★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Screw the Dealer Pro - FREE for a limited time!

03-20-2010, 06:06 PM
Screw the Dealer Pro - FREE for a limited time!

Screw the Dealer Pro is free for a couple of days only!

This is to promote WordSearch Rush, our new iPhone game on the App Store Now for only $0.99 USD:

iTunes Link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wordsearch-rush/id352314795?mt=8
Touch Arcade Link: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...ght=wordsearch

Spread the Word!

We Are Colin - Indie Games from Derby, UK. Facebook Twitter YouTube
Gravity Runner - Running game with Retro Graphics
Screw The Dealer + iSevens - Card Games -
WordSearch Rush - Featured by Apple - Available now
03-20-2010, 06:48 PM
This has been one of my all time favorite card games over the years and I'm really glad to see an app version of it. It would be great if in future updates you could add more options to be able to select which rules you can play by.

First, the way I'm familiar with is that whoever makes the highest bid gets to pick the trump card. This adds a huge element of strategy in bidding, and a lot of fun when one player bids high because he holds a lot of one suit (say hearts), only to get outbid by someone who has even more of another suit (say clubs). Also, in this version there is never a round with no trump card (the name of the game in this version is, after all, "Trump").

Second, the other rule I've been used to is in scoring, so that when you miss a bid you subtract 5 points for every miss, ie, if you bid 2 tricks and wind up with 4, then you subtract 10 points. In one of the games I just played on your app, a computer player only bid 2 but wound up with 6. Instead of being penalized for such failure, he ended up with a higher score than I did even though I only missed my bid by 1. Conceivably by your rules, you could bid 0 and take all the tricks to get a good score. Doesn't make sense. The rules work better when you are penalized for missing your bid, not rewarded.

Third, I'm used to playing where, with 4 players, all the cards are dealt in every round rather than reducing the number as the game goes on. This maintains an element of card counting as you try to outguess the other players, rather than knowing some cards aren't in play.

Finally, it would be great to have the option to add more human players, so if I'm on a long drive with friends we can pass the iphone around and play in the same game.

Now, I'm not saying you devs should change your whole game just for me of course, but allow me to adjust the rules to my liking as option, right? You'd have the best card game app ever if you did.

Last edited by fahrique; 03-20-2010 at 07:14 PM.

03-21-2010, 03:24 AM
Thanks for the Reply, we are getting ready to develop an update to Screw the Dealer so any feedback is very welcomed and it more than likely will be put into an update if it's an easy change. Everything you suggested could be done easliy I believe but don't hold me to my word. The multiplayer thing may be a little trickier to do.

Keep an eye out for an updates though, and thanks.

Dave.

03-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Game Impressions

Brings me back memories of my college days. I played a LOT of trump-type games. We played a variant we called "rat-****." The deal would start with one card, and work up to a hand of 13. If there was more beer left, then we'd go back down to a single card hand. If you didn't make your bid, you'd get -10 times your bid. This usually ended up with some heinously negative scores and some really drunk players.

I like the general interface you guys use, but I'd recommend:

-If possible, make the cards bigger. I find them hard to see.
-Playing a card seems a bit sluggish. The drag/swipe to the play area feels awkward. Might be better just to drag to the center.
-The little faces are cute, but I don't know now much value they give. Not having them might provide more real estate for the cards, or other stuff.
-I used to play a variant where the high bid got to set the trump. Would be nice to see that here.
03-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Game Impressions

Ok, I guess dragging a card to the center does work. The problem is that it isn't very smooth.

I'm less sold on the cute faces now. They get old pretty fast.
03-22-2010, 02:43 PM
I really love this game! I admit to not having ever played it prior to getting this version, but it is one of my most favorite games on my iPod.

I LOVE the little faces, and would love to be able to customize the one for the user.

Larger cards, would be nice, or maybe even a different card face to make the suit and card value easier to read, but I'd HATE to lose the characters. The characters and the feeling of being part of real table make this unique to the app store, and make it so much more fun to play.

Different character choices, and maybe customizable comments that the characters say during the game would be really fun too.

Variation options in game rules would be great too!

Sandi
03-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Yeah, it might be better if you could choose from a bunch of faces...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardiegrrrl View Post
I really love this game! I admit to not having ever played it prior to getting this version, but it is one of my most favorite games on my iPod.

I LOVE the little faces, and would love to be able to customize the one for the user.

Larger cards, would be nice, or maybe even a different card face to make the suit and card value easier to read, but I'd HATE to lose the characters. The characters and the feeling of being part of real table make this unique to the app store, and make it so much more fun to play.

Different character choices, and maybe customizable comments that the characters say during the game would be really fun too.

Variation options in game rules would be great too!

Sandi
03-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Game variations

I second the game variation suggestion, although I bet there are zillions of them.
03-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Glad to hear your interest in the game!

We have another card game coming out which allows you to customise the character that you are, and there are 100 randomized characters that you play against, so it shouldn't get as old. The game is called iSevens, (Sandi (beardiegrrrl) is a beta tester). We'll try and get the same features into Screw the Dealer in the near future.

We've just started work on it again and we hope for it to be out very soon, if you follow on twitter or just keep an eye out in the upcoming games section I'll let you know when it should be out!