★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: 2d-cubed.com
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 11.2 MB
  • Version: v1.3
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (4)
App description: GravSpace is an exciting and fun new take on the classic cave-flyer gravity game taking advantage of the iPhone accelerometer and multi-touch control + the advanced graphics and sound offered by OpenGL ES and OpenAL.

(It's also possible to play without the accelerometer since version 1.2)

You are humanity's last hope in a war against the evil Zyritons. You have been assigned the task of flying a specially designed GravShip to capture the Zyriton energy pods which have been hidden on planets across the galaxy.
The pods are protected by a highly sophisticated automated defense system and are located in caves of varying depth beneath the planet surfaces.
You will need to defend yourself using the GravShip shield and its lazer and plasma explosion weapons.
Once you have found the energy pod you will need to use great skill and precision to negotiate the caves and bring it back to the surface and out to space using the GravShip teleportation beam.

FEATURES:

- A great sensation of gravity/motion.
- Fantastic backdrop graphics, and particle explosion effects.
- Precise collision detection and response to control input.
- Superb stereo sound effects such as explosions and retro style lazer and gun sounds.
- 4 difficulty levels ranging from Novice (no crashing/auto aim) to Thrust Master.
- 14 missions of increasing difficulty and depth with increasing numbers and variety of enemy defense positions + 14 bonus 'retro graphics' missions.
- Original in game and menu space themed music.
- Choose between accelerometer or rotary touch steering control.
- Adjustable and reversible accelerometer input.
- Intuitive user interface and finger friendly menu system.
- Allows background playback of your own music.

REQUIREMENTS:
iPod Touch/iPhone OS 2.2.1
03-17-2010, 05:41 PM

03-17-2010, 05:48 PM
Looks a lot like Thrust (and that's not a bad thing! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
03-17-2010, 05:50 PM
Heh, I'd thought about making this.
Wonder how good it is...
03-21-2010, 09:37 AM
Thrust was my favourite game

Hi, I'm the developer of GravSpace.

The original 'Thrust' game is one of my all-time favourites, and so I have worked very hard to make a game which plays as well as and has the same dynamic feeling of movement and gravity as the original game - something I feel is lacking from other games in this genre available on the app store.

Just like the original game, this one is also fairly tricky, and has that same extra motion dynamic once the pod is picked up.

I think some people may find the game is quite challenging, demanding quite a bit of skill and patience - it's not the kind of game you go in all guns blazing.. that just won't work However, for me, that challenge is what makes me want to play it again and again.

Anyway, I have taken some peoples feedback into mind, and will be releasing an update soon with a couple of alternate control options designed for the more casual gamers (such as rotation without accelerometer).

Thanks for your comments, and enjoy! (and please help me spread the word about this game if you like it - I'm just a small one man team - ie. me with no real advertising budget.)

Cheers,
Paul.
03-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Its a lot of fun, I am really enjoying it, great controls, opengl es makes it really look stunning!!!!

I posted a review on Itunes on Friday but it hasnt seemed to pop up on there yet.

I cant believe you made this one by yourself!
03-21-2010, 10:07 AM
Hi,
Thanks for your positive comments pcgeek73.
This is actually my first ever game project! on any platform! .. before that I used to write UIs for digital radios... so boring ..

Back in October, I barely knew how to display a pixel on the iPhone screen - so I'm fairly happy with what I did, but I have put in a lot of late nights... I hope it's going to be worth my effort

Paul.
03-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKPaul View Post
Hi, I'm the developer of GravSpace.

The original 'Thrust' game is one of my all-time favourites, and so I have worked very hard to make a game which plays as well as and has the same dynamic feeling of movement and gravity as the original game - something I feel is lacking from other games in this genre available on the app store.
Perhaps you didn't play this game http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...ght=cave+flyer. In my opinion it's one of the best game in therm of graphics, sound and playbility but it didn't get the attention it deserved, as well as other games, of differente genres, like Hydro Tilt XL, Resco Bubbles, :Shift, Holographic Maze, Ball-x, Primitives, Little Metal Ball and the now defunct CockRoach Racing 3d.... Just for the record, the last one has the best graphics ever seen on the Iphone, what a pity the devoleper or Apple (who knows?) has pulled it out from the Appstore....

p.s. sorry for my bad english....
03-22-2010, 04:01 AM
Hi Takaya, your English is fine!

Yes I did try out 'Retro', it has got some very-very nice graphics, but it doesn't incorporate the extra complication and motion dynamic of picking up a pod, and firing at enemies.
For me it was a little too repetitive in that respect. Also if the ship hits the cave walls it just bounces away. In GravSpace you really have to work hard to avoid crashing into walls too, and there are reverse gravity traps and other tricky things to negotiate such as laser doors that only stay open for a short while after being hit.
Finally I found the motion of the ship in 'Retro' is a little too slow making the game a little un-exiting for me personally. It's just my personal opinion.
I'm only really comparing with similar 'Thruster' style games - the other games I'm
sure are all great too though. There are so many great games available it's difficult to know about them all.

I'm sure if you are a fan of these kind of 'Thruster' games there should be room on your iPhone/iPod for several of them, and I hope you can find the space and time to try out GravSpace. If you enjoy those games you mentioned I'm sure you'll enjoy GravSpace too.

Last edited by HKPaul; 03-22-2010 at 04:02 AM. Reason: typo fix
03-22-2010, 05:56 AM
Thank you for your answer and for considering fine my english, I know my english is pretty low par.... As for your game I saw some videos on YT and I'm looking for it. I agree with your comment about "the extra complication and motion dynamic of picking up a pod, and firing at enemies". Personally I like more the first extra, and less the second one. I want you to know that my "defense" of Retro it's not intended to understimate GraveSpace, but a cry to let gamers know that too many great games are slippering from their "fingers"..... And if you think at the success of apps like Ifart and so on, you wonder what's in the people's heads..... Bye....

Last edited by takaya; 03-22-2010 at 06:05 AM. Reason: .