★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Back to the '80s

03-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Back to the '80s

I'm really curious to know what's the hardware limit of Iphone 3Gs/Ipod Touch 3G about graphics.

Most of the games in the App Store looks like games from the '80s and only few of the other seems products that comes from the mid-90's...so i want to know if there is a range in which developers can improve graphics or not, because i think that Iphone 3gs/Iphone 3G has better hardware thant a GameBoy Advance but the results it's the same.

I know that a lot of people said that Iphone it is a phone mainly and Ipod Touch it is a Mp3 player, but Apple are pushing Ipod Touch as a game platform so I wonder it.

Thanks in advance for the attention and sorry for my bad english.

~ Alec
03-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alectwin View Post
I'm really curious to know what's the hardware limit of Iphone 3Gs/Ipod Touch 3G about graphics.

Most of the games in the App Store looks like games from the '80s and only few of the other seems products that comes from the mid-90's...so i want to know if there is a range in which developers can improve graphics or not, because i think that Iphone 3gs/Iphone 3G has better hardware thant a GameBoy Advance but the results it's the same.

I know that a lot of people said that Iphone it is a phone mainly and Ipod Touch it is a Mp3 player, but Apple are pushing Ipod Touch as a game platform so I wonder it.

Thanks in advance for the attention and sorry for my bad english.

~ Alec
Go play Call of Duty: World at War: Zombies, Brothers in Arms 2, Doom Resurrection, and Street Fighter IV. That should answer your question.

03-17-2010, 07:38 PM
The '80s!? Have you ever actually played a game from the '80s?
03-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmn0210 View Post
The '80s!? Have you ever actually played a game from the '80s?
Monochrome
03-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Yes I did, I had a Comodore Vic-20 when I was 3...

...I said '80s as a provocation...most of the games' graphic it is similar to 90's-mid 90's style...but usually who cares about '90s?!?

/Discuss

03-17-2010, 07:57 PM
Quote:
but usually who cares about '90s?!?

/Discuss
The 90's had the best games! It went from the NES to the SNES to the N64... and all systems had some of the best games of all time! I don't see how you can just not care about the 90's.
03-17-2010, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Yes I did, I had a Comodore Vic-20 when I was 3...

...I said '80s as a provocation...most of the games' graphic it is similar to 90's-mid 90's style...but usually who cares about '90s?!?

/Discuss

Some iPod games look even better than PSP ones and DS ones.

Note: I said some.

Street Fighter IV, for example, is something I'd expect to see on the DS, but it's on the iPhone and iPod Touch and it looks pretty damn good.

Another example is Assassins Creed II: Discovery. Ubisoft themselves admit that the iPhone and iPod Touch version is better and has more than the DS version.
03-17-2010, 08:01 PM
Quote:
The Game Boy Advanced was originally released in 2001. Here's what a game from the mid-eighties looks like:

Youtube link | Pop Up

There are a number of titles in the App Store that are either direct ports or purposely imitate this style. Then again, there are other that look like this:

Youtube link | Pop Up

or this

Youtube link | Pop Up
03-17-2010, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunning View Post
Some iPod games look even better than PSP ones and DS ones.

Note: I said some.

Street Fighter IV, for example, is something I'd expect to see on the DS, but it's on the iPhone and iPod Touch and it looks pretty damn good.

Another example is Assassins Creed II: Discovery. Ubisoft themselves admit that the iPhone and iPod Touch version is better and has more than the DS version.
And to add to that, GTA: Chinatown Wars looks WAY better than its DS counterpart and has the same graphics as it did on the PSP. Same thing with Assassin's Creed 1. It had graphics equal to that of the DS, but had some updates like voice acting, albeit pretty crappy voice acting.
03-17-2010, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomdude View Post
The 90's had the best games! It went from the NES to the SNES to the N64... and all systems had some of the best games of all time! I don't see how you can just not care about the 90's.
Oooh...I don't want to offend '90s...generally '80s has a better consideration because of music, movies and other kind of things...i'm 27 so I perfectly know what means play in the '90s (very great time!!!)