★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

DragonFireSDK?

03-21-2010, 12:53 PM
#1
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Honduras
Posts: 18
DragonFireSDK?

Hey guys! Sorry i haven't been on the forum for some time!

But anyway.........

DragonFireSDK is a SDK for the iPhone but for Windows.

Since, Mac's aren't a option for me anymore, I gotta find a way to develop on Windows!

Now my Question!: "Has anyone here used DragonFiresdk?", "Do you recommend it?" and "Is there anything better than DragonFireSDK?"

Thanks for anybody that answers!

2 Dizturbing Appz Coming Out Soon 4 iDevice

Power Serj 'N' Hungry Girl
The Un-Famouz
03-21-2010, 12:58 PM
#2
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 267
Coincidentally I was just reading up on SDKs for Windows to see if I could find a decent one. So far, no luck.

What put me off DragonfireSDK is the fact that to actually get an app into the App Store, you send it to Zimusoft who submit it via their own developer account - meaning you don't get full control over it, they're listed as the company and seller, and they take an unspecified amount of any money you earn from the app.

The alternative appears to be paying them $49.95 to submit your app, but I don't know how that'd work if the app was rejected, etc. Overall the whole thing seems less than perfect.

If anyone knows more, or knows of a better SDK for us Windows users, please post.

Send me your Hook Champ challenges on OpenFeint!
Username = zooo

03-21-2010, 01:01 PM
#3
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 754
Send a message via Skype™ to mobile1up
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo View Post
If anyone knows more, or knows of a better SDK for us Windows users, please post.
just get a mac? seriously.

if you are going to spend the $99 a year anyhow - what big deal is it to add another $500 to your budget. the platform isn't about writing an app for cheap and complaining that you don't have an SDK for windows. get over it.

// Aaron Ardiri
Mobile 1UP is a proud indie developer - support us!
developer of Caveman / Caveman HD and GW Series
03-21-2010, 01:08 PM
#4
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobile1up View Post
just get a mac? seriously.

if you are going to spend the $99 a year anyhow - what big deal is it to add another $500 to your budget. the platform isn't about writing an app for cheap and complaining that you don't have an SDK for windows. get over it.
Wow, you must be a bigshot if adding $500 to your original $99 budget isn't a big deal for you. I don't know why I'm dignifying your pointless response with this reply; if anyone would like to make a useful contribution, it'd be appreciated.

Send me your Hook Champ challenges on OpenFeint!
Username = zooo
03-21-2010, 01:20 PM
#5
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 754
Send a message via Skype™ to mobile1up
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo View Post
Wow, you must be a bigshot if adding $500 to your original $99 budget isn't a big deal for you. I don't know why I'm dignifying your pointless response with this reply; if anyone would like to make a useful contribution, it'd be appreciated.
next thing you'll ask for is a developer to help you and you'll have a $100 budget.

$500 is not a lot of money. when i am a consultant; i earn that in half a day. if you are a student; then sure - it is a tight budget. i am thankful i already decided to own a mac before the iphone SDK came around - so, it wasn't much of a problem for me.

i am no bigshot; but this forum is full of younger people trying to make a few quick dollars without investing any money in the first place. the #1 rule i learnt when growing up is that you have to spend money in order to make money. if it is spent on education, equipment, advertising - you MUST be prepared to outlay something.. nothing comes for free in this world.

// Aaron Ardiri
Mobile 1UP is a proud indie developer - support us!
developer of Caveman / Caveman HD and GW Series
03-21-2010, 02:01 PM
#6
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,509
The iPhone SDK was designed specifically to be used on a Mac, and Apple will make sure to keep it that way. Any attempt at developing on a PC will be cumbersome, and always require a third party. You're best bet is to get a Mac, or at least temporary access to one if you can manage to write it on a PC is somehow compile on the other platform, which is not a fun route.
03-21-2010, 02:01 PM
#7
Look into running OSX on your PC hardware. I custom built a PC using components that were listed as compatible with OSX, so now I have a "Hackintosh" that can dual boot into Windows XP or OSX. (although I have since fallen in love with OSX and hate having to boot up XP)

Maybe, technically, the legality of it is questionable, but I don't see anything wrong if you purchase a legit copy of OSX to run on your PC hardware...

Be sure to check out Shadow Era, a trading card game now with almost 3 million players, cross-platform multiplayer for iPhone, Android, web, PC and Mac for FREE!
03-21-2010, 02:04 PM
#8
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 754
Send a message via Skype™ to mobile1up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Poole View Post
Look into running OSX on your PC hardware. I custom built a PC using components that were listed as compatible with OSX, so now I have a "Hackintosh" that can dual boot into Windows XP or OSX. (although I have since fallen in love with OSX and hate having to boot up XP)

Maybe, technically, the legality of it is questionable, but I don't see anything wrong if you purchase a legit copy of OSX to run on your PC hardware...
just be sure to have 10.5.5 or later

you'll need to have 10.6.2 i think for the ipad SDK - which may not be so easy to find with the "hackintosh" variants that are out there. one problem of hackintosh machines is that they do not typically have clean auto-updating functionality. before i got a mac, i explored the hackintosh route (also, before developing on iphone)

// Aaron Ardiri
Mobile 1UP is a proud indie developer - support us!
developer of Caveman / Caveman HD and GW Series
03-21-2010, 07:18 PM
#9
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Honduras
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobile1up View Post
next thing you'll ask for is a developer to help you and you'll have a $100 budget.

$500 is not a lot of money. when i am a consultant; i earn that in half a day. if you are a student; then sure - it is a tight budget. i am thankful i already decided to own a mac before the iphone SDK came around - so, it wasn't much of a problem for me.

i am no bigshot; but this forum is full of younger people trying to make a few quick dollars without investing any money in the first place. the #1 rule i learnt when growing up is that you have to spend money in order to make money. if it is spent on education, equipment, advertising - you MUST be prepared to outlay something.. nothing comes for free in this world.
True, True.

But anyway guys don't get into an argument about it I was just asking.

2 Dizturbing Appz Coming Out Soon 4 iDevice

Power Serj 'N' Hungry Girl
The Un-Famouz
03-21-2010, 07:50 PM
#10
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo View Post
If anyone knows more, or knows of a better SDK for us Windows users, please post.
Did you look into airplay? It looks way more professional than dragonfiresdk. Also this topic has been discussed here before (link).

Lunarcy a really challenging retro looking arcade game.