★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Bobble Surfer Feedback

02-08-2009, 02:30 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Bobble Surfer Feedback

Hi everyone,

I'm one of the developers of Bobble Surfer ($0.99) and Bobble Surfer Free! Although we get a fair bit of feedback from reviews and emails, we're interested in opening up a bit more discussion about the type of features people are looking for in Bobble Surfer!

If your only comment is 'it sucks', you can probably keep that to yourself, but if you've got something to ask, something to suggest or just anything constructive at all please let us know! The whole dev team will be watching this space, so don't hold back!

Cheers,

Wade Perry
Programmer
Lemur Software

Last edited by salsamd; 04-01-2009 at 01:53 PM.
02-08-2009, 03:04 AM
Wade, appearantly you've logged off, however I'm hoping you'll be checking back in.

I bought Bobble Surfer 5 days ago and even though I have a multitude of new apps, I find myself drawn to it, constantly. I have already reviewed the game on iTunes (rich_952000, 5 stars), and had looked at the website listed under the app description. On said website there is no mention of Bobble Surfer!

My question is this: on the two levels with the breaking waves, what am I supposed to do? I have tried going left toward the break, in almost every possibe area, my score indicates about 1600 and I "wipe-out" every single time.

Besides this the game is addictive (seriously), and the accelerometer controls and game physics are spot-on!

BTW: welcome to Toucharcade, hope you stay active here.

Last edited by rich_952000; 02-08-2009 at 03:07 AM.

02-08-2009, 03:32 AM
Totally Awesome Game! I can land a triple flip. That is my best so far, though i feel that a quadruple is possible Very easy to slip into a psychological state of FLOW playing this game! Wave physics feel just right. Just let favorite tunes play in the background, and catch some surf. Groundbreaking gaming, in my opinion. Keep it up!
02-08-2009, 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_952000 View Post
Wade, appearantly you've logged off, however I'm hoping you'll be checking back in.

I bought Bobble Surfer 5 days ago and even though I have a multitude of new apps, I find myself drawn to it, constantly. I have already reviewed the game on iTunes (rich_952000, 5 stars), and had looked at the website listed under the app description. On said website there is no mention of Bobble Surfer!

My question is this: on the two levels with the breaking waves, what am I supposed to do? I have tried going left toward the break, in almost every possibe area, my score indicates about 1600 and I "wipe-out" every single time.

Besides this the game is addictive (seriously), and the accelerometer controls and game physics are spot-on!

BTW: welcome to Toucharcade, hope you stay active here.
hi rich, i might be able to help you as i am one of the Bobble Surfer Dev's. In either Triggs or Jacksons (which are the two barrel breaks) you need to tilt the iphone/ipod to the left, which will turn you to the right hand> side of the screen.

Now i think i understand what you are saying, and this is what you need to do. the two barrels we have released in this version are 'lefthanders'. which means the barrel is moving towards the right hand side of the screen. Generally what i do on 'Jacksons' is turn directly into the barrel Then 'Cutback' (turn around and go with the wave). if you go too far into the barrel you will wipeout. think of it as if there is a brick wall at the left hand side of the screen where the whitewater reaches the top of the wave. if you go too far into the barrel you will get munched.

Now Triggs on the other hand is a much harder break, being so small the tight barrel is hard to get in. what i do is as soon as the waves starts i emedeatly tilt the ipod to the left so 'bob' the surfer Cuts hard to the right hand side> this will get you onto the wave. Then comes the task of trying to get in the barrel. You will need to use the 'stall' function to slow yourself down when your in line with the barrel (traveling with the barrel) and inch your way into it. This is done but tilting the top of the ipod vertically (be care you if done to fast you will lose speed and get drilled).

I hope this answers your question, and im glad to hear your enjoying the game.

Have fun

p.s yeah im working on the website now... it needs updating, we've just been flat out working on bobble surfer

Ash Charlish
Graphic Designer
Lemur Software
02-08-2009, 03:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qUAntUm k View Post
Totally Awesome Game! I can land a triple flip. That is my best so far, though i feel that a quadruple is possible Very easy to slip into a psychological state of FLOW playing this game! Wave physics feel just right. Just let favorite tunes play in the background, and catch some surf. Groundbreaking gaming, in my opinion. Keep it up!
Hi, Thanks for your support, it means alot to us to know people are enjoying the game.

I know what you mean, being a surfer myself i too find myself playing it quite alot, i just need more battery life! gen 3 anyone? i've found its also good to play while waiting for fish an chips lol.

Ash Charlish
Graphic Designer
Lemur Software
02-08-2009, 03:48 AM
Love the game , had it from before the update. When you wipeout the game jumps and I have to go to the menu to restart all the time. Could the surfer maybe be taken out of the wave? Also on the waves with breaks if you stay out of the break you are sucked to the top of the wave, and you can't move anywhere. This gets annoying.

That's all the grudges, one bit that could be added is the ability to customize the surfer??I'd like that

Thanks, your game I'd alot of fun
02-08-2009, 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_952000 View Post
Rich, at the moment there are two basic ways of getting a score - landing a big jump, and getting yourself deep in a barrel.

The best way to get into a barrel is to get yourself nice and steady in front of the wave (heading towards the right of screen in the same direction the wave is breaking), and back gently into it. Gently lean the phone backwards (ie, stand it up) so that the wave very slowly catches you up, and eventually is breaking over the top of you. Once you're in, enjoy the moment (this is as good as surfing gets!), then lean the phone forward again so that you accelerate out of the barrel and ahead of the wave again.

Its a definite art (which is what we were after), and as you get better you'll be able to get yourself deeper and deeper and rack up bigger and bigger scores. If you're still having trouble let me know and I'll put together a tutorial or something with screenshots! Or grab a screenshot while you're in there and show it off
02-08-2009, 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qUAntUm k View Post
Thats what we want to hear! From the moment I heard about an accelerometer I wanted to do a surfing game. Its tricky, and there is a learning curve, but thats what makes it rewarding to play!
02-08-2009, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainter View Post
Love the game , had it from before the update. When you wipeout the game jumps and I have to go to the menu to restart all the time. Could the surfer maybe be taken out of the wave? Also on the waves with breaks if you stay out of the break you are sucked to the top of the wave, and you can't move anywhere. This gets annoying.

That's all the grudges, one bit that could be added is the ability to customize the surfer??I'd like that

Thanks, your game I'd alot of fun
We actually put together a system for lives on a wave, but were planning on using that for the new 'Extreme Surf' only. I would definitely consider including it in Pro Surf if enough people thought that would be an improvement. For example, when you got sucked into the barrel you'd lose a heart and respawn just outside the barrel.

As for getting sucked to the top of the wave, is there any chance you could post a screenshot or something so that I can see what you mean?
02-08-2009, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade View Post
We actually put together a system for lives on a wave, but were planning on using that for the new 'Extreme Surf' only. I would definitely consider including it in Pro Surf if enough people thought that would be an improvement. For example, when you got sucked into the barrel you'd lose a heart and respawn just outside the barrel.

As for getting sucked to the top of the wave, is there any chance you could post a screenshot or something so that I can see what you mean?
I am on my iPod but I have the pictures, I will post them up tomorrow