★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Games that get better over time

02-08-2009, 08:53 PM
#1
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 161
Games that get better over time

I thought might be a good place to discuss about some iphone games that didnt really grab you initially, and u left it one side after the 1st time u played it, but later when you really understand the game, you really got hooked.

2 games i would like to mention ...

clusterball arcade

initially, like what most reviewers said, the game was very hard to get into, and having only 10 levels seem like a small game to pay for the price at that time. but when i bought it at 0.99, it seems like a steal for the great 3d graphics.

and yes, i had a hard time getting past the 1st level, but coming back to it 3 weeks after i initially bought it and gave it another shot when i was bored of other games, i found that it could be really fun once you get the hang of collecting balls and scoring them thru the hoops.

suddenly, i was enjoying this and i realise 10 levels aint tat bad, considering that iphone games like these are never meant for long play. more like arcade coin-op experiences we used to remember from the 80s.

samurai puzzle battle

this was another game that had a horrendous learning curve. i gave up 2 times before i finally got it. and i think the developers should have come up with a more intuitive way of getting the 1st time player to learn the rules.

but once u got it, i found that this is the deepest game i have played on the iphone, and the best strategy game for it. a campaign would take me at least a week to go thru it, and there is so much replay value. it is just one of those games that once you get it, u dun wanna put down.


reason i am mentioning these is that i think sometimes, reviews of iphone gaming sites can be misleading. sometimes games need more time to get into, and only then will you get the most out of it.

on the other hand, i was so impressed with the first few mins of payback, i thought it was THE iphone game to have, but after reaching chapter 5, i began to get tired of the similar gameplay, and worse, the various aspects of the game like controls really got to me.

just my 5 cents worth
02-08-2009, 08:57 PM
#2
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,208
SPiN

I bought this at $0.99. At first I didn't really get into it, but later I was having a blast.

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread

02-08-2009, 09:00 PM
#3
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: In My Head
Posts: 3,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutbowling View Post
SPiN

I bought this at $0.99. At first I didn't really get into it, but later I was having a blast.
I'll second that, and add one more,
Final fantasy Crystal defenders, The night it came out I felt ripped off, now it is by far my #1 game...

Gamecenter:1337brian
02-08-2009, 09:03 PM
#4
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,866
Bounce Trap Tilt
I was about to boot it off my device, but decided to give it one more go.

Crossbones
Steep leaning curve, but I decided to take some time to learn the rules and now love it.

Dactyl / TargetTap
Thought they was too simple, but they grew on me.

Flexis
It's still on the verge of being booted off my device, as I don't like games that play themselves. But there is some strategy involved and it's slowly growing on me.

Fuzzle
Not my type of puzzler at all, it gets more stressful as you go. Will probably get the boot soon, but I'm slowly beginning to like it more.

Hexy
Still can't beat the damned computer (Buzzy); every once in awhile, I try though.

Internal Force
Not usually into shooters of this difficulty, but the music keeps me going. Its still growing on me.

Samurai Puzzle Battle
See original post.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc

Last edited by Donburns99; 02-08-2009 at 09:10 PM.
02-08-2009, 09:05 PM
#5
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 1,549
ugg and i thought Clusterball was worth it at 10 bucks... i mean it really wasn't but for a couple weeks there i really liked it and was like #3 or something... i'm sure that's long gone, but it was great to finally get to the last level and stuff...

I think a game that gets good over time is Safari.. i mean you get started and go to google news or whatever, but if you really spend some time (you have to make a time commitment) you can get to like touch arcade, or gizmodo, or honestly any website you'd like! it's really fun and um free

Plus+ ID: Wegmans
02-08-2009, 09:23 PM
#6
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,654
Orions gets much better over time. It actually to be such an addicting game that I deleted it from my phone. That's never happened before.
02-08-2009, 09:28 PM
#7
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 161
judging by the games listed so far, almost none of these are so-called bestsellers, though one or 2 might have been quite high up at some time.

