★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Grendel Games
  • Genre: Music
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 11.7 MB
  • Version: 1.1
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: *A platform/rhythm game based on your own music!*

Ever wanted to play a rhythm game with your own songs and the music that YOU like? Now you can, with equalized! Equalized is a rhythm/platform game for the iPhone. The goal of the game is to jump, roll and dive through jungle, urban and other themed levels to the beat of YOUR music.

Choose the songs you want to play and the Equalized Analyzer analyzes these files and creates levels based on the music. In these levels, you have to guide Running Man through various obstacles by tapping the jump or roll button. Make combinations and sequences to perform more complicated actions. Jump, dodge, roll and slide through the different themes and meanwhile keep an eye out for stars that pop up.

The better you play, the higher your score. Try to beat your friends hi-score on a certain song, share playlists or just go for that perfect 100% score on your favorite song.

Features:
- A combination of rhythm and platform gameplay.
- Play levels based on your own music!
- Get the highest score on your favorite tracks!
- 4 difficulties ranging from easy to insane.
- 6 different themes, all with their own obstacles to overcome.
- The better you play, the harder it gets, but the prettier the eye candy and the higher your score.

How to Play:
- Press the right button to jump, and the left button to roll.
- Consecutively tap the buttons to make combinations.
- Time your actions to the beat of the music, the more precise you tap, the better your score.
- Tap stars for extra points.

NOTE: To play your own tracks, you need to download the Equalized music analyzer which can be found here: http://www.grendel-games.com/equalized

ImNoSuperMan's comments:

03-25-2010, 10:39 AM
looks interesting, but ill wait for impressions

03-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Wait, how? The iPhone SDK doesn't allow direct access to the music files themselves, only the iPod player for playing your own music in-game. The only way I've seen apps "analyze" your own music was to force you to place it over the built-in speaker while it listens to the speaker over the built-in mic (which obviously only worked for iPhone users.) This game claims to analyze the files which suggests direct access. Did Apple change the SDK rules on direct music access? (Highly doubtful as that opened the door to copying music which is why they don't allow access in the first place.) If not, how did it get approved, or how did they do it? (Unless they just do what other apps have done and generate levels based on some algorithm that uses the title of the song as part of the equation, which really amounts to nothing.)

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
03-25-2010, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfield View Post
Did Apple change the SDK rules on direct music access?
Doubt it..

Quote:
NOTE: To play your own tracks, you need to download the Equalized music analyzer which can be found here: http://www.grendel-games.com/equalized
03-25-2010, 10:50 AM
From the app-description:

03-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfield View Post
Wait, how? The iPhone SDK doesn't allow direct access to the music files themselves, only the iPod player for playing your own music in-game. The only way I've seen apps "analyze" your own music was to force you to place it over the built-in speaker while it listens to the speaker over the built-in mic (which obviously only worked for iPhone users.) This game claims to analyze the files which suggests direct access. Did Apple change the SDK rules on direct music access? (Highly doubtful as that opened the door to copying music which is why they don't allow access in the first place.) If not, how did it get approved, or how did they do it? (Unless they just do what other apps have done and generate levels based on some algorithm that uses the title of the song as part of the equation, which really amounts to nothing.)
Here's how they do it.

EDIT: Too slow!
03-25-2010, 11:16 AM
Ahhh, I get it. They basically get you to create a Equalized playlist, then run a client/server on the PC/iPhone respectively to generate what I assume is a spectrum profile for each song from said playlist and upload them to the game. A bit of a long-winded and roundabout method just to play what basically looks like yet another Canabalt/2D Mirror's Edge variant.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
03-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Well, I downloaded this and was going to post impressions but I can't get the analyzer program needed to transfer songs to run. I'm waiting for a response from the dev to see what could be going wrong so I'll post impressions when/if I can. What I can say for now is this app seems to use ONLY music you upload and doesn't come with any sample music. So I paid $2.99 for something I can't at all play.

In the meantime, has anyone else picked this up yet and did you have any problems with the analyzer program if so? I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium for reference.

Open Feint - Z0MB13
Plus+ - z0mb1gzus
PSN - Sw33tZ0mb1Gzuz (if you got a PS3 I'm a regular player of MW2 & Nazi Zombies)
03-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Should probably put "Windows PCs only" in the thread title or something, the analyzer isn't out for Mac yet.
03-26-2010, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by z0||b1_G-zus View Post
Well, I downloaded this and was going to post impressions but I can't get the analyzer program needed to transfer songs to run. I'm waiting for a response from the dev to see what could be going wrong so I'll post impressions when/if I can. What I can say for now is this app seems to use ONLY music you upload and doesn't come with any sample music. So I paid $2.99 for something I can't at all play.

In the meantime, has anyone else picked this up yet and did you have any problems with the analyzer program if so? I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium for reference.
Hey thanks for trying our game! And sorry to hear that you have problems with the analyzer. We are aware of it that it might feel a little disappointing to not be able to play without the analyzer, especially if it's not working. That's why we're trying to implement a demo song in our next update and in the lite version of the game. We are working on your problem and you can expect an answer from us soon by mail.

Quote:
Should probably put "Windows PCs only" in the thread title or something, the analyzer isn't out for Mac yet.
The Mac version of the analyzer program is out aswell, but we haven't updated the description yet. Not too smart of us I have to admit. You can find it by clicking on the download link: http://www.grendel-games.com/equalized/download.html