Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > Upcoming iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Developer
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x

Default Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demons Reach --- First Info!

UPDATE:

Well, I finally sat down to wrestle with iShowU HD, the iPhone Simulator, and iMovie to create an updated video of Spirit Hunter Mineko's progress! I'm not sure how to set 480P as default with the youtube forum codes, so please switch to 480P manually in the lower right corner to see the graphics in better detail

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Please forgive any choppy parts in the video. Recording in the simulator has never worked perfectly for me! Testing this on my various devices shows the motion to be silky smooth, and very low CPU usage...

Jump to Page 16 to catch up with the new info associated with this video!

Some of you here have been wondering what the heck I've been up to since the last update to Rogue Touch, so I think it's about time to start talking about my next game... one of several I have planned for 2010! Hopefully I don't get lost in the buzz over Square-Enix and Crescent Moon announcements and teasers

Announcing my first new title for the year:
Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demons Reach

-----

Preface: Rogue Touch was my primer in iPhone programming. Working on RT taught me a lot about what constitutes "fun" in game design, as well as how to create a touch-driven interface for a game that required a ton of buttons (an entire keyboard!) to play. I was handcuffed to the original concept of rogue for that game, but was able to make a pretty unique experience that still stands out today... including being featured by Apple last year, picked as one of the best games of 2009 here at TouchArcade, and picked as one of the top 10 iPhone RPGs at Gamepro!

With Spirit Hunter Mineko I'm free to do all sorts of genre-expanding things! The core game remains essentially roguelike / dungeon crawler-ish but with unique monsters, gameplay mechanics and graphics- the world and design are my own, not based on an existing roguelike. The iPhone needs more turn based RPGs, and I plan on helping to fill that gap

I'll be using this thread to answer questions and show off work in progress images and video for SHM-DR, with more details regularly throughout the development process. A cave spelunking tech-demo will be coming shortly!

-----

To begin, let me introduce you to Mineko: she's an average teenage girl, stubborn, short-tempered and rebellious, but with an insatiable curiosity and desire for adventure! Living in a secluded mountaintop village with her family, she finds many opportunities for exploration, spelunking, and sparring with tough monsters. Mineko is a Spirit Hunter, and has been training since childhood in the ways of channeling and manipulating her spirit to perform magical feats. Recognized as very advanced in skill for her age, it infuriates her to still be treated as a child by everyone in the village, especially by her older brother and her own mother!

One dark night a vicious storm kicks up, tearing through the valley below and whistling through the peaks that she calls home. Upon waking the next day, Mineko and every last member of the village are amazed to see that this was no ordinary storm! Down in the valley that previously contained nothing but dense forest, a huge castle has materialized... apparently from thin air! Its sinister appearance, as though an enormous evil hand was stretching out of the earth towards some unseen desire, immediately earns it the name "Demons Reach".

The village council decides that it would be best to send a scout into the valley to investigate, and choose Mineko's older brother for the task. Outraged at the possibility of missing out on the greatest adventure ever, she has some choice words for everyone... Unfortunately, this does not help her situation and she is ordered to remain behind, and then (the horror!) grounded and sent to her room!

Mineko is not one to sit back and take that lightly. Fortunately she's been sneaking out of the house regularly and going on adventures for *years* now. Grabbing a dagger and her trusty crossbow, she kicks back the rug next to her bed and reveals a trap door. Mineko grins... "let them try to stop me!"

Where did Demons Reach come from? Why is it here, and if things are as bad as it looks, what can you do to stop it? You'll be playing the role of Mineko as she tries to learn the answers to these questions, or die trying!

Last edited by CommanderData; 05-30-2010 at 10:12 AM..
Old 03-18-2010, 03:06 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

THE MAN can't keep Mineko down!
Old 03-18-2010, 03:13 PM

Send a message via MSN to JoshCM

Congrats man - looking forward to this!
Old 03-18-2010, 03:15 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nice!

Will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread!
Old 03-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Developer
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshCM View Post
Congrats man - looking forward to this!
Thanks, I'm honored... always nice to get a nod from a fellow RPG dev, even better from Mr. 3D RPG himself! Of course I'm looking forward to Ravensword 2 and Rimelands as well! Can't get enough of the genre, guess that's why I'm driven to create my own games

Quote:
Originally Posted by drelbs View Post
Nice!

Will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread!

I'll do my best to keep updates coming on a fairly regular basis throughout this project! I have a YouTube "tech-demo" processing right now, and will share that little sneak-peek here later tonight. Of course it's still a long, winding road to app-store submission, but I think it'll be worth the wait!
Old 03-18-2010, 10:51 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Played Rogue Touch to death back in the day, looking forward to it! You have a great history of community interaction / updates.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:01 PM
iPod Touch (2nd Gen), OS 3.x

If I am not mistaken, I think I saw a picture that you throw to us in another thread about a future project. If this is the same it looks awesome! Anyways it is going to be awesome just because it come from the same dev who made Rogue Touch. Can't wait!
Any idea when is coming out?

Last edited by GordonFreeman; 03-18-2010 at 11:06 PM..
Old 03-18-2010, 11:17 PM

I love you
Old 03-18-2010, 11:21 PM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonFreeman View Post
If I am not mistaken, I think I saw a picture that you throw to us in another thread about a future project. If this is the same it looks awesome! Anyways it is going to be awesome just because it come from the same dev who made Rogue Touch. Can't wait!
Any idea when is coming out?
He can't tell you. Why? Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight...

Sorry, I just had to.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:50 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Putting something like "from the developer of Rogue Touch" might get a few more fans too. Just an idea