★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Depict (Free global multiplayer Pictionary game) update is out

03-27-2010, 04:54 AM
Depict (Free global multiplayer Pictionary game) update is out

As I'm sure some have noticed an update to our Depict iPhone app just got approved and is in the store.

We added some fun new ways to connect with friends and tell them about Depict. We also did some server upgrades to make lightning round much better. We tweeked it's logic so that it's just pulling "the best of the best".

Also in exciting news - we passed HALF A MILLION images created in Depict! Of course we can't save ALL of them forever, but even just limiting our storage to the last 10 days there's still over 30,000 images served up in lightning round

Oh, and we also fixed the Push notifications so you can now invite offline players to join you for a game. It's a small thing but I just loooove being able to get people I actually know to play against when I'm bored "shopping"...

Lastly we moved the OpenFeint notifications to the top of the screen so they don't interfere with core gameplay.

Anyhow, back to iPad submittal

Tim Moser - Developer, Makeshift Games
Depict - The Ultimate Multiplayer Pictionary Game
Get Depict on iTunes »
Like Depict on Facebook »
03-27-2010, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Oh, and we also fixed the Push notifications so you can now invite offline players to join you for a game. It's a small thing but I just loooove being able to get people I actually know to play against when I'm bored "shopping"...
This is a great addition. Thanks!

I bought the custom avatar just to show my appreciation for this game being free

03-27-2010, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag View Post
This is a great addition. Thanks!

I bought the custom avatar just to show my appreciation for this game being free
Me too and lightening round - such a great game, the developers deserve something for all the work.

An absolute gem that's passing most people by because it's buried under the hype noise from things that will ultimately disappoint!
03-27-2010, 11:16 AM
A great game—I like the sounds, even.

Suggestion: allow full-color avatars. As a fan of making pixel art, that would appeal to me. And it would make the paid users stand out nicely!

(Question: can you re-edit your paid avatar as often as you want, or is it one-shot?)

Morgan Adams (GameCenter: “Adams Immersive”)
My upcoming first game: Scree (Forum thread)
My upcoming VR horror experience: This is Not the Church of the Worm (Forum thread)
Stop making lists. Organize with shapes and colors instead: DotSpace (Forum thread)
03-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams Immersive View Post

Suggestion: allow full-color avatars. As a fan of making pixel art, that would appeal to me. And it would make the paid users stand out nicely!

(Question: can you re-edit your paid avatar as often as you want, or is it one-shot?)
Yeh, I tried drawing Mario and Jake (Hook Champ) but it just can't be done without colours
03-27-2010, 01:20 PM
Quote:

Colored Avatars: That's definitally been something that's been asked for alot. It's a pretty big update so we just haven't gotten to it yet with all the crazyness around GDC and the iPad launch.

Question for you guys: In avatar creator we have this groovy zoom functionality so you can be pixel perfect on the iphone while creating your avatar.... do you use that much??? or are colors more important???

To answer Adam's question: You can have as many custom avatars as you want Tap "create new" in the top left to make new ones. You can choose which one you're currently editing by tapping on your "me" button on the top (like in-game) to launch the avatar popup.

Oh, and if you're drawing one and want to start over or completely delete it just shake your phone and it'll as which one.

Thanks for all the support everyone!

Tim Moser - Developer, Makeshift Games
Depict - The Ultimate Multiplayer Pictionary Game
Get Depict on iTunes »
Like Depict on Facebook »
03-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitrezom View Post
Question for you guys: In avatar creator we have this groovy zoom functionality so you can be pixel perfect on the iphone while creating your avatar.... do you use that much??? or are colors more important???
[/B][/I]
I think zooming is more important than colours. Its impossible to make good drawings without the zoom. Doesnt mean I would still like the colours though
03-28-2010, 11:52 PM
Anyone having trouble playing currently? I just got the update, but I don't think that's the problem: I saw over 300 players on a few minutes ago, and it has been dropping fast, now closing in on 200.

Symptom 1: Quickmatch always reports "Trouble Joining Game: All player slots are occupied" even though you did seemingly join a game

Symptom 2: touch doesn't work after joining. You can't draw, guess, Pause, or access the player pop-ups. (And nobody else is drawing or guessing either. Lots of turnover as people bail out.)

Temporary server-side glitch?

My upcoming VR horror experience: This is Not the Church of the Worm (Forum thread)
Stop making lists. Organize with shapes and colors instead: DotSpace (Forum thread)
03-28-2010, 11:59 PM
Pretty sweet for a free game, goes really well with Openfeint and i've been enjoying it for awhile

Upcoming iPhone Games: World of Midgard,Paper Monsters, LostWinds,The First Attempt,Blade Slinger, Kale in Dinoland, Prevail
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerzack1 View Post
the psp sucks it has dumb games the nintendo ds is so much better
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
Dumb people are dumb.
03-29-2010, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Temporary server-side glitch?
Seems so—it’s fine today.