★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Seeking community ideas :)

02-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Seeking community ideas :)

I've been working on a game engine with a colleague of mine, and we've come up with a very nice interface for a fps game with very good graphics; all running at a good frame rate etc.

What we're now seeking is ideas on how the game should work. Im personally into games like counterstrike and the multiplayer side of halo etc. So Im currently thinking to make it so you have just 2 game modes: deathmatch and team death match, and possibly capture the flag too. You would choose the type of game and number of rounds, number of points to reach per round and no of AI players at the start of each game. This would mean there would be no overall sort of highscores etc, but could possibly earn trophies or maybe work out a player score based on how many games they've played with their k/d.. and this could be submitted online perhaps.

What are other peoples thoughts? Would the majority of people prefer what I described above or a story based fps where you have to follow set levels etc?

Obviously online multiplayer would be a very nice feature, but we want to get the offline play sorted out as a priority.
02-10-2009, 10:03 AM
I say stick to your convictions. It is good for you to just chase multiplayer-only instead of trying to opt for a me-too FPS, including everything plus the kitchen sink. Though don't expect to win over reviewers with such a stance, even though clearly you have a multiplayer game where everything is focused around multiplayer, they'll still dock you for not having the kitchen sink.

But I say ignore that. There is a huge market for multiplayer-only titles and there's a large enthusiasm for multiplayer titles on the app store.

I do think you need to be heavy with regards to stats (kills, deaths, then complicated stuff like percentage of head/torso shots, so on). If you're going to do multiplayer only you'll want the absolute necessities and heavy stat tracking is one of them.

As for anything else, a training mode (or bot mode) is a must so players can dip their feet before going into the deep end of facing actual people.

One more thing, try and go for a less typical look. Too many games (especially FPS) look the same nowadays with a palette consisting nothing more but shades of brown and grey. Try and set the game in a more obscure world than in a modern/war torn setting, with a surprisingly colourful art direction. I'm not suggesting using pink all about the place with crayon art scribbled around, just something that looks interesting for once rather than another brown corridor. Look at Xbox Live Arcade's "Weapon of Choice" for a better understanding when I talk about a surprisingly colourful art style.

I think more than anything though is the controls, that is going to be your toughest challenge. What do you have in mind with control, and in what manner will it be presented in the UI? With regards to this I would suggest opting out of a jump mechanic. It is one less thing to worry about cramming onto the screen, plus there have been very good and successful FPS games out there with no jumping. Now, no jumping makes multi-levelled design a tad tricky so use jump pads in order for players to reach different heights.

Last edited by GDSage; 02-10-2009 at 10:17 AM.

02-10-2009, 10:50 AM
yeah, I think we'll steer clear of the story mode.. I always get through them too quickly and find them fairly boring. I prefer multiplayer even if its just against bots, which is what it will be to be begin with.

I think the controls are spot on though; and the user testing has gone fairly well so far. We're not going to bother with a jump button, like you say it would clutter the interface up too much.

The overall look has yet to be decided, but like you say we dont want the usual boring browns etc, so hopefully it will look quite nice. What we're most suprised with is the performance though: we've managed to get some huge maps generated and they run really smoothly.

What do people think of just a multiplayer with just bots? Is it something there is a big market for? As online multiplayer will be at some point in the future.
02-10-2009, 11:57 AM
trophies are a must. trophies add so much replay to a game...

and what about a points system where you can buy stuff. like clothes/guns, etc...

on a side note, it would be really cool if it had a good cover system, and some destructible environment stuff.
02-10-2009, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacerage View Post
What we're now seeking is ideas on how the game should work. I'm personally into games like counterstrike and the multiplayer side of halo etc. So I'm currently thinking to make it so you have just 2 game modes: deathmatch and team death match, and possibly capture the flag too.

Obviously online multiplayer would be a very nice feature, but we want to get the offline play sorted out as a priority.
Ok, a few thoughts.

1) I love this idea. I really enjoy playing multiplayer FPS, and you would be the first dev with a decent engine (I am assuming a lot with that statement)

2) You mentioned Halo, but I would also like to mention Unreal Tournament 2004 as an idea for how to set up some of the gameplay. One reason is that the Unreal Tournament 2004 game can play on almost any graphics card (which shows the efficiency of the programming), and it has a great layout. you have to unlock certain types of gameplay to play other types. You pick your team and your team grow with you as you progress. These are some cool idea from my point of view.

3) FPS is so important with games like this. I will point out Exzeuz as a great example of a combination of good graphics and good fps.

If you want to discuss this any further, just PM me.

Good luck!
02-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacerage View Post
What do people think of just a multiplayer with just bots? Is it something there is a big market for? As online multiplayer will be at some point in the future.
Wait, you mean your game, for now, won't have local multiplayer as well? If that is the case, you're going to have a much bigger hill to climb than if you had local multiplayer. If the core mechanics and overall balance is good, I would buy it in a snap as I would know multiplayer would come in time.

However, where site reviews are concerned you normally only have one chance with them, and a multiplayer-focused game with no actual multiplayer at all... I don't think that would make a good first impression, even if they did know it would come later via an update. Because after all, you want to make a good a first impression as possible, as you need to exhaust every avenure to ensure the title sells as much as possible.

If you could spare the resources, I would suggest to at least put in local multiplayer for the games release. I think reviewers and players in general would be a lot more forgiving then, despite there being no online yet. If you cannot spare the resources, then try and work out something with site reviewers so they could re-review the game when local and online are implemented. Though I am unsure how willing reviewers would be to doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpb1975
you have to unlock certain types of gameplay to play other types
You mean unlocking other modes? If so, please no. There is nothing worse in a multiplayer game than having to unlock modes. In a multiplayer game it is best to make all modes available from the off, because certain modes aren't preferable to everyone. Having to be forced to play a mode one does not prefer in order to unlock another mode... isn't an avenue I would suggest to go down.
02-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Just make capture the flag and copy facing worlds and lava giant from unreal tournament. Make it low gravity maps and make the weapons easy to aim with and you will sell millions of copies. instagib also.
02-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearenet View Post
Just make capture the flag and copy facing worlds and lava giant from unreal tournament.
So your suggestion is copyright infringement...
02-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpb1975 View Post
2) You mentioned Halo, but I would also like to mention Unreal Tournament 2004 as an idea for how to set up some of the gameplay. One reason is that the Unreal Tournament 2004 game can play on almost any graphics card (which shows the efficiency of the programming), and it has a great layout. you have to unlock certain types of gameplay to play other types. You pick your team and your team grow with you as you progress. These are some cool idea from my point of view.
UT 2004 Level design wuld be great .
I think a game that is abit UT 2004 wuld realy be great.

What i would like in this game is a game mode called "Assault" (It's one of the game modes in UT).

What i alsow would like is:
-a level editor (if possibel, it could be VERY hard i think (I have only done "Hello World", so idk ))
-online multiplayer
-single player mode (so that you can play this game without an internet connection (like when you're in a train/bus/car..., not at home,...))

Sounds like a great game, and i hope it will be a great game .

Last edited by Der-Kleine; 02-10-2009 at 12:43 PM.
02-10-2009, 01:14 PM
I didn't mean copy exactly but those 2 maps have the best level design to get "inspiration" from. I'm sure epic games really cares if you make a map similiar to a game from 1999 that they barely support anymore.