, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Guy View Post
Well, the first step is to stop annoying me with messages to tell me to check out your site.
/thread
03-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohjingyu View Post
You could just implement a mobile site that checks if the user is on a mobile device, and if he/she is, change the theme.
I don't think I'm up for that. I want to actually start making apps. It's been my life long dream ever since I became a Mac Geek

Anyway. I was wondering if It would be appropriate to insert in an in-app purchase feature that let's my users download my video packs for 0.99. Or is that a bad idea?

Also, I was wondering if you guys no any websites on how to code? Found this thing that does it for you called iPod Wizard, but I don't wanna dish out 129.95.

I am open to all suggestions. Thanks guys. I truly want to make this a great app!
03-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Make it free, put ads, put DLC if you want to. The ads will eventually overtake the cost of iPod wizard.
03-17-2010, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da shiz wiz 19 View Post
Make it free, put ads, put DLC if you want to. The ads will eventually overtake the cost of iPod wizard.
Okay, This is gonna take forever. I have no clue how to code.
03-18-2010, 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin:] View Post
Okay, This is gonna take forever. I have no clue how to code.
Hi Austin I think you might have a long road ahead of you. If you really have "no clue" how to code I think you might need to take a step back, and postpone the iPhone side of things for a while. On the other hand you did write:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin:] View Post
I just signed up as a developer and have been learning how to use Objective-C, Cocoa, and all of these other thngs.
Which indicates that you should at least have a clue. I also think your question is probably a bit to vague for people to answer at this stage.