which comes to question, how do we get the games that are really deserving some attention in the appstore? writing reviews doesnt seem to help and when week in week out you see ishoot and monopoly/bejeweled dominating the game charts ... man, lots of iphone users are missing out on the good stuff.

used to remind me of similar mobile charts few yrs back when tetris was just no.1 for an entire year!
02-08-2009, 10:18 PM
#8
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianlow32 View Post
judging by the games listed so far, almost none of these are so-called bestsellers, though one or 2 might have been quite high up at some time.

which comes to question, how do we get the games that are really deserving some attention in the appstore? writing reviews doesnt seem to help and when week in week out you see ishoot and monopoly/bejeweled dominating the game charts ... man, lots of iphone users are missing out on the good stuff.

used to remind me of similar mobile charts few yrs back when tetris was just no.1 for an entire year!
Hey, keep the faith! Look at Blocked, which was released in August 2008 and just now is #4 in the app store. Granted it helps that it became a staff favorite, but usually that means the Apple staff thought it was a good game, and it usually is!

And, arn just recommended "Big Fun Racing" yesterday, and the developer says he's averaging around 8-900 downloads a day! So, it pays to get featured somewhere. Arn is always on, and I bet if enough people talk about a title on this forum, he features it.

Also, us fans can only take things so far for our favorite games. For example, I like Downhill Bowling like nobody's business, and I think it should get featured. In the meantime, I've been telling and showing everybody the game and have gotten some people to download at least the Lite version.

But, since it got front page on TA, it's been climbing up the charts according to mobclix. I think that if you bring some good polish (doesn't have to be PSP-quality million dollar knockout stuff, but good eye-catching graphics with fluid gameplay that's not too complicated or difficult to just pick up and play in line at the DMV or bank teller, it will get attention SOMEWHERE eventually.

Cream rises, and all that.
02-08-2009, 10:28 PM
#9
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh00kah View Post
Hey, keep the faith! Look at Blocked, which was released in August 2008 and just now is #4 in the app store. Granted it helps that it became a staff favorite, but usually that means the Apple staff thought it was a good game, and it usually is!

And, arn just recommended "Big Fun Racing" yesterday, and the developer says he's averaging around 8-900 downloads a day! So, it pays to get featured somewhere. Arn is always on, and I bet if enough people talk about a title on this forum, he features it.

Also, us fans can only take things so far for our favorite games. For example, I like Downhill Bowling like nobody's business, and I think it should get featured. In the meantime, I've been telling and showing everybody the game and have gotten some people to download at least the Lite version.

But, since it got front page on TA, it's been climbing up the charts according to mobclix. I think that if you bring some good polish (doesn't have to be PSP-quality million dollar knockout stuff, but good eye-catching graphics with fluid gameplay that's not too complicated or difficult to just pick up and play in line at the DMV or bank teller, it will get attention SOMEWHERE eventually.

Cream rises, and all that.
agree with u 100 percent. but thing is ... i feel sometimes apple staff are biased towards certain developers like pangea, which is a very frustrating company.

i love enigmo and thinks its one of the best iphone games around, but they have so much potential in other games like nanosaur 2(one of the best 3d graphics i hv seen) and billy frontier, but is spoilt by poor or missing gameplay.

and cro-mag rally got advertised in apple's iphone page! its a fun racing game, but its crippled by lack of proper racing tournments and features. i wonder if apple staff are aware of the above games at all! and like u say, their word goes a long way in getting a game eyeballs.
02-08-2009, 10:35 PM
#10
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,509
The games in the commercials were mostly eye-candy (and boy did it were for me ). And most people go off the assumptions that if it's "from" apple, it good. Combine that with relatively low standards (it's an mp3 player, it can be that great a gaming platform, right? riiight?) and the most slipshod games make it to the top.

Getting back on topic (because the one above has been going on since june):

Tanzen: It slowly builds up momentum.

Cube: First few levels are a bore, then it gets really exciting.

Dactyl: 373 BABY!

Slotz: I didn't really like it to begin with. Then WOW!

Pocket God: Well, the updates (which are AWESOME!)

Rolando: Beginning levels, blegh.