★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

The Cons and Pros of 'Plus+ and OpenFeint' for newbies

03-20-2010, 01:37 PM
The Cons and Pros of 'Plus+ and OpenFeint' for newbies

There has been a lot of debate over which is the more superior social gaming network for the iPhone/iPod Touch, Plus+ or OpenFeint. Here are some of the cons and pros to these networks, if you are a newbie to these two networks, you may want to read this.

OpenFeint

Pros
It has many achievements, most of the games that are OpenFeint enabled usually have a lot of achievements. Also, the achievements points seem to be pretty high to.

It has a ton of features, more so than Plus+. Unlike plus+, it has a 'Forums and Chat' menu that lets you talk to other OpenFeint users and discuss strategies, help, ect. Anohter cool feature is the 'Fan Club'. The Fan Club is pretty basic, you can become a fan of the game that you are currently playing. The most important feature in OpenFeint in my opinion is the Instant Messaging feature.

There are hundreds of games on the App Store that enable OpenFeint.

Cons
Can be hard to navigate.
Not as beautiful as Plus+

Plus+

Pros
Way more beautiful than OpenFeint, the blue textiles and dots are pretty cool.

Has about the same amount of achievements as OpenFeint.

Simple, and not as hard to navigate as OpenFeint.

Cons
Definitely lacking some of the major features that OpenFeint has. I would really like to see ngmoco update it so that it can have Instant Messaging and a Forums and Chat feature.

There aren't as many games that have Plus as their social gaming network. OpenFeint is the more popular one at the amount.

Winner: OpenFeint, although I prefer Plus+
03-20-2010, 01:39 PM
what exactly the benefits of participating in either Openfeint or Plus+?

03-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Plus used to have a superior interface over Openfeint, but not so much anymore. Believe it or not there's actually more social networks than just those 2. Crystal is another one with a great UI and I think Cogs is the first game I've seen it in.
03-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Floss View Post
what exactly the benefits of participating in either Openfeint or Plus+?
Well, it's really just like a mobile version of Facebook for games. You compete for points, play against each other, and just have fun. As you earn more points, you can brag There is a lot you can benefit from.
03-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deewin View Post
Plus used to have a superior interface over Openfeint, but not so much anymore. Believe it or not there's actually more social networks than just those 2. Crystal is another one with a great UI and I think Cogs is the first game I've seen it in.
Yes, you are right, but the two MAIN ones are OpenFeint and Plus+, not a lot of people have been using Crystal since their are barely any games that support it. Yes, it is another great one. So is Agon.
03-20-2010, 01:50 PM
In my experience there seems some (not all) OpenFeint games where the achievements give only 1-5 pts and the overall amount seems to be pretty low.

In contrast, Plus+ seems to have a little more consistent (though no standard) with the achievements having 750 pts or more in total. In addition, you can view games and their achievements before downloading/buying a game without the need of searching for it on the internet.

However, I'm surprised that there is no messaging systems in Plus+... I can't contact my friends with it.
03-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin:] View Post
Yes, you are right, but the two MAIN ones are OpenFeint and Plus+, not a lot of people have been using Crystal since their are barely any games that support it. Yes, it is another great one. So is Agon.
Gah I don't mean to get semi off topic but isn't Crystal still new though? From what I understand it's a new social game network from Chillingo who are known for publishing high quality iphone games. This could make them a huge Contender against Openfeint and Plus in the long run.
03-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin:] View Post
Well, it's really just like a mobile version of Facebook for games. You compete for points, play against each other, and just have fun. As you earn more points, you can brag There is a lot you can benefit from.

cool, thanks
03-20-2010, 02:35 PM
I prefer openfeint because it so many games have it!
03-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Openfeint is superior because of its larger community, and it has a main app for conversing.

Twitter: @Nokendoman, XboxLive: DannIzzLegit.
Now Playing:Corporate Fury, Super Mega Worm, EpicWin, Surviving Highschool, Mirrors Edge, Zenonia2, TapTapRevenge 3.
@reply me on twitter