★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Simple to play ... challenging to master ... ridiculously ADDICTIVE!

You've seen Hoops Madness. Maybe you've already played it and feel like you're itching for an even bigger challenge? Step on over to Hoops Madness Flick. The arcade basketball shooting version of Hoops Madness where you flick the ball to shoot!

It sounds simple, but do you have what it takes to aim the ball to make on a sideways moving basket when the pressures on?

NOTE: We are working on an update now which will show your country's flag in the leaderboard, show a ticker stream of the latest scores posted, and have DLC which will allow you purchase Hoops Madness and Lumpy Hoops in Hoops Madness Flick! So if you're interested in the other versions as well, stay tuned, and you can get them all under one icon!!

FEATURES:

***Flicking goodness: Shoot by flicking the ball to the basket. Remember that the basket is moving so you'll need to lead your shots!
***Time Mode: You're got 45 seconds to get as many points as possible!
***Endurance Mode: See how long you can play and how many points you can rack up!
***Special Balls: Can you figure out how to use the Power, Money, and Atom balls to get even higher scores?
***Global High Scores: Show the world how you DOMINATE DA BOARDS by posting your scores on our Global Score Tables!
***Challenge A Friend: Want to show your buddy that you're got game? Send them a Challenge!
***Facebook Connect: See just how much you own the court compared to your friends! Post streams when you rule!
***OpenFeint Support: Want to see how youre doing versus the OpenFeint community? You can do that too!

2n Productions is a small indie developer dedicated to making polished and fun games for the iPhone and iPod touch.

If you enjoy the game, help support us by leaving a good review and telling your friends! Your support will allow us to improve Hoops Madness Flick as well as create new games for you to play!

Have comments, suggests, or just want to say "Hi"? Feel free to send us e-mail at our support e-mail address!

Still on the fence? Try our LITE Version! Hoops Madness Flick Lite is available!

Devilishly Good's comments:

Youtube link | Pop Up
03-22-2010, 11:53 PM
eh, I dunno. Hoops Madness, Hoops Madness Flick, Lumpy Hoops. Don't all these apps look the same with a few minor modifications. Its almost like the dev should've bunched the 3 together or added a flick option/new theme option to the other one and charged an extra buck instead of releasing them as separate apps.

03-23-2010, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedog View Post
eh, I dunno. Hoops Madness, Hoops Madness Flick, Lumpy Hoops. Don't all these apps look the same with a few minor modifications. Its almost like the dev should've bunched the 3 together or added a flick option/new theme option to the other one and charged an extra buck instead of releasing them as separate apps.
Well, that would be called "conscientious." I have the feeling though, instead, the aim here is to try to sell the same game as many times as possible by repackaging it with different skins and/or minor variations.
03-23-2010, 12:08 AM
The gameplay is a lot different here. However I’d like to have one single icon for all Hoops variations (e.g. DLC).

Anyway, this game requires a lot of flicks. I like it but Hoops Madness is the #1 for me.

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8
03-23-2010, 05:31 AM
Wow! I didn't even realize this was out until I was looking at the leaderboard for the game late this evening!

I read the comments so far and hope I can help clarify why there are multiple products.

Lumpy Hoops and Hoops Madness are similar products. I stated this in our Hoops Madness thread and am not trying to pitch these as two radically different items.

Lumpy Hoops was a minigame in our QuitIt! game. We got a lot of positive feedback on it and thought that with some changes, it would be a really good standalone product. We also thought that it would be good to create a version of it that had a more basketball look to it. Our thought was that the more traditional look version would have a larger appeal to basketball fans, but there was also still a possible audience for people that aren't necessarily basketball fans, but would be curious about the cute and quirky blue character.

Hoops Madness ended up getting on the top 100 in the sports category on the first day of its release, whereas Lumpy Hoops did not.

Hoops Madness Flick, while it looks similar to Hoops Madness, uses flicking to shoot the ball versus tapping. It also has a single shooting station instead of three. This results in different gameplay and strategy.

Originally, we had only one version that contained both shooting methods. This version was ready around January. Wanting to learn from our lessons with QuitIt!, we chose to do some extensive gameplay testing and tuning before release. So for the next several weeks we used 3 formal beta groups and a subset of random people to help refine the game. We also had the chance to set up some testing sessions were we could actually watch the people play the game.

During the testing we found many surprising things. One thing that became clear was that people were extremely polarized to one version or the other. We also found that if people switched between shooting versions too early, they often got confused on how the play the game. Conceptually they got that there were 2 different shooting methods. But when you watched them, their hands did something completely different.

