★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Sufficent Hardware For Development

02-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Sufficent Hardware For Development

Sorry if this has been covered, but a search for "equipment" and "hardware" didn't really turn up anything appropriate. I'd love to get into iDevice development. I have an iPod Touch and a couple of development books, but being a Windows developer for the past 15 years I'm missing one vital component: a Mac. I don't really have the money to spend for one at all, but for the sake of argument I'm looking anyway. I was wondering if the 1.83 GHz Mac mini with 2 GB of ram would be sufficient for iDevice development. Initially I'll only be doing 2D games, but if I can make I go at this I might consider something like the Unity engine down the road. All input is greatly appreciated.

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
02-09-2009, 11:07 AM
As long as it's a mac with an Intel heart and it's running Leopard (10.5.x) you're good to go. That mini will work just fine.
02-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the quick response. Now I just have to convince my wife to let me buy one

Eric Pankoke
02-09-2009, 11:41 AM
When we first started out with iPhone apps, we used a MacBook with 2.0 GHz and 1 GB RAM and it was fine. I believe as long as it has an Intel CPU, that Mac mini will be fine.
02-09-2009, 11:46 AM
It definitely has an Intel CPU, so it looks like that's probably what I'll be going for. Thanks for the input everyone!

Eric Pankoke