★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

The TouchArcade Banner...

03-24-2010, 11:25 AM
The TouchArcade Banner...

The touchArcade banner highlights the latest in iPhone gaming... whilst this is the case even for iPod touch users, the iPad run on a different SDK.

I was thinking it might be better to call it AppStore gaming?

But I dunno, just thought I'd make a thread highlighting that fact.

iPhone 4 32GB OS.4.0.1
Currently playing: Carcassonne [5/5], Flick Football [5/5], Football Manager [5/5]
iPad 64GB OS 3.2.1
Currently playing: Chopper 2 [4/5], Mod Conflict (too short) [4/5], Osmos HD [4/5]
03-24-2010, 12:35 PM
iPhone gaming sounds cooler

03-24-2010, 02:34 PM
I believe that the official name for the OS that powers all three devices is "iPhone OS," so technically the banner still applies.
03-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
I believe that the official name for the OS that powers all three devices is "iPhone OS," so technically the banner still applies.
Yep. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_OS_version_history 3.2 Initial support for the newly announced iPad
03-24-2010, 02:45 PM
ya, we always just went with "iPhone" to mean all iDevices.

arn
03-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
ya, we always just went with "iPhone" to mean all iDevices.

arn
Yeah I've got an Ipod Touch, but I agree iPhone is the best term, App Store just doesn't sound right to me.
03-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMc99 View Post
Yep. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_OS_version_history 3.2 Initial support for the newly announced iPad
So just to clear it up for myself, the iPad runs a completely new SDK but on the same OS?

iPhone 4 32GB OS.4.0.1
Currently playing: Carcassonne [5/5], Flick Football [5/5], Football Manager [5/5]
iPad 64GB OS 3.2.1
Currently playing: Chopper 2 [4/5], Mod Conflict (too short) [4/5], Osmos HD [4/5]
03-24-2010, 04:37 PM
iPhone was the first, and it's the most commonly used
03-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tocarina View Post
iPhone was the first, and it's the most commonly used
That's not the point I was trying to make though - games are now going to be individual to the two platforms.

Yes, it is more likely that developer's will make games for both, but there may well (and most likely) be apps that are exclusive to iPhone or iPad. Such as Apple's iWork suite among other things.

Therefore, it's like a site reviewing both DS and Wii games calls itself a DS gaming site.

I know both devices will be portable and running the same OS - according to info in this thread, so it's a poor example, but the differences in the games/software are the same. You get the same games on DS as you do on the Wii but there are exclusives to each, such as Mario Galaxy Wii or Advance Wars for DS.

Ultimately, my point was that this site will be reviewing both and seeing as how the iPhone and iPod touch run the same apps, the iPhone gaming on the banner makes sense thus far.

But the iPad runs it's completely own set of apps on, I believe, its own SDK. Therefore, the banner doesn't cover the iPad in that if I was searching for a site that reviewed primarily iPad apps, I would think TA was only reviewing iPhone apps - given its banner.

iPhone 4 32GB OS.4.0.1
iPad 64GB OS 3.2.1

Last edited by HipHopTouch; 03-24-2010 at 04:56 PM.
03-24-2010, 05:01 PM
Send a message via AIM to KGameLover1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HipHopTouch View Post
That's not the point I was trying to make though - games are now going to be individual to the two platforms.

Yes, it is more likely that developer's will make games for both, but there may well (and most likely) be apps that are exclusive to iPhone or iPad. Such as Apple's iWork suite among other things.

Therefore, it's like a site reviewing both DS and Wii games calls itself a DS gaming site.

I know both devices will be portable and running the same OS - according to info in this thread, so it's a poor example, but the differences in the games/software are the same. You get the same games on DS as you do on the Wii but there are exclusives to each, such as Mario Galaxy Wii or Advance Wars for DS.

Ultimately, my point was that this site will be reviewing both and seeing as how the iPhone and iPod touch run the same apps, the iPhone gaming on the banner makes sense thus far.

But the iPad runs it's completely own set of apps on, I believe, its own SDK. Therefore, the banner doesn't cover the iPad in that if I was searching for a site that reviewed primarily iPad apps, I would think TA was only reviewing iPhone apps - given its banner.

...facepalm.

At the top of your browser, it says:
Touch Arcade: iPod Touch, iPad and iPhone Game Reviews and News

Look harder. It's been like this for at least a month.