★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

How much do you like RPG elements?

View Poll Results: How much do you like RPG elements?
I love them! 54 90.00%
They're okay. 5 8.33%
I hate them. 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll
03-21-2010, 08:22 AM
Send a message via AIM to kohjingyu
How much do you like RPG elements?

How much do you guys like RPG elements in a game? With the ability to gain exp, level up, etc.

Also, do you guys like it in ANY genre? Or are there some genres you think RPG elements would never work in?
03-21-2010, 08:39 AM
Aye likeh teh arr pee gee.

Sokaroka
Graal HQ - http://graal-ta.weebly.com/
(Very outdated, haven't played Graal in years, but still has some decent guides etc. if you wanna update it/take over feel free to PM me)

03-21-2010, 08:47 AM
RPG elements have been the best part of many games I've enjoyed. Would you really play games like Eliminate if they didn't have them? It'd really be much more boring without those elements. Plus, they add a lot to the replay value. It's much better than the high score style replay value. Even games like Call of Duty have RPG elements. I find myself playing Modern Warfare 2 online longer than I thought I would just so that I could unlock that next gun or perk.

And I can't think of a genre that could be ruined by RPG elements. Even poker works with these elements, as demonstrated by Sword and Poker. Here's how each could work:

Racing - New tracks/cars/upgrades each level.
Fighting - New characters and special moves each level.
FPS/Dual Stick Shooter - New guns/levels/perks each level. Works especially well in survival shooters.
Crime (GTA-style games) - New cars/guns/areas each level.
Match 3 - I don't think I need to say anything other than "Puzzle Quest".
Card - Sword & Poker. 'Nuff said.
Asteroids - Space Miner.
Turn Based/Real Time Stratey - New characters/units/abilites per commander level, and upgraded strength and defense each unit/character level.

As you can see, pretty much every genre works with RPG elements. I'm sure I've forgotten some, but those are most of the major ones right there.
03-21-2010, 08:49 AM
Yes!
Sword and Poker was awesome.

Games such as Alive4Ever are so much more fun, simply because you unlock new stuff and the explosions get bigger as you go :P

Sokaroka
Graal HQ - http://graal-ta.weebly.com/
(Very outdated, haven't played Graal in years, but still has some decent guides etc. if you wanna update it/take over feel free to PM me)
03-21-2010, 10:00 AM
Send a message via AIM to RankoSao
im a complete, drooling sucker for RPG elements, i love them THAT much.. its the sole reason i picked up the old gameboy versions of Mario Golf and Tennis, they just make any game better.

DEFY THE COSMOS!
03-21-2010, 10:18 AM
lmao, nice sig Ranko

Founder of Sgarrista Air Brigade
Devs, if you want reviews click here!
Yep, I'm a Brony
PSN: AeroFlare7221
03-21-2010, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RankoSao View Post
im a complete, drooling sucker for RPG elements, i love them THAT much.. its the sole reason i picked up the old gameboy versions of Mario Golf and Tennis, they just make any game better.
Lol, those elements had me hooked up on Mario Tennis too , guess I wasnt alone .

Yes, we love RPG
03-21-2010, 10:54 AM
Yes, but only if it isn't to a pointless end / the system is too transparent
i.e. - I hate it when the game world levels up at the same speed you do, it makes the whole exercise pointless

In-game name:winegum
XBL GT:winegum21
03-21-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm a huge fan of RPG's so I love RPG elements in a game.
03-21-2010, 11:30 AM
They always make games better and add replayability for me. I'm also more likely to buy a game if I see there are RPG elements.