★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Project Management Software

03-17-2010, 11:13 PM
Project Management Software

I am curious what project management software other devs here are using/have used. How would you rate is effectiveness, cost, and scalability?

Last edited by OldAggie96; 03-17-2010 at 11:26 PM.
03-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Basecamp works well for us, as a way to set and keep track of milestones and to-do lists, and see what everyone is working on. I think it's about $30/month. The company is also pretty good about implementing feature requests.

03-18-2010, 02:52 PM
We use our own unique blend of agile project management techniques and currently use our own web-based software that just sits on out intranet and takes care of pretty much everything.

Just recently we were told about Pivotal Tracker which looks pretty good, anybody have any experience with it?

Check out Sheepish, 100+ levels of puzzle fun! With sheep!
And more about us: www.pixelthismobile.com
plus+ id: Newtz
03-19-2010, 01:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelthisMike View Post
Just recently we were told about Pivotal Tracker which looks pretty good, anybody have any experience with it?
Thanks for mentioning this. I will have to toy around with with this a bit more but I just watched the video and it looks pretty good.
09-20-2011, 04:05 PM
Sorry to dig up this old topic

I was looking into project management software myself today, I had a look at the open source Endaevour package, which seemed quite nice. I was a bit disappointed with its time graph.

Can any one recommend a good solution? What are your experiences on running a package on an in-house version as opposed to a paid service?

ROTOR GAMES dutch independent video game developer est 2010.

In development of "Final Run", 3D 3rd person driving action game for iOS since January 2011. Scheduled for release mid-February! Follow us on Twitter, Facebook!
09-22-2011, 04:32 AM
We are using OnTime which is part of the scrum project management setup.

Very handy

Natascha "Kyena" Roosli - Rock Pocket Games
Facebook - Twitter - Oliver&Spike
09-22-2011, 09:51 AM
+1 for Basecamp. Although I use it for more traditional project management as in art production or marketing campaigns. I haven't found it as helpful in managing an Agile development process so I'm going to check out OnTime.
09-23-2011, 01:53 AM
JIRA : if you want sophisticated software for ALL your needs.
Pivotal Tracker : clean, easy to use. not so many features, but it also does not block your workflow with details.
Redmine : one of the best open source - free to use software management solution. not hosted.

Our games: Patch Catch, Magical Hats
Follow he2 apps on twitter: http://twitter.com/he2apps
09-23-2011, 03:34 AM
This sounds pretty lame to some but I've been making games for 15 years so hear me out.

I just use mantis bug tracker. Every task is a bug (tagged as a feature) and every bug is a bug.

For the current milestone (next week or two). I mark all bugs/features that need doing as Immediate. Any features/bugs I'd like to do are marked as Urgent and they get done if there is time.

How scalable is this? Well it doesn't really go beyond a few users but I've used it in a team of 4 experienced developers/artists and it's fine.

We host it on our own domain so it's cheap and effective.

YMMV
09-23-2011, 03:54 AM
yeah it works if you put some effort into developing your "rule sets".. the problem with many bug tracking only solutions (like mantis) is that you can not _easily_ set a finish date or story point thing to what you track.

But it all comes down to the point: you should USE some sort of tracking, and get the habit of using it _regularly_.. a todo list with pen and paper should be a good start to track

Our games: Patch Catch, Magical Hats
Follow he2 apps on twitter: http://twitter.com/he2apps