★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: X-Plane for iPad

04-01-2010, 07:37 AM
X-Plane for iPad

Release date: Launch
Price: $9.99

Welcome to the world of gliders, X-15's, F-22's, airliners, light planes, aircraft carriers, fighter jets, and much much much more, all in hi-res, and all in ONE HUGE APP, optimized to fill every single pixel of the iPad in ultimate detail.

We, the programmers of Laminar Research, announce X-Plane, optimized for for iPad!

X-Plane has been well known to be the most powerful, versatile, and accurate flight sim in the world, and is now available on the stunning new iPad platform!

The large screen and powerful processors of the iPad provide a tremendous amount of power that we have NOT seen in ANY mobile device to date.
As well, the huge touch-screen interface for cockpit control and accelerometer-based sensing for flight control allow an interface to the virtual cockpit that is simply amazing.

This newly-available power and size let X-Plane for iPad have stunning new graphics and interface that we have not yet seen in any mobile device.

Based on this amazing new power and interface, X-Plane for iPad includes new scenery terrain data at a much higher resolution than X-Plane for iPhone, with terrain textures that are FOUR TIMES AS DETAILED as our previous mobile simulations.

As well, X-Plane for iPad has airplane textures that are four times as detailed as previous mobile versions of X-Plane.

3-D buildings dot the terrain, with airport terminal buildings at Seattle, San Fran, and Innsbruk, Austria.

Playing: We Rule, Plants vs. Zombies, AquaForest, Broken Sword
Plus+: Ciaran88

MacMystic - Forecasts, predictions and suggestions for Apple Inc
04-01-2010, 07:46 AM
Wow, graphics look great!
Especially the second screenshot. It looks like a PC game.
With all these great games coming out, I may have to buy an iPad.

Hakuna Matata

04-01-2010, 07:47 AM
I have to admit this really is something else..

Playing: We Rule, Plants vs. Zombies, AquaForest, Broken Sword
Plus+: Ciaran88

MacMystic - Forecasts, predictions and suggestions for Apple Inc
04-01-2010, 08:32 AM
wow wow wow , only 9.99$
04-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Huge news, basically the content from all the previous xplane apps, with four times the detail, scenery (finally!), new features, and all at one low pice. I was really hoping laminar would make this app, but I had no idea they would have it ready for launch. This really makes me want to get an iPad this weekend, but I must continue to resist...
04-07-2010, 06:04 PM
I didn't realize it included all the content from all the other iphone apps. Once I found that out I bought it immediately. It is a beautiful and top notch sim for the iPad! Wish I knew this on day 1 or I would have bought it on the first day.

I was disappointed that there are no helis yet but that is planned on an upcoming upgrade so I can wait until then. All the planes that are included will give me plenty to do until then.

I can only hope that x-plane will do an RC Helicopter sim for the ipad some day. Real helis and RC Helis have totally different flight dynamics. You can't do a tic-toc with a real heli .
04-09-2010, 01:53 PM
How do the graphics compare to the PC version? Are they close? I'm assuming not because the iPad doesn't have the rendering capability of those found in a PC.

For example, I'm assuming the water doesn't have the amazing reflections featured in the PC version?