Question for OpenFeint

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by handfreeiphonegame, Mar 26, 2010.

1. handfreeiphonegame

Feb 25, 2010
    Hi everyone!

I'm building a new iPhone app and like many, have been deciding between OpenFeint, Crystal, and Plus+

I have been looking over data and am confused about where OpenFeint gets theirs from. I was very excited that their library was already at 1,500 and growing, but then their own website says only 1,051. Are the other 500 games about to be released? Joining a big network is very important to me and I want to join the biggest and best to give my game a chance. :)

If you work for OpenFeint and can point me in the right direction, I'd be very happy for your contact.

~handfreeiphonegame

Attached Files:

2. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Where you are seeing the "1,051" games, not all games are added yet to that list. That list is relatively new, and they said it was a work in progress. So either old games who have not upgraded from 1.0 days of Openfeint are not added because they are out of date. Or because the newest most games hadn't been added yet. And yeah possibly waiting in queue to be released.

I would go with 1,500 if that's the most recent thing they have said. OpenFeint is definitely the largest social network group on the iPhone in terms of games. I have no idea plus+'s user base numbers, so I can't compare.

You can always email them and ask any questions you want, they are happy to answer. [email protected]

3. If it's important for you to have a big network, go for OpenFeint. My favourite at the moment.

And Zincous is OF champion with over 100,000 points ;)

4. handfreeiphonegame

Feb 25, 2010
    Awesome, 2 for 2 recommend OpenFeint. I'd like a bigger sample size :)

I know the library must get updated at intervals, but their newest game is for March 26, 2009, today! Still only 1,051.:confused: I just want to be sure that I'm getting the freshest data as we all know how important numbers are.

What if my game is part of that 50% unaccounted for someday :(
    I want users to buy my game!

5. highlyrefinedpirate

highlyrefinedpirate Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    it depends on the type of game.

for something like we rule, plus+ is perfect as it saves your data, but for most other games I prefer OF due to the user-friendly interface and achievements.

personally, I feel as though dizzypad has used OF in the best way out of any of the games (for every achievement you unlock a new frog).

6. jakob

jakob New Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Hi, Jakob from OpenFeint here.

The discrepancy between the number of games exposed on the OpenFeint website and the 1500+ number is because some games have not set up their iPurchase which is what allows OpenFeint to promote the game. We're working on ways of improving the system so developers don't have to input that data manually. Apple just announced an API which will make it MUCH easier so we should have a nicer solution in place soon.

7. gatti

gatti Active Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Jakob: we're really, really looking forward to the iPad SDK. hint, hint ;-D

8. Yffum

Yffum Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    #8 Yffum, May 3, 2010
    Last edited: May 3, 2010
    I'll have to disagree. I think Dizzypad has used Plus+ in the best way out of any of the games.

Rather big mistake relative to this threads purpose.

I'll also have to disagree with OF having user-friendly interface and achievements. Plus+ has just as good, if not better achievements and a very user-friendly interface.

Oh, and to the thread-starter, I hope that what ever you do you certainly don't put the Plus+ or OpenFient symbol on your icon. So many beautiful icons have been completely ruined...

9. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    My personal favorite is definitely Crystal. It's slick, fast, each one has its own theme for whatever game you're playing. I love it.

But you're going for something that has the biggest base, which Openfeint does. However, OpenFeint is so large that it might not be the best idea to push your game into that, hoping for a bigger change of success.

Between OpenFeint and Plus+, I would personally go with Plus+. I enjoy the interface a lot more, and I like how a lot of games have it, but not every game on the app store. It's plentiful, but not so much that it becomes overwhelming.

10. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    My say goes to OpenFeint as well ;)