★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Re-Volt: What happened there?

02-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Re-Volt: What happened there?

I thought this IUGO game would have been released by now...It's been "coming soon" for almost a year. Any word?
02-08-2009, 08:32 PM
they said it would require a large amount of capital and that they would wait until apple resolves the problem of quality games getting lost in the store.

02-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreEricXXX View Post
they said it would require a large amount of capital and that they would wait until apple resolves the problem of quality games getting lost in the store.
yeah, that would be... never?
02-08-2009, 09:21 PM
I like to think I have a good grip on the best the app store, but I find a new treasure everyday. Although I think their excuse is lame. I don't think they would have any problem at all getting noticed, the iPhone is in need of a good fps and any that show up won't go unnoticed. Crappy sniper games have made it into the top 25. I think it is a larger financial risk to sit back and let one of the big guys release one and grab up all the profits.
02-08-2009, 09:21 PM
02-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreEricXXX View Post
Sorry, but I've been noticing alot of strange perceptions out in the developer/publisher community and I can't help but chime in here.

So, IUGO seems to think that quality games get lost in the store? In what way? I look at the overall top 100 Paid apps and see quality games all over the place. Lightbike, Hellfire, Bounce On, X-Plane Extreme, Touchgrind, SlotZ, Enigmo. Hell, I even dig Distant Shore every once in awhile!

How are their games getting "lost", I wonder, when other companies (and I mean even indie 1-2 developer houses) get exposure. I'm not sure if what they're looking for is to be featured and crack the top 20 every time they release a game or what? That would be a really unrealistic expectation if that's the case.

Like, I remember almost a decade ago when the NPD software top 100 list was literally strangled with Hunting games by Cabela, while "quality" games like Quake III Arena and Deus Ex barely clung on to the top 50. Then, just 5 years or so ago, The Sims and all it's expansion packs were #1-6 or something in the top ten for almost the entire year. The point? Sometimes customers will buy what they wanna buy and you have to, unfortunately, live with it or spend money to make money (i.e., marketing).

Look at Rick Rocketson Pro, for example. I've never seen a game be on the front of the What's Hot list for as long as it has (how long do games get to be on that list, BTW?), and I don't think I've ever seen it in the top 100. I'm sure being #76 in the top 100 Paid GAMES is nothing to sneeze at financially, but does it deserve more to be in the top 25 overall than, say, Bejeweled 2 or Blocked (granted, I wouldn't mind it knocking off Sound Grenade Pro or Mood Touch, but that's because I'm more game-centric and prefer games be successful )

Sometimes the market wants what it wants, is all I'm saying. I say they should keep working on it, scale down the effort and expenditures if possible, and give it a good quality polish in an update.
02-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Once da $20 section comes out it will be filled with quality games and right now if an app stays in the top 50 for a month it will do twice as well as the top psp game for that month seriously twice as many people own an a idevice than a ds

Current faves:UniWar,Glyder, Assasin's Creed, Wolfenstein,Zenonia(beta testing)
☻/ my review site:cheatcodes4chicos
/▌reviewer at: appmania
/ \ There you go rocketman I've moved on from hobocity
02-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferi22 View Post
Once da $20 section comes out it will be filled with quality games and right now if an app stays in the top 50 for a month it will do twice as well as the top psp game for that month seriously twice as many people own an a idevice than a ds

I doubt $20 = quality games. look at some of the 360 titles.
02-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh00kah View Post
Sorry, but I've been noticing alot of strange perceptions out in the developer/publisher community and I can't help but chime in here.

So, IUGO seems to think that quality games get lost in the store? In what way? I look at the overall top 100 Paid apps and see quality games all over the place. Lightbike, Hellfire, Bounce On, X-Plane Extreme, Touchgrind, SlotZ, Enigmo. Hell, I even dig Distant Shore every once in awhile!

How are their games getting "lost", I wonder, when other companies (and I mean even indie 1-2 developer houses) get exposure. I'm not sure if what they're looking for is to be featured and crack the top 20 every time they release a game or what? That would be a really unrealistic expectation if that's the case.

Like, I remember almost a decade ago when the NPD software top 100 list was literally strangled with Hunting games by Cabela, while "quality" games like Quake III Arena and Deus Ex barely clung on to the top 50. Then, just 5 years or so ago, The Sims and all it's expansion packs were #1-6 or something in the top ten for almost the entire year. The point? Sometimes customers will buy what they wanna buy and you have to, unfortunately, live with it or spend money to make money (i.e., marketing).

Look at Rick Rocketson Pro, for example. I've never seen a game be on the front of the What's Hot list for as long as it has (how long do games get to be on that list, BTW?), and I don't think I've ever seen it in the top 100. I'm sure being #76 in the top 100 Paid GAMES is nothing to sneeze at financially, but does it deserve more to be in the top 25 overall than, say, Bejeweled 2 or Blocked (granted, I wouldn't mind it knocking off Sound Grenade Pro or Mood Touch, but that's because I'm more game-centric and prefer games be successful )

Sometimes the market wants what it wants, is all I'm saying. I say they should keep working on it, scale down the effort and expenditures if possible, and give it a good quality polish in an update.
Maybe what they meant is that they want to do a blockbuster game but maybe that is not what the market wants now. As far as i can see with the top apps right now, people dig simpler, casual games. If i'm a developer, i will think very hard about sinking all my resources into doing a blockbuster game, not to mention, a blockbuster FPS (considered hardcore genre to me) game. Visitors here might think a FPS game will be a killer, but the bulk of iphone users are casual gamers. That's why iFart kicks every games' ass on the charts. Think diner dash or crash racer. Give them GearsOfWar or Halo and their brain might choke and cause them seizures.

I do hope Apple's push for idevices to be a serious gaming platform will take off. Then will good developers like IUGO feel more inclined to sink their resources into building games like revolt and everybody wins! We need a critical pool of serious gamers on these devices first.

Just my 1.5 cents.
02-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffyone View Post
I doubt there will even be a $20 section.

$20 games? Maybe...and even then they probably won't sell well.

But a special section devoted to $20 games? Nope. Devs could've priced any way they wished, and they haven't priced at $20. Why? Because they don't need to in order to pull profit, and doing so will actually lower their chances of good returns (you can, in fact, price yourself right out of the market).

I don't doubt that there will be more clean up of the app store for games, and that in turn might lead to a special "premium" section devoted to "big name" developers, but I doubt that it'll be a "premium price" section. That is, this section will have to do with separating "big" developers from indy developers and nothing to do with the price of the games.
Have you not read the headlines about premium section even apple confirms it

Current faves:UniWar,Glyder, Assasin's Creed, Wolfenstein,Zenonia(beta testing)
☻/ my review site:cheatcodes4chicos
/▌reviewer at: appmania
/ \ There you go rocketman I've moved on from hobocity