★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Using App Gifting for Promotion

03-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Using App Gifting for Promotion

Hey guys,

We recently did a big promotion were we gifted 1,000 copies of Harbor Master. There was lots of interest from other devs on how that would pan out, so we summarized our experience here.

In a nutshell:

- Gifting does NOT affect rank.
- Giving that many gifts is definitely a time investment.
- It's a good way to create attention around your game for promotion.
- It's nice to have an alternative distribution method other than 50 promo codes.
- It got us a lot of good will from the player community.

Last edited by nattylux; 03-29-2010 at 12:17 PM.
03-29-2010, 12:16 PM
and it also get you more fans and potential future buyers

Beta tester of 54 games
Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
Thats a nice lookin gun.
03-29-2010, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak56 View Post
and it also get you more fans and potential future buyers
Very true! That's a huge one. It's in the blog entry, but I added it to the summary as well.
03-29-2010, 12:22 PM
yeah, i actually read the blog post and see that now. for some reason, i'm always interested in these kind of evaluations, and i have no reason why!

Beta tester of 54 games
Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
Thats a nice lookin gun.
03-29-2010, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the feedback! That was a really useful & interesting experiment & hopefully you still get your 70% back (?). Regardless of whether that's the case or not, I would think it's money well-spent and well-targeted to have connected with so many customers who'll hopefully go on to be big Imangi fans.
03-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamx View Post
Thanks for the feedback! That was a really useful & interesting experiment & hopefully you still get your 70% back (?). Regardless of whether that's the case or not, I would think it's money well-spent and well-targeted to have connected with so many customers who'll hopefully go on to be big Imangi fans.
Thanks! Never even considered that we wouldn't get our 70% back. I'm sure it just counts like a regular purchase as far as royalties are concerned.

Yes, we definitely think it's money well spent. We've flat out thrown money away on marketing before, so definitely happy about this spend.
03-29-2010, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I think it's really great that you were able to get so many signups for your newsletter, definitely a great tool for promoting your games.

[url="http://appsto.re/fowlplay"]fowlplay[/url] - Now Available!
[url="http://www.happynin.com/"]Happynin Games[/url]: iPhone/iPod Touch Developer Focused on Bringing Quality Games to the App Store
03-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Good to know, thanks for the assessment. At least shadier devs can't buy their way into a feature list, and it does provide an alternative to promo codes for the purposes of promotion, albeit a slow and slightly costly one depending on how many gifts you wanna give away.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
03-29-2010, 09:16 PM
I have a question for you natty, was the account used to buy the gifted apps tied to a developer account?

I'm wondering if Apple is making sure devs can't game the system or if it's all gifting that is not ranked.