★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Creepy Caverns -- Platforming Action OUT NOW

03-27-2010, 03:20 AM
Creepy Caverns -- Platforming Action OUT NOW

Hey guys,

Check out my new game, "Creepy Caverns".

Youtube link | Pop Up

I've taken a couple of months off work to make this game, so I hope you like it!

If you can find it in your heart to buy it and show your friends, I might be able to put off the looming need to go back to real work soon!

03-27-2010, 06:36 AM
Hi, welcome to TA. Your game looks nice, and we have already made a game thread about it. Check here.

03-27-2010, 06:47 AM
Send a message via AIM to kohjingyu
03-27-2010, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by creature View Post
Check out my new game, "Creepy Caverns".

Originally Posted by creature View Post
If you can find it in your heart to buy it...

I wasn't at all sure what to expect from a game called "Creepy Caverns", but seeing it described as "platforming action" raised my hopes significantly. I watched the video and checked out the screenshots on your website and in the App Store, and I just had to give your game a shot.

While I've only been able to spend a few minutes with it so far, I can already see that Creepy Caverns is definitely a game I'll want to spread the word about. Having said that, I think there are some improvements you could make that would increase the appeal of the game DRAMATICALLY.

First, let me tell you what I think you've done absolutely PERFECTLY:

The Icon -- It's FANTASTIC! It's like a perfect comic book cover; it's fun and colorful, and it conveys both action and adventure in a single image. It also accurately represents the content and personality of the game (a concept all too many developers seem completely oblivious to).

The Art Style -- You've done a wonderful job in crafting the look of the game. I LOVE the character, title, and background designs; Dr. Archibald is hilarious, and adds tons of charm and personality to the game, and the little details you've included so far in the splash screen and the level backgounds add interest and character of their own.

Gameplay -- The tilt controls work beautifully! I was very pleased to see that you've calibrated them to work smoothly right out of the box -- it's EXTREMELY frustrating to spend money on a new game only to discover that the developer couldn't be bothered to ensure that the controls actually worked properly, so thank you for sparing us that experience. In addition to the controls, the level design seems to be very well thought out. Like I said, I haven't had a chance to dig very far into the game, but I think I have a good sense of it, and I like what I see.

Sound Effects -- They're great! I love the jump and coin effects; they're old school, and that's how I like to roll.

Now to what I think you should add:

Music -- I started the video above and nearly fell on the floor; the game looked fantastic, and the MUSIC!!! I started to post and ask you if the track was, in fact, taken from the game, but then I decided just to pull the trigger and find out for myself. I'll admit to being severely disappointed that my hopes were unfounded, because the music in that video is AAAWESOOOME!!! For all I know, it could be from a different game, so if it is, please point me to where I can find it, but if not, PLEASE include it in Creepy Caverns!

Story/Game Summary Screen -- In my opinion, you need this between the title screen and the level selection screen; as it is now, the jump from title to level selection is a bit disorienting. A simple screen with some art and maybe something along the lines of your App Store game description would be enough to transition the player to the next screen.

Countdown to Game Start -- I think it would significantly smooth the transition between the second level selection screen and each of the game start screens to have a 3-2-1 countdown before the doctor takes off. I would also suggest changing the font of the control explanation and enlarging it so that it's more legible, and I would also flash the control explanation across the screen before the countdown starts, instead of placing it above the door.

I have a couple of additional suggestions, but typing on my phone is starting to drive me nuts.

Let me know what you think, and thanks so much for letting us know about the game!

03-27-2010, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by Squeaker View Post
Hi, welcome to TA. Your game looks nice, and we have already made a game thread about it. Check here.

I didn't see your post 'til after I had posted mine (I started writing before you posted but had to stop and then start my draft again).

Don't we always defer to a developer when they start their own thread? I thought a developer thread was always supposed to become the official one, even when another one existed previously.
03-27-2010, 08:41 AM
Nice sid tune in the video!
03-27-2010, 09:23 AM
Looks nice, I will pick this up today. Is the music in the video, in the game? I hope so.
03-27-2010, 09:26 AM
Ah, C64 stuff, huh? Definitely not before my time, but... what can I say? We were an Apple family from the beginning.
03-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Awesome game so far! I generally can't stand games that solely use the accelerometer for the controls, but I can't imagine playing this game any other way. The controls are perfect!

This game, so far, actually reminds me a little bit of Hook Champ with a Donut Games look to it and I'm really digging that.

Thanks for a great game dev!
03-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Awesome game and I agree, please incorporate the music from the video in this game if you can. It fits this game perfectly...