★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: SciFly II First Look

02-09-2009, 06:45 AM
Send a message via AIM to jshmrsn
SciFly II First Look

Hi everyone.
Just dropping in again to give an update on SciFly's status.
I am very sorry I haven't been publishing expansion updates to SciFly like I had expected to do. Originally I wasn't able to focus on content updates because there were so many critical bugs that I've only recently been able to fix in 1.4.

Hopefully I will be able to push out some content updates for SciFly soon, but now days I just can't get myself to stop working on SciFly II. I haven't officially announced SciFly II until today. It's going to be a long time before it's done, but it includes everything I ever wanted to add to SciFly: Dogfight, but now in a much more interesting game world.

Touch Arcade posted a link to the Alpha Demo Video, and Slide To Play has also covered it.

Touch Arcade: http://toucharcade.com/2009/02/09/sc...ha-demo-video/

SlideToPlay: http://www.slidetoplay.com/story/scifly-ii-first-look

We'll be having more updates in the near future. To get real-time updates on SFII development follow it on www.Twitter.com/scifly

Thanks so much,
Josh Rosen
www.LicentiaSoftware.com
02-09-2009, 07:04 AM
Sounds good buddy, keep up the good work. Hope school is going well for you.

02-09-2009, 07:29 AM
Can't wait for it to come out! It'd better beat NFS in graphics
02-09-2009, 07:35 AM
I don't think the grahics will be better than nfs. But hwo cares ? The game looks realy cool already .
02-09-2009, 08:24 AM
sweet! this looks pretty good
02-09-2009, 08:50 AM
Hey developer, how well did the first game do? It's a fun little game, defintiely one I play on the train here and there, and I do appreciate that update you issued last month.

Just curious.
02-09-2009, 09:14 AM
Looks significantly different from the first, with it being more open-spaced. I really like how it looks (reflections on the water etc). Good stuff. Hope you can start adding some good stuff to the first one soon- been waiting a while now.
02-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Send a message via AIM to jshmrsn
Hi,
Thanks for the feedback

I can't really say if I'll be able to surpass NFS's graphics, there's a lot of money behind that game that an independent developer like me doesn't exactly have. That said, I'm really excited about the artistic style I'm developing for SF2. As you could see from the first SciFly, I really like the idea of very diverse environments (i.e. Lava, Snow, Jungle, etc.). I think this type of style will make for a beautiful game, especially now that all these different environments are going to be in the same world connected by a blue oceans. Also, since this is a sequel, I have tons more to work with this time around. With SF1 my game engine started low and ended with medium quality at release. Well, SF2's game engine starts with medium and is already completely revamped long before release.

This time I am also doing a split in contracted work, I am using most of the money from SF1 to hire a friend to do as much of the artwork as possible. This will hopefully allow us to focus on individual development tasks to gain a better level of polish. In contrast with SF1, I was doing the 3D modeling, level design, texturing and marketing. This made it really hard to do any one of those things perfectly. Hence the bugs in the first release of SciFly

Oh and @ rich_952000, I switched in homeschooling this semester, so that's going good. Hopefully that will allot me more time to develop SF2.

Anyway I guess that kinda touches and everyone's questions...

Thanks again and good luck @wastedyuthe on your first iPhone game and good luck @yourofl10 on your app reviewing

-Josh