★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Gifting Apps

03-23-2010, 09:11 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Gifting Apps

I've just learned that apps can now be gifted to friends in the same way that music can. HERE

I'm wondering now how developers (without deep pockets) might be able to make the best use of the new feature. Or maybe we won't need to as our loyal fans will now just start buying in bulk...
03-23-2010, 09:31 AM
This is cool! I've wanted this feature for a while! More for just giving gifts in general than for promotional potential though.

"when he eats three poops and becomes muscle bound, that was worth the .99 right there." -Super Fly!
Tetris and Bubble Wrap had a baby and named it Super Juicy!
TouchGen Best of 2009 Finalist! 5/5 Best of 2009

03-23-2010, 09:35 AM
Yeah... you agreed to Apples new disclaimer without even reading it?

But it is in fact a cool new feature - makes app trades over stores in different countries very easy.

And now - Hodapp can start making a lot of cool contest and gifting us with apps!!

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
03-23-2010, 10:01 AM
hmmm

I hope gifting apps don't raise the rank. Top paid apps were only doing around 10-15k a day. And if you're the dev, 70% of that goes back to yourself so it really only cost 3-5k to buy a top 10 spot. OMG.
03-23-2010, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlue View Post
hmmm

I hope gifting apps don't raise the rank. Top paid apps were only doing around 10-15k a day. And if you're the dev, 70% of that goes back to yourself so it really only cost 3-5k to buy a top 10 spot. OMG.
That was the sort of scenario I was mulling over, hence my reference to deep pockets. Cheer up though comrade - it might never happen...
03-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Guaranteed that someone tries this within the next 3 days. We'll know soon enough if the top 10 spots are replaced by random apps. I mean, it's only a 3k bet for a potential 5 figure reward or much, much more. Probably cost less than 3k to find out if the ranks are moving and stop if it isn't. Would cost less than 1k to test a 99c app really...

I dunno why I'm posting this in a public forum instead of trying it myself.

p.s.

If it works, I hope Apple bans the entire account and pulls all their apps for abusing the app store.

Last edited by MrBlue; 03-23-2010 at 10:20 AM.
03-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Seems to me that you'd need a pretty powerful marketing machine for it to actually work though so it would be very hard to achieve for a small indie. Other than that, you may be right.
03-23-2010, 10:38 AM
It'd be cool if you could gift an app from within that app, just press a button, enter an email address and your password and a friend is sent (a download code for) the app. Imagine being able to unlock extra content by gifting the app. That'd be incredibly cool

-=< Fat Owl With A Jetpack >=-
-=< Topia World Builder >=-
-=< Twitter >=-
-=< Blog >=-
03-23-2010, 10:44 AM
I'd be surprised if some of the bigger companies (that use pr firms) weren't already doing this with normal bulk buys to ensure that their apps get an initial leap into a favorable chart position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlue View Post
hmmm