★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Why so many players in Depict??

03-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Why so many players in Depict??

Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone has spotted some coverage or featured status we missed- anything that could be driving so much traffic to our game. We cannot figure out why player levels in Depict are 10x higher than normal today. I'm not arrogant enough to believe it's word of mouth

Thanks!

James Jacoby - Developer, Makeshift Games
Depict - The Multiplayer Drawing & Guessing Game. Get Depict »
Chuck the Ball - a unique action puzzle game. Get Chuck on iTunes »
Ms. Chuck the Ball - new levels and gameplay! Get Ms. Chuck on iTunes »
03-29-2010, 04:11 PM
Spring Break? Lots of people may not be in school now.

03-29-2010, 04:19 PM
It's a damn nice game. Hopefully the traffic stays steady.

Congrats...
03-29-2010, 04:46 PM
Maybe it’s just the natural result of people going to work on Monday and playing more games

Glad to see it’s really taking off for you! So you have thousands of players now instead of hundreds?

Two UI suggestions for the purpose of avoiding misunderstandings:

1. Maybe don’t use a question mark for people who are guessing (maybe there doesn’t need to be a symbol at all)? I feel it’s likely to make new players (as I once was!) think those are all empty slots, or people who are disconnected. Also, the gray color of the default avatars give an impression of a “disabled” or “unavailable” player slot. A bold black face with no question mark might be clearer.

2. Add an option to the Whistle menu: something like “Not Drawing.” There are lots of good reasons not to draw for a moment—real life distraction in particular (since this is a mobile phone game). Or maybe (this has happened to me) your drawing is so simple you don’t see any need to keep adding more! So I think this is one problem the game should be forgiving about... even if individual players are not: people blow the whistle and call you a Cheater. So I say, give them a “Not Drawing” option so they can complain about the REAL issue (which is not cheating, just delay). And then—here’s the key--ignore “Not Drawing” complaints: don’t ban or kick or anything. This whistle option would be there just to absorb inappropriate cheat complaints.

Morgan Adams (GameCenter: “Adams Immersive”)
My upcoming first game: Scree (Forum thread)
My upcoming VR horror experience: This is Not the Church of the Worm (Forum thread)
Stop making lists. Organize with shapes and colors instead: DotSpace (Forum thread)

Last edited by Adams Immersive; 03-29-2010 at 04:49 PM.
04-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Those are good suggestions. You can blow the whistle for "sleeping" and it does exactly what you said.

BTW, we are featured in the UK, that's why we're getting all the traffic.

04-01-2010, 02:33 PM
how come no one every plays lightning round online?

is it just a 1 player game/game you can play with only friends?
04-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by souskei View Post
how come no one every plays lightning round online?

is it just a 1 player game/game you can play with only friends?
I believe so yes, was pretty dissapointed with that after buying the dlc
04-01-2010, 02:53 PM
It's not a single player game, but no one buys it so there's no one in there. It's kinda fun to play single player, but certainly more fun with others. Look for more players in there next week when the iPad version comes out. Lightning round comes built in with that one so maybe there will be more players. If not, we'll find some way to make it up to you.

04-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesj3k View Post
Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone has spotted some coverage or featured status we missed- anything that could be driving so much traffic to our game. We cannot figure out why player levels in Depict are 10x higher than normal today. I'm not arrogant enough to believe it's word of mouth

Thanks!
A recent AppSlappy podcast highlighted the app. One of the hosts liked the game and encouraged listeners to join so that he could play with people that listen to the podcast. That could have had an impact.....
04-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesj3k View Post
Those are good suggestions. You can blow the whistle for "sleeping" and it does exactly what you said.

BTW, we are featured in the UK, that's why we're getting all the traffic.
Ah—that explains the shift in “football” drawings

Morgan Adams (GameCenter: “Adams Immersive”)
My upcoming first game: Scree (Forum thread)
My upcoming VR horror experience: This is Not the Church of the Worm (Forum thread)
Stop making lists. Organize with shapes and colors instead: DotSpace (Forum thread)