★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Age and Gaming

02-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Age and Gaming

I'm female, 56 years old, self supporting, college grad (pretty well educated) and I've been playing video games since the mid 1980's, starting with the good old Commodore Vic 20 (back then the games were on tape). I've owned just about every gaming platform invented and played just about every genre of game. My first computer games were on 5 1/4 inch floppies and had no graphics. I think my first gaming console was Nintendo (but I really don't remember for sure) I do remember putting down a deposit of $50 to pre order Super Nintendo and the thrill of getting it.

I have to say that now my favorite gaming platform is the iPod Touch and, as soon as my Sprint contract expires, I'll also be getting the iPhone .... but I'm also pretty fond of the PS3 (yes .... even Guitar Hero).

I've seen the gaming go from the very simple (Pong) to the very sophisticated games we have today and loved every minute of it. I used to have to go to a bar just to play "Brick Out" and then "Centipede" on table top consoles.

I kinda doubt that there are many people (especially women) my age who are sooooo into gaming but I'd love to know what your history is with gaming.

Marlene
02-08-2009, 09:33 PM
hi marlene,

well, i am 40 this year, but i was back into spectrum gaming/apple2c days and loved the coin-ops of yesteryears. and i been with pc gaming, gameboy and missed the console wars, but got into ps3 just last year, but u can say i been a gamer for the last 25 yrs or more!

and i agree with u, the iphone is such a different but wonderful gaming platform. i been gaming on the java mobile platform for over 4 yrs prior to the iphone and always felt there was a great potential for mobile gaming. but the iphone has brought mobile gaming to the masses with the app store and also, its great hardware and most importantly, indie developers

i love it when a game like alphabetic or trism makes it to the maintstream and deservingly so. my wife who is also my age has been gaming with me the last 15 yrs too! and she loves the iphone just as much, if not more. she spends like 3 hrs on iphone gaming daily .... haha

02-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Well Marlene, i love u. I'm 40 and have been playing vid games since 1976. i like the fact that i was in at ground zero and can totally appreciate how far games have come.

my first console was a RCA Studio II. i used to create solar systems with the art/paint program and invent my own games which included rolling dice and moving pixels as starships around planets at age 8.

of course i had the Atari 2600 when it first came out and have owned most of the systems. a few besides those first 2: Atari 7800, nes, snes, genesis (and a nomad that i still have!), 486 pc (loaded with great games), ps1, saturn, N64, ps2, dreamcast, gamecube, xbox, xbox360, wii, ps3. i also played a lot of C64 games (like Telengard) and intellivision at my friend's house on my block in the early 80's.

when i was a kid, you'd find me in arcades most of the time - i played every classic and was a pinball freak - i mean am!

right now, my 2 fave systems are my iPhone3G and my PSP which, as of this week - plays PS1, genesis, nes, snes and sega CD games. it was a thrill to play Jet Moto 3 and ridge racer on the PSP's screen which improves the graphics a lot.

so i'm in abslute gaming heaven right now, maybe more than ever in my life. and i don't intend on stopping. great to hear you're loving gaming still!

- Ric

Gravity is my game :: Top Slingshot Player and working to get my #1 spot in Orbital back...

Last edited by RM imagery; 02-08-2009 at 09:53 PM.
02-08-2009, 09:57 PM
After reading ianlow32 and RM imagery's posts .... I realize that I've been playing longer than I thought .... the first console games in the bars were late 60's (maybe early 70's).
02-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Well, I'm 14, don't remember anything past the 64 and PS1, and am pretty much bursting everyone's bubble.

But seriously, it's awesome that you all have been playing for such a long time. Most people your age are going through mid-life crisises (no clue if I spelled that right) fretting over BMWs, deeming video games too childish (they need Wii fit to justify them gaming ). You guys rock!
02-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamazar View Post
Well, I'm 14, don't remember anything past the 64 and PS1, and am pretty much bursting everyone's bubble.

But seriously, it's awesome that you all have been playing for such a long time. Most people your age are going through mid-life crisises (no clue if I spelled that right) fretting over BMWs, deeming video games too childish (they need Wii fit to justify them gaming ). You guys rock!
kamazar, theres actually a huge bunch of us 80s videogamers right at the point where videgoames became mainstream that are in our mid 40s now ... these are the original guys who have to put up with parents and teachers looking down and frowning on videogames. heck, back in early 80s, they thought videogames was just a passing trend and would die overnight ... how wrong they were!
02-08-2009, 11:32 PM
I've been playing video games since the late 70's. Started off in the neighborhood arcades, back then they seemed to be everywhere. I grew up playing games on Intellevision. My Dad worked for a publishing company that was owned by Mattel, so I had access to games before they were released to the public. Video game always have and always will be a big part of my life even at 38.

Last edited by TRIPLE BEAM DREAM; 02-09-2009 at 01:29 AM.
02-09-2009, 12:02 AM
I'm 52 and have been in the video game business since I started as a play tester at Avalon Hill in 1979. My first published games were for the TRS-80, Commodore PET, Apple II, and Atari 800. More on that here:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=13563

Our president, Sherri Cuono is also the designer of Bounce Trap, is younger, but she's been in the game and multimedia world for over a decade.

The iPhone is the most exciting thing to happen in the business since the Mac and Amiga first hit the scene in the 1980's.

A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time.

- Shigeru Miyamoto
02-09-2009, 12:04 AM
I am 36. I remember playing Moon Patrol once a week in a restaurant/bar my parents used to take me to, playing Burger Time at Chucky Cheese. I had an Oddsey. My parents liked it better than the Atari because it had a keyboard. Been video gaming my whole life. Still remember when Virtua Fighter 1 came out. That blew me away. Owned a Palm OS company writing games for a while (now I am a teacher).

I have an upright cabinet in my house with a MAME machine in it. I waited in line over night for the PS2. Currently have a xBox360 and am a WOW addict (currently on hiatus).

I spend a lot of free time gaming as I have my whole life.
02-09-2009, 12:16 AM
Playscreen

Great article. I loved playing Activision games as a kid. Wish that some of them could get ported over. Bring on Imagic too.

Last edited by TRIPLE BEAM DREAM; 02-09-2009 at 12:19 AM. Reason: edited