★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

I hate 'Lurkers'... Do you agree?

03-28-2010, 07:36 PM
I hate 'Lurkers'... Do you agree?

I am really started to get annoyed by the lurkers that are on the 'Promo Code Giveaway' section. If you have ever looked at the bottom of the forums, you will see that over 3/4 of the people on this site are 'Guests'. AKA: Lurkers. They are always taking the codes that the actual members deserve. Take for example, I was on a a thread yesterday about promo codes. The developer posted a new batch of 10 promo codes on like the 3rd page. In about 3 minutes, all the codes where used and not one single member had used them. Is there any internet type thingy that could prevent these people from looking at the 'Promo Code Giveaway' section other than the TA members? It is not good for developers asking for reviews or ratings in return, because you know the lurkers will not write or rate at all!
03-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Eyez-On-Me View Post
I am really started to get annoyed by the lurkers that are on the 'Promo Code Giveaway' section. If you have ever looked at the bottom of the forums, you will see that over 3/4 of the people on this site are 'Guests'. AKA: Lurkers. They are always taking the codes that the actual members deserve. Take for example, I was on a a thread yesterday about promo codes. The developer posted a new batch of 10 promo codes on like the 3rd page. In about 3 minutes, all the codes where used and not one single member had used them. Is there any internet type thingy that could prevent these people from looking at the 'Promo Code Giveaway' section other than the TA members? It is not good for developers asking for reviews or ratings in return, because you know the lurkers will write or rate at all!
I don't even go in that section. Or maybe like once every month.

03-28-2010, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunning View Post
I don't even go in that section. Or maybe like once every month.
Haha, same here, only when I don't have any money By the way, you do very good reviews on your site, nice job!
03-28-2010, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Haha, same here, only when I don't have any money By the way, you do very good reviews on your site, nice job!
I try my best. Which is quite good.
03-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Quote:
I try my best. Which is quite good.
Cocky
03-28-2010, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Cocky
I would be if I know that I write well.

EDIT: Anyways, let's get this topic back on track...
03-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Anyways, let's get this topic back on track...
I think we should talk to the mods about this...Limit the promocode section to TA members only.

That'd be waay better. Agreeing on this whole thread.

A quick post that i chuckled a bit at in the Lounge.
Thread: "Tell me about something you like."
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMuffin View Post
I like coming home to a freezer full of freezepops.
oh, and freezepops.
03-28-2010, 07:50 PM
There should be a way where you have to login to retrieve promo codes.

Maybe if you are not logged in, you can't see them somehow?

Not sure if that's possible. I'm not talking white text either - something that's real.
03-28-2010, 07:51 PM
This topic's actually been discussed many times. If lurkers had to create an account, we'd just have a whole bunch of members in the promo code section. If lurkers had to log in, that's the same thing. There's really no clear way - it'd be the same thing anyways.
03-28-2010, 07:58 PM
I have an idea, I doubt it would work though. For the developers asking reviews and ratings in return, the people who get the codes have to sign a virtual TA thingy and if they do not write or rate after they sign it, they recieve an infraction? It's just a start.