★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: R-Type on iPhone/iPod Touch?

02-09-2009, 03:10 PM
R-Type on iPhone/iPod Touch?

why isnt there any games out there like this right now? is it not popular? I really love these types of games. there are a few top downs, and a few side scrollers, but nothing quite like it. I just feel like it would be possible on this platform.
anyone else think so?
02-09-2009, 03:17 PM
or Gradius would be awesome snes and psone versions

02-09-2009, 03:27 PM
i LOVE R-type, it would make a very good port
02-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Definitely. I would love R-Type for the iPhone. One of my top 3 games of all time.
02-09-2009, 03:28 PM
I would LOVE to see R-Type ported...

Awesome post by the way with VERY obvious questions...

I have been asking myself the same ones for quite some time. I mean did developers really forget what real gaming is all about!?

How hard really is to make proper vertical or side shooter? Very hard looking at current list of games...

Is i platform suitable for this type of games?

It is not suitable IT IS FREKN PERFECT!

Yet noone can make decent shooter...

Guy behind SpaceX is on the right track but still has some way to reach the target...

02-09-2009, 03:38 PM
I want to see Project X

{ Permanently addicted to: 868-HACK }
I perform. Therefore I am. You should book me.
..::: METROCCOLIS :::..
02-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Have you tried out the retro remixes on XBLA yet? Very, very well done.

R-Type would be tough to pull off because it is such a precision game. It's not impossible by any stretch of the imagination, but it may require some very creative thinking. Maybe something more along the lines of R-Type Command, the strategy game on the PSP?
02-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflame View Post
why isnt there any games out there like this right now? is it not popular? I really love these types of games. there are a few top downs, and a few side scrollers, but nothing quite like it. I just feel like it would be possible on this platform.
anyone else think so?
Not to many side scrolling shooters on the Iphone, in fact, I can only think of one and it's a good one - Platypus. This one comes highly recommended from me It was also available on the PSP.

So Cal Mike
http://www.ChaseTheChuckwagon.com
Video Gaming Dedicated Auction Site
02-09-2009, 04:07 PM
being a shooter freak, i know that the processing power is critical to be done right.

i'm now having a shooter revitalization, playing the Gaiares Collection, Silpheed, Star Soldier, Salamander, Robo Aleste, Sol Feace(Sega CD!) and other classics including a great R-Type from psx on my psp.

one of my fave vertical shooters was Haley's Comet (arcade) in the late 80's. i'm now playing Soldner-X on the PS3 (from the store $10) and this is insane.

my point being - we all love our wonderful mobile units - we should pick up games that utilize its features well, and there are hundreds. i'm now starting to get much more picky when i buy (even the free ones) a game for my phone. maybe, for some of you, this is your only gaming unit - but i doubt it.

i'm not saying it's impossible to be done right for the iPhone/touch, but it's a challenge - especially compared to the games mentioned above.

Gravity is my game :: Top Slingshot Player and working to get my #1 spot in Orbital back...
02-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasethechuckwagon View Post
I can only think of one and it's a good one - Platypus. This one comes highly recommended from me It was also available on the PSP.
I have Platypus on the PSP, how does the iPhone one compare?