Another item that factored into our decision was that if players chose the version they didn't like first, their initial impression of the game was significantly lowered. When we convinced them to try the other version, they typically really liked the other version. This was often followed up with a "why didn't you tell me to play this one first?". It was suggested to us from several of these people to split the games up

For an indie developer that is funding the game on their own, these types of decisions are difficult. A unified version versus multiple versions each have their pros and cons. Based on weighing the feedback from people we decided that in order to reduce the amount of confusion people were encountering multiple versions was the best approach. We felt that the initial impression and satisfaction of the player was more important than the raised eyebrows we'd potentially get from some people about why the products look so similar.

I hope this at least sheds some light as to why we did this.

Both games are quite fun and strangely quite addictive. If you check out our leaderboards, you can see that many of our players return back several times a day to sneak in a few games. So hopefully that is an indicator that all the extra time we took to tune the game and get user feedback has helped to create a satisfying game experience.

We hope that people will give either Hoops Madness or Hoops Madness Flick a try!

We also have a live video of Hoops Madness Flick in action. It features our very own Hermantor. Right now he holds the record for the longest game played ... which is mind boggling 74 minutes!

Go to where the basketball court and arcade go 1 on 1 with Hoops Madness!
03-23-2010, 06:03 AM
Fair enough. But surely if there is such polarisation between those who like flick as opposed to tap, a lite version would be in order for each so we could know which one to purchase?
03-23-2010, 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Fair enough. But surely if there is such polarisation between those who like flick as opposed to tap, a lite version would be in order for each so we could know which one to purchase?
I agree that lite version are necessary. I purchased the lumpy hoops and was thinking about Hoops madness and then hoops madness flick somes out ? It feels like a money grab situation with all 3 being so similar..................These could all have been updates or at least DLC. Who would want to take up 3 icon spaces for a games that are so similar ? You might actually sell more in the long run with one game with TONS of content. It's like doodle jump releasing a new game every time they make an update.

I feel you have done this in a very confusing way. All 3 games should be in one.

Just a thought

Last edited by cranker; 03-23-2010 at 07:52 AM.
03-23-2010, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the feedback. It is appreciated! And we're definitely sorry if this has confused and rubbed some people the wrong way.

Sorry that it turned out this way for you cranker. But I hope you've enjoyed Lumpy Hoops so far!

We thought there would be a little confusion, but that it would not be voiced this strongly.

We were targeting the beginning of March Madness as a time to try and hit for release. And we almost couldn't even make it. We also did not think we'd get such fast approval times by Apple. We originally thought we'd be getting a 1-2 week turn around time, but have gotten more like 2-3 days. At that time, since we don't have experience with DLC, we didn't know if we could have all the DLC versions implemented and tested (which we do have planned) in time for the start of the tournament (which we barely did). We'd still need different versions since depending on people's tastes, they'd need different starting points.

We are indie devs. Which means that we are not necessarily master marketers. And we certainly don't have a crystal ball into the minds of the consumer or the future. Nor do we have unlimited funds or man power.

As I mentioned, we do actually plan on having a merge point via DLC for these products to resolve that icon issue. We unfortunately didn't think there'd be that many people wanting to get the different versions of them all this soon. It was actually a surprise to us that we had a lot of people getting all the products. And we're of course thankful for those people !

We also plan on having an ad-based lite version for people to try. We were already to go, but then we were getting crashes with AdMob. Yesterday they released a version of the SDK that supposedly resolves this problem. We'll probably have that submitted today.

Which actually brings up a good question for you guys. Let's say we get these versions with DLC done, how do you think they should differentiated?

For each product we develop, we take the time to test and tune each game so they are solid and play well. If you talk to people here on TA that have either worked with us as testers or got the product, they will tell you that we do listen earnestly to people's feedback and are dedicated to trying to make the best products possible.

Every product cycle has been a learning experience for us. And we definitely appreciate getting the comments. Hopefully with the next stuff we do, we can execute in a fashion that suits more people!

In the meantime, we hope people will still give these games a chance, since they are quite fun!

Go to where the basketball court and arcade go 1 on 1 with Hoops Madness!
03-23-2010, 06:46 PM
While beta testing I liked tap much more than flick. Still flick was good tho.

hello!
03-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Wish I had known about this version prior to getting the tap version. I probably would have gone with this one instead. I'm a big "flick" fan. Flick Kick Field Goal is one of my favorite sport themed apps. This one looks fun too.

I'll probably get this version, but as others have mentioned, I've got a serious lack of space on my phone, so I'll need to make room first. I would love to see a DLC option to consolidate the icons sooner rather than later. A free version to try it out would be nice too.

Xbox Gamertag & Game Center: CzarCastic