★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Message to any game devs

02-07-2009, 07:40 PM
#1
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Cali-forn-i-a
Posts: 2,302
Message to any game devs

Ok, i am a beginner but just had a question. I am about halfway through my Learn C book, and i dont understand for the life of me how a game can be made out of this. Maybe i just havent gotten to that part in the book yet, or maybe it comes in on one of my later books, but right now all i am learning is things like printf, if-else statements, variables, operators, etc. Just general coding stuff.

So i guess my overall question is, how does a game work?

dirty deeds and their dunderchee
02-07-2009, 08:15 PM
#2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman919 View Post
Ok, i am a beginner but just had a question. I am about halfway through my Learn C book, and i dont understand for the life of me how a game can be made out of this. Maybe i just havent gotten to that part in the book yet, or maybe it comes in on one of my later books, but right now all i am learning is things like printf, if-else statements, variables, operators, etc. Just general coding stuff.

So i guess my overall question is, how does a game work?
That's already enough to write a simple text adventure (I've got a sample one I wrote years ago but it's a Codewarrior format, so I'll have to convert it to Xcode at some point).

02-07-2009, 08:28 PM
#3
RocketMan, check out some of our tutorials. Especially the ones on animation. That should give you some idea of how a game could possibly be developed!

Last edited by Schenk Studios; 02-07-2009 at 09:18 PM.
02-07-2009, 09:28 PM
#4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman919 View Post
Maybe i just havent gotten to that part in the book yet, or maybe it comes in on one of my later books, but right now all i am learning is things like printf, if-else statements, variables, operators, etc. Just general coding stuff.
That's what games are made of...lots and lots of "general coding stuff". Think of those things as building blocks. Unfortunately (or maybe not), there isn't a magic "make a game" command.

--Eric
02-08-2009, 03:15 AM
#5
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Bozeman, Montana
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5h5 View Post
That's what games are made of...lots and lots of "general coding stuff". Think of those things as building blocks. Unfortunately (or maybe not), there isn't a magic "make a game" command.

--Eric
Yep! Unlike what many people think, you don't type in "make awesome game," press Enter, then have an awesome game appear on your desktop.
02-08-2009, 04:59 AM
#6
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Cali-forn-i-a
Posts: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5h5 View Post
That's what games are made of...lots and lots of "general coding stuff". Think of those things as building blocks. Unfortunately (or maybe not), there isn't a magic "make a game" command.

--Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodtouchuser View Post
Yep! Unlike what many people think, you don't type in "make awesome game," press Enter, then have an awesome game appear on your desktop.
I know that. You didn't answer my question. Let me rephrase it. How do lines of text and pictures form a playable game?

dirty deeds and their dunderchee
02-08-2009, 08:56 AM
#7
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman919 View Post
I know that. You didn't answer my question. Let me rephrase it. How do lines of text and pictures form a playable game?
I feel a zen moment coming on.

Philosophy aside, you've learned a little about a language, and the next step is to learn how to apply it in a specific environment. So Obj-C, is useful in Cocoa, where Cocoa contains all the code for handling platform-specific functionality: displaying images and text, accessing data, input, etc.. (read about the meaning of API's and Frameworks)

Once you have a better grasp on how to make things move around and generally do the stuff you'd like it to, you can plan a game. Start with utterly basic stuff, no matter how ambitious you are... too much ambition too early will just lead you down complicated roads and you'll learn nothing and be frustrated by everything.

Bring much patience...

Last edited by Modus; 02-08-2009 at 08:59 AM.
03-02-2009, 10:01 PM
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodtouchuser View Post
Yep! Unlike what many people think, you don't type in "make awesome game," press Enter, then have an awesome game appear on your desktop.
ahhahahahahahhHAHHAHaha thats the funniest thing ive ever read in a forum LOL OMG hahahahah
03-02-2009, 11:26 PM
#9
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 4,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodtouchuser View Post
Yep! Unlike what many people think, you don't type in "make awesome game," press Enter, then have an awesome game appear on your desktop.
That certainly explains a lot

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
03-03-2009, 01:22 AM
#10
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: The Land of The Rising Sun
Posts: 146
I guess your question has to do with interfaces? So lines and graphics can become a game when you learn how to change the lines and graphics in response to something the user does, like a keystroke or, in the iPod Touch's case, a tap on the screen. Does that answer your question?

Developer of Petri. Available now on the iTunes Store.

These days I work with Tonchidot on Sekai Camera.