★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Which X-Plane should I get

02-09-2009, 03:23 AM
Which X-Plane should I get

I really want to try one of the x-planes but I can't decide which one. I've ruled out helicopter. I keep reading good things about the airliner but that sounds less fun to me. So that leaves me thinking I would like the original or the new extreme version.

Any suggestions???

How many aircraft do the each one have?

Thanks guys
02-09-2009, 04:32 AM
I think you're on the right track. I love all four of these apps, but I think you've ruled out the right ones.

In order, least recommended first:

Helicopter has 4 helos. It's the hardest to fly, and relatively slow. A great app, but I'd recommend moving onto this once you've tried one of the others, if you want try try something really different.

Airliner has 6 planes. It's all about flying heavy, slow reacting aircraft. Not the most exciting, but still very good. Has the most airports to visit. One of the best if you want to practice blind approaches using ILS.

X-Plane 9 has 6 planes. All fairly nimble, light aircraft. Including one jet. Probably the easiest for a beginner.

Extreme has only 4 planes for now, but they're the most varied. I guess more will come in future updates. The Raptor is insane fun to fly, but the others are heavy, unresponsive planes, closer to airliners. Also has the benefit of other planes to follow, this is the closest you'll get to any kind of mission until more updates come along.

For me Extreme is the best. Certainly if you want a fast paced blast around some canyons, Extreme is definately the one for you.
The original X-Plane 9 is probably the best for a beginner who wants to take learning to fly more seriously.

02-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Extreme! Fighter jets are awesome and the F22 Raptor is INCREDIBLE. Seriously, it is worth the $$$
02-14-2009, 06:57 PM
X-Plane 9 is the best. A bit of everything. General.
Airliner is more challenging.
02-14-2009, 07:28 PM
I went with x-plane 9. I like it but I think I would have enjoyed extreme more though. I went with 9 because people were saying the maps are too small for the speed of the extreme planes. Might have to get extreme now. idk
02-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Get all 4 version

Just get all four version! I did! But X-Plane Extreme is the best for the money!
Hope this helps.

-=The Gamer Dad=-
-Currently Playing- Everything on the iPad Air
02-14-2009, 08:00 PM
I only have X-Plane Airliner but love it - of course it takes more time to change direction - but that the point of trying to fly something that weighs 500 tons

I just love X-Plane Airliner - even landed it during last real flight to Ireland!

All-time favourite App - no doubt
02-16-2009, 04:09 AM
Is there X-Plane for click wheel iPods? I doubt it. So this thread is obviously in the wrong forum.
05-01-2009, 12:48 PM
+1 ccx
05-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by PowerThirst View Post
+1 ccx
Why did you just revive this thread and post something nobody can understand? I thought something important happened.

Plus+/OpenFeint Username: gscal