★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Lux Touch

10-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Lux Touch

I haven't seen a review for it.

It's a free Risk sim. Has a desktop cousin with (Lux Deluxe) and will soon have a presumably pay version (Lux DLX) cousin for the iPod/iPhone.

I found it last night played it through 5 times or so over the course of a few hours.

It's good, considering the price, maybe even great...but...

It could be better, much better.

The AI is not too bad. It puts up a modest challenge and will likely sometimes beat you. Each color AI seems to have a different stock strategy. For example the Red player will attempt to balance the number of pieces in each country.

It appears that the DLX version will fix many of the obvious features it needs. Namely, multiplayer hot seat/network play and some customization of game rules (I dislike the ever increasing number of units from card trade-ins).

However, I'm not sure if that version will fix the biggest annoyance that I find with the game. The fixed whole world aspect ratio. It would be ideal if we could use the standard touch controls. Pinch to zoom in, spread to zoom out, and tap tap to zoom to whole world, finger scrolling in all directions. Without this the controls will always be considered lacking in my opinion.

I will say this, just having the touch interface beats using a mouse.
10-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Try Virtual Conquest. It seems to be more like what you're looking for. The dev contributes to these forums. there was a whole thread about it.
10-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Here's the post for Virtual Conquest [app store].
10-08-2008, 07:27 PM
although i am enjoying playing lux touch
i have discovered, in the event that you lose...this being my first for just bad positioning from the getgo
there are no menu options, or way to end the game unless someone wins
with me being dead, i have to watch the computer duke it out....they've been going at it for about 30 minutes now, in a dead heat...and i can't stop the game...it has drained by battery

this to me ruins the game...cause i can't play it
10-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mek View Post
although i am enjoying playing lux touch
i have discovered, in the event that you lose...this being my first for just bad positioning from the getgo
there are no menu options, or way to end the game unless someone wins
with me being dead, i have to watch the computer duke it out....they've been going at it for about 30 minutes now, in a dead heat...and i can't stop the game...it has drained by battery

this to me ruins the game...cause i can't play it
Just exit to the home screen....

Lux Touch doesn't have a resume play function so it starts you ever everytime you exit
10-09-2008, 12:57 AM
This seems like the free version, a prelude to the full paid version. If you have the desktop version of Lux Delux, you will know that this game is not just risk. It's a battle sim. Some maps have castle and towns, pretty awesome stuff.