Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > Upcoming iPhone and iPad Games

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 01:03 AM

Default BoardBox ~ realistic, true-to-life board games on iPad.

Since Apple’s iPad announcement, Movile Inc. has been focusing hard on making the best game for the new platform that we possibly could. Realism, depth, and interaction were our goals, and we'll let you judge how you think we did.

We are overjoyed to finally announce our latest title,

BoardBox is set to be the most graphically rich and realistic looking board game set on iPad.

With dozens of features and true-to-life visuals, BoardBox is the only board game you will need on your iPad! Grab a friend and play a game of Chess, Checkers, or Reversi. Turn off the rules and make up your own! Play with a friend around the world via email!

And the list goes on….

- 15 board games, including:
.……Chess
..……Checkers
...……Reversi
....……Tic Tac Toe
.....……Go
......……International Draughts
.......……Xiangqi
........……Westernized Xiangqi
.........……plus 5 Chess and 2 Go variants!

- Email multiplayer
- 3 unique board styles: Mahogany, Granite, and Old School
- Rules and Game History provided by Wikipedia
- and MUCH more!

Included in our plans for future releases are feature updates, tons of new games, and continuing to elevate BoardBox to be the ultimate board game application on your iPad. And best of all: future updates will be 100% free! No in-app purchase content. We simply make it; you get it. FREE.

Best of all is the price: just $3.99 on launch day! Compare that to a set of travel games for $29.95 and you’ll see the value right away. Plus, it might be a little hard to shove those little plastic pieces in an email to play with your friend on the other side of the world. Or save your game for next time. Or look up the rules without carrying around a book. Or … well, I think you get the idea.

BoardBox for iPad.

Hello again!

I'm here to answer a bunch of questions regarding the way we're handling certain features and such with respect to BoardBox and the way it is played:

1) How will email multiplayer work?
We tried to make this as seamless as possible. And it pretty much is. Here are the total steps:
- Make a move, tap email, tap send.
In order to make a move, once you've opened the email,
- Tap the link in the email, make a move, tap email, tap send.

The recipient also gets a nice graphic right from the game showing them the board, rendered on the fly from within BoardBox!

Perhaps this is better illustrated in pictures, so I have more screenshots for you!

2) What are the plans for the future?
Jeez, let us release the game first! Actually, we're thinking about the future just as much as you are. We've got a bunch of new games planned (and yes, we're taking your suggestions into consideration), some tweaks to make gameplay better, international localizations, and some other cool stuff that will elevate BoardBox further. Stay tuned!

3) What's the deal with no logic engine or artificial intelligence to play against the computer?
We wanted to make this game the best quality that we could. Focus on gameplay and make a great multiplayer game. The iPad is a huge screen that can be shared with people a heck of a lot easier than an iPod touch or iPhone. Second, there simply wasn't enough time to develop a logic engine, but even with that said, the point was to create a fantastic multiplayer experience, and we think we've done that, and included worldwide email multiplayer to boot!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and hopefully we'll be able to answer them for you! BoardBox hits the iPad App Store soon, and we can't wait for everyone to play along! Take a look at some more drool candy while you wait, including our first look at the menu system, and our Old School Chess set with plastic pieces!

Last edited by salsamd; 03-29-2010 at 05:09 PM..
Old 03-25-2010, 01:25 AM
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x

This looks awesome!
Old 03-25-2010, 08:26 AM
iPhone 4

Nice! The e-mail multiplayer sounds like a fun feature too.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:10 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Lets be sincere this will suck, i don't think there will be any fun with the huge crab, If you'd like to create a board game, why not dedicate to one and see it is very fun to play? Watch out for the rating of this game.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:26 AM

Well I think it looks great! I would like to see Pachisi added at some point as well

-- Geb --
Old 03-25-2010, 09:58 AM
Developer
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Sounds fantastic! This is the exact thing that make me consider getting an iPad.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:27 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Does it have statistics, such as winnings/losses?

In addition, it would be nice to have a board setup (e.g. without the top menu) to allow two real players like in a real board.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:23 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos-Sz View Post
Does it have statistics, such as winnings/losses?

In addition, it would be nice to have a board setup (e.g. without the top menu) to allow two real players like in a real board.
Both great ideas

I would love to have a board set up for two players as well.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:54 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

And I hope you can add Backgammon soon! This is my favorite board game.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:19 PM

Hi everyone! Thanks very much for your responses! It is things like this that help us nail out the features that you want to see and really give us the best feedback possible! So to answer your questions:

1) By two player board setup, I think you mean a way to hid the menu controls so that two people can play together? The main idea of the game is to grab a friend and play along. Set the iPad down on a table, hold it, or pass it between you to enjoy a game of Chess, Checkers, Reversi, or any of the other 15 games we've built in so far!

2) Backgammon is on the list for a future update. Because it plays differently than most of the other games we've included, it didn't make it into the initial deadline, but it is on its way with three variations in a future update!

We're going to have more information soon on how you can get your grubby hands on BoardBox, future updates, and a video of gameplay very soon! Thanks and keep the questions coming!

Closed Thread