★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Best way to capture video of games/apps?

03-22-2010, 01:18 PM
#1
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 437
Best way to capture video of games/apps?

I'm really interested in doing some video reviews of games/apps along with written reviews, but I'm not exactly sure the best way to capture gameplay. My preference would be a tool that could capture video directly from my Ipod Touch and allow me to go from there, but from what I've found the only way for someone without the src and a Mac is to get a HD camcorder and record video that way.

My questions are, 1) is it possible to capture video from my iPod Touch or is their a working iPhone/Ipod Touch simulator for the PC that would allow me to do this for games? 2) Is question one isn't possible, what is the best HD camcorder and what settings (i.e. dark or light room) work best for recording?

Thanks for any suggestions and I'm on a non-jailbroken (not going to jailbreak) 3rd Generation Ipod Touch.
03-22-2010, 02:00 PM
#2
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by therhino View Post
I'm really interested in doing some video reviews of games/apps along with written reviews, but I'm not exactly sure the best way to capture gameplay. My preference would be a tool that could capture video directly from my Ipod Touch and allow me to go from there, but from what I've found the only way for someone without the src and a Mac is to get a HD camcorder and record video that way.

My questions are, 1) is it possible to capture video from my iPod Touch or is their a working iPhone/Ipod Touch simulator for the PC that would allow me to do this for games? 2) Is question one isn't possible, what is the best HD camcorder and what settings (i.e. dark or light room) work best for recording?

Thanks for any suggestions and I'm on a non-jailbroken (not going to jailbreak) 3rd Generation Ipod Touch.
I believe there's a specific tool, of which I forgot the name, it does require to jailbreak your iPhone though. But with it, you should be able to record your iPhone screen.

Ofcourse you could also use some kind of camera or webcam, so it actually shows when you touch the screen.

And as far as I know there are no iPhone emulators, no.

Also, when recording with a webcam I feel the best way is to make sure the background is dark. So the brightness of the screen will be the focus of the video. It's sometimes annoying seeing background stuff / other people's hands over 90% of the screen.

- iSourceGaming.com -
iPhone Gaming Source

News and Reviews of the best iPhone games

Last edited by Drhank; 03-22-2010 at 02:03 PM.

03-22-2010, 02:04 PM
#3
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drhank View Post
I believe there's a specific tool, of which I forgot the name, it does require to jailbreak your iPhone though. But with it, you should be able to record your iPhone screen.

Ofcourse you could also use some kind of camera or webcam, so it actually shows when you touch the screen.

And as far as I know there are no iPhone emulators, no.

Also, when recording with a webcam I feel the best way is to make sure the background is dark. So the brightness of the screen will be the focus of the video. It's sometimes annoying seeing background stuff / other people's hands over 90% of the screen.
Thanks for the help, I have no interest in jailbreaking, but thanks anyway. I have tried to record in dark areas, but I think the quality of my webcam has been the reason for the colors not showing up properly.
10-13-2010, 01:29 PM
#4
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 742
It's obvious that some iPhone game reviewers have software that captures the screen in real time as they play. Here's an example http://www.youtube.com/user/TheGameT.../7/OBJLn-2pdiI
Maybe TheGameTrail will tell you how he does it.
10-13-2010, 05:33 PM
#5
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 3,839
why not use the iDevice simulator from the sdk on the mac & any capture software for the mac itself?

Mis-quotes!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSon View Post
The bottom two is where you can buy your bottom turrets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
at this point I should say we're not looking for anymore guys
10-13-2010, 06:01 PM
#6
Joined: May 2009
Location: TA 09'
Posts: 2,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimo View Post
why not use the iDevice simulator from the sdk on the mac & any capture software for the mac itself?
But I don't haz a mac

Upcoming iPhone Games: World of Midgard,Paper Monsters, LostWinds,The First Attempt,Blade Slinger, Kale in Dinoland, Prevail
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerzack1 View Post
the psp sucks it has dumb games the nintendo ds is so much better
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
Dumb people are dumb.
10-13-2010, 06:40 PM
#7
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimo View Post
why not use the iDevice simulator from the sdk on the mac & any capture software for the mac itself?
How do you simulate the use of the accelerometer or the gyroscope?
10-14-2010, 01:42 PM
#8
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 3,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowsFall View Post
But I don't haz a mac
Then How U developing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrotran View Post
How do you simulate the use of the accelerometer or the gyroscope?
Me do not knoz if latest sdk has tht option, me has leo, not snow leo, but what do U think he'll be able to do without a mac? even with a 3rd part middle ware approval, mac IZ needed

Mis-quotes!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSon View Post
The bottom two is where you can buy your bottom turrets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
at this point I should say we're not looking for anymore guys

Last edited by ultimo; 10-14-2010 at 01:45 PM.
10-14-2010, 03:04 PM
#9
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 86
As a developer there are tools we can use (I think it's called iSimulate) but you need the actual game binary, so that doesn't work for those that are looking to use it for third-party reviews.

Patti @ XMG
10-17-2010, 10:15 PM
#10
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1
Macbook + ScreenFlow can perfectly handle it if you have Mac.

For PC users you can use Veency. It's a iPhone screen remote app which can be downloaded at macshop so you can display your iPhone/iPad screen on your computer screen.

Tutorial here: record iPhone screen

It will be somehow delay since it's wifi. I'm not sure it can capture gameplay on iPhone with full FPS.