★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Daniel Navarro
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 6.5 MB
  • Version: 1.3
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Vectron, takes you back to the year 1979, when arcades where something new to the people and the graphics where not very important like now.
If you like Space Invaders and Phoenix, you will love this game, with the sounds and feeling of true arcades from dose days.

-5 enemies
-2 big Boss
-Hiscores On-line

goiMot's comments:

I found a video of the android version:
03-18-2010, 08:56 PM
I TOFTT. Here are a few thoughts:

1. On startup I get "movie format not supported". Not exactly off to a great start.

2. The controls are cramped to where I keep pressing the "start" button and pausing the game. This game really should have been placed on its side.

3. The game itself is a pretty bog standard space invaders clone with bloom effect added. Nothing we haven't seen before. In fact, I really am not feeling any attachment to the gameplay. It lacks... character.

4. The sound effects are grating. I know they were "industry standard" back in 1979, but then many of us muted our TVs. It's a very different thing to have a device up in your face that is making shrill noises at you. (I almost didn't purchase this after hearing the video, but then I was like, "I can kind of see some Phoenix in there..." Meh.)

5. "What's your vector, Victor?" Vectron is a terrible name. This is not related to anything vector based. Besides that, Vectron was a very popular game on the Intellivision system. I seriously doubt this will come up above the classic Inty game in Google searches. (Besides, the Blue Sky Rangers are still selling that old stuff in modern compilations and might take issue with the name.)

6. Speaking of "classic" 1979 gameplay, this game fails to capture that. You need to either go whole hog and make everything feel truly classic, or go artistic and capture the flavor of people's memories with truly new (and not so grating!) content.

If they wanted to go the former route, they needed to drop the start button (hadn't been invented yet*), replace the DPad (4-Way?) with two classic, cherry switch buttons, drop the bloom effect (CRTs didn't really do that), give a warm CRT blur to the graphics in the foreground, add a faded but sharp backdrop, and drop the star-field. (The star-field generator was a Namco innovation first seen in Galaxian in December of 1979. Ergo, most players associate star-fields with 80's games. Particularly the sequel to Galaxian: Galaga)

All in all, I suspect this came to the iPhone because it wasn't getting any takers on Android. It feels like a typical Android game though (which is to say, substandard), so I really can't recommend it.

* I know it's supposed to look like a 1 player button, but that's not what it does. In addition, the player buttons back then were very small red buttons that were hard to push. Granted, numerous re-releases of popular 70's games have obscured the original hardware.

Last edited by thewiirocks; 03-18-2010 at 09:00 PM.
06-22-2010, 12:42 PM
now FREE

Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.
06-22-2010, 01:48 PM
Meh. Not diggin' it. It looks like a game that's trying to be retro, designed by someone who never really played any of them. It's not vector, it's raster; rasters didn't bloom (vectors did), and it looks like someone just took Space Invaders-style characters and threw them into a Galaga-style game.

Even free, I'll pass.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko