★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Padlock is the game for anyone who as ever tried to crack a combination lock by ear. Listen carefully for the correct combination without getting distracted by police sirens, barking dogs, car horns and more! Top the online leaderboards by cracking the code in record time!

Padlock works just like a normal combination lock. Listen carefully to the clicks while you turn the dial. The click of the correct combination is slightly different from the other numbers. This is one of the few games out there that relies on your skill in listening, and the sound is awesome. Designed for headphones, the game features several minutes of pro-quality urban sound effects (in stereo) that distract you from cracking the code. Imagine listening carefully to the lock when car suddenly screeches to a stop.

There is also a "hint" mode that doesn't require sound so you can play secretly during class.

thekellen's comments:
Check out my FREE game called Padlock!

App store link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/padlock/id362424429?mt=8

Get the fastest time in the online leaderboards and win!

It's time for me to start giving back to the site from which I have taken so much. Include a reference to Toucharcade (TA, toucharcade.com, etc...) as part of your user name to be eligible to win and to help promote our favorite website! Just tap where it says "Leaderboards" in the Best Times menu to bring up the online leaderboards.

I will give a $10 iTunes gift card out for each of the following best times:
  • Safecracker Mode before midnight March 23 (midnight eastern time)
  • Locksmith Mode before midnight March 27
  • Picklock Mode before midnight April 1 (no foolin'!)
  • Hint Mode before midnight April 5
  • Safecracker Mode again before midnight April 9
If you have the fastest time, check back here so I can give you your gift card. If there's a tie, I will randomly select the winner.

This is a great game for anyone that has ever tried to crack a combination lock by ear. Listen carefully to the clicks - the correct combination will sound slightly different. There are city sounds (sirens, car horns, dogs, etc...) that will try to distract you. This is a unique experience - one of the few games out there that relies on your skill in listening.

The best part about this game is the sound, and headphones are highly recommended. There's also a Hint Mode that doesn't need sound so you can play during class!

The video below shows playing the game on the easiest difficulty. The video is not high quality but the game is free so you have nothing to lose!

Post your comments and questions below!

Youtube link | Pop Up

03-20-2010, 02:26 PM
Game Impressions

Thanks for the freebie! Love it. A completely new gameplay.

Spice it up with some more sceneries (harbour, airport, metro, railway station, supermarket, garage, building site, forest, desert). The sound is technically very good balanced.

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)

03-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback! I have been thinking about how to add more variety and those are great suggestions. I've also considered adding more urban 'distraction' sounds for more variety.

So is it better to have several background images that are all 'city' themed with a lot of city sounds, or is it better to have several different themes, each with fewer sounds?

The constraint is the 20 mb 3g download limit.

I'm interested in what everyone thinks on this.
03-20-2010, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekellen View Post
Thanks for the positive feedback! I have been thinking about how to add more variety and those are great suggestions. I've also considered adding more urban 'distraction' sounds for more variety.
You are on the right way. The sounds seem casual and are throughout believable. They show up by chance, right?

Quote:
So is it better to have several background images that are all 'city' themed with a lot of city sounds, or is it better to have several different themes, each with fewer sounds?
I would plead for different themes.

I think we have enough city streets (outside) sounds with the levels provided. Let's go inside some special places that can be typically well recognized like a bank with all those beeps, printers and mobile ring tones (maybe alarms), railway station (announcer, brake squeals), or places in nature where it's believable that I have to break a safe (villa at seashore or in the mountains).

Afair it's the first and only game that relies more or less exclusively on sounds. There could be more of them.

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)
03-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Picklock #1
Come and get me

Now Playing: EDEN, Baseball Superstars 2011
Twitter: @thepoisonivy
03-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Thepoisonivy is in it to win it. Best times for both Picklock and Locksmith.

Remember the first prize this week is for fastest Safecracker time. Maybe it's just too hard and I'll be buying myself a gift card.

I'm glad you are all enjoying this. I had almost 800 downloads yesterday and it has been an absolute blast for me seeing the first few people put up fast times.
03-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Y's it 3.1.3 only?

Beta Tested: iBetatest+Running with Scissors, iBlast Moki, IMO, 9 Innings: Pro Baseball 2011, Zenonia 2, Touch the Beat Beta Testing: Pentagon Defense
03-21-2010, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcwmc View Post
Y's it 3.1.3 only?
Is it? Might be a bit annoying for the people currently on iPod 3g's /w 3.12, waiting for a jailbreak.

Either way though, this looks to be pretty fun. Specially the background sounds. I'll check if it works on older firmware versions and try it out if so.

- iSourceGaming.com -
iPhone Gaming Source

News and Reviews of the best iPhone games
03-21-2010, 02:51 PM
To be honest I'm not sure why it's 3.1.3 only. I actually started making this game about a year ago on OS 2 but then my masters thesis got in the way. The code hasn't changed much since then. There's no reason it shouldn't be able to run on an earlier OS. I'm sure this is just a mistake I made when submitting to the app store. I'm not really much of a programmer, this has just been a fun project for me to learn about how everything works...

Anyway, I'll try and get an update out soon to fix this.
03-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Safecracker is insane. i have not heard a single correct pin in that game. I made a mistake by putting up my best times early. If i get better times trust me you wont know until minutes before the deadline

Now Playing: EDEN, Baseball Superstars 2011
Twitter: @thepoisonivy