★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Wooden Labyrinth 3D now on app store!

02-11-2009, 01:54 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Wooden Labyrinth 3D now on app store!

Hey,

My second iPhone game after the Finnish smash hit Pajatzo is a bit more familiar concept to also people living outside Finland. It's probably so familiar that some of you might be put off by it.

Why did I make a game that's been made many times already? Well, I didn't like any of the former entries enough. I thought Labyrinth wasn't tapping into the iPhone's power as much as it could (and was too expensive) and that the rest of them were just weak imitations. After completing the the 3D effects in a week I figured Illusion labs' guys should really make good on their promise to update, or face some competition.

So what do we have here? Wooden Labyrinth 3D a three dimensional version of the beloved childhood game wooden labyrinth. You tilt your iPhone to move the marble while navigating around holes. As an added twist, Wooden Labyrinth 3D allows you to "jump" the ball by shaking the iPhone vertically. By jumping, you may traverse over obstacles or even land on some of the lower walls. There are plenty of levels however that do not require/allow you to jump. (jumping can get annoying on a bumpy bus )

Oh, and the camera's perspective is based on the tilt of the device. This really gives you a fun feeling of having a real wooden labyrinth stuck within your phone. There are plenty of custom recorded sound effects in the game and an original acoustic soundtrack (or your iPod music, if it's playing). There's 100 levels with par time and developer time challenges that grant you silver and golden stars. A level editor will be made public some time soon. (the price will jump to $4 after that, so be quick).

I'd like to tell you more about the seamless menu system or the way you can calibrate the accelerometers any time during the game, but I'm thinking this is getting too long to read. Head over to App Store to check it out. Wooden Labyrinth 3D is going for a suitable $3.

App Store Link

Youtube link | Pop Up

Thanks!

Elias Pietilδ

Wooden Labyrinth 3D - Apple Design Award winner!
Multitask Madness - test your brain, challenge your friends!
Need quality iPhone consulting or custom applications? Check out my company's website at Qvik.fi!

Last edited by eVp; 02-11-2009 at 06:37 AM.
02-11-2009, 01:57 AM
woah, is this the start of the labyrinth cloning season? We just had the Sudoku and TD cloning seasons not so long ago...

Anyways, the graphics look crisp and clean. Having a 3rd dimension to "jump" the ball is a cool twist to the formula. But i guess i'll only buy it when i run out of new games to play... I'd already spent $7 on labyrinth, can't justify more cash for basically the same game... sorry. I'm sure others will like it.

Last edited by monk666; 02-11-2009 at 02:00 AM.

02-11-2009, 02:13 AM
Send a message via AIM to superbad
wow! looks loveely with the 3D

PLEASE Visit The APPera | Follow Me Superbad24 | Follow The APPera Tweets
LOST. Let Go. Move On. Zing!
**GO LAKERS **
02-11-2009, 02:27 AM
Wow. Your application looks so nice. It doesn't have the level editor like Labyrinth on the app store already, or the bigger space, or TONS of levels, but I think we can managed with the awesome possum 3D!!

I love it. Would a level editor be possible? Like Labyrinth and all that jazz? :P
02-11-2009, 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaqkie View Post

Would a level editor be possible? Like Labyrinth and all that jazz? :P
" A level editor will be made public some time soon. (the price will jump to $4 after that, so be quick)."

Still, how do you effectively market this very polished product when Labyrinth is still #91.

1. Lite version ?
2. youtube video ?

창의력
"Dream as though you will live forever; live as though you would die today."

Last edited by salsamd; 02-11-2009 at 03:00 AM.
02-11-2009, 02:46 AM
Send a message via MSN to D.Sync Send a message via Yahoo to D.Sync
I still haven't finish all the level packs on the original Labyrinth app.

Updates from Casual Gamer

Plus+ ID: dsync89 (active in all We Rule, We Farm and We City)
OpenFeint ID: dsync89
02-11-2009, 05:04 AM
This looks really great, but before I spend any money on it, I'd really want to try a lite version with just a couple of levels — including a level or two with the "jumps" rather than just a couple of rolling-only levels.

And I'll tell you why I say that... I've tried Labyrinth and the physics of the ball rolling just feels so perfectly natural and great and realistic. I've also tried a couple of the other ball-in-a-maze type games and the ball-rolling just felt wrong. It rolled too slowly, ie: it didn't emulate real gravity situations, or it rolled too fast, etc.

So whilst Labyrinth *feels* great, it's a boring game in that, although there's so many levels, they're all pretty much just the same thing over and over and over again. And it's over-priced for what it is.
Having jumps, like in your game, or sliding blocks or bouncers or sticky patches like in some other games, adds a great twist to what could otherwise be a very boring game.
These advantages that these games have though soon amounts to nothing though if the ball-rolling doesn't feel right.

So... any plans for a lite version?

• Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth • Parachute Panic • Chicken Raid
• Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox
02-11-2009, 05:16 AM
Agree with others: you need a Lite version and YouTube video to turn curiosity into purchases. Especially if there's already a strong leadrunner already.
02-11-2009, 05:23 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsamd View Post
" A level editor will be made public some time soon. (the price will jump to $4 after that, so be quick)."

Still, how do you effectively market this very polished product when Labyrinth is still #91.

1. Lite version ?
2. youtube video ?
Ahh, there's a whole set of pre-made youtube material. Too bad the App popped online while my youtube guy is sleeping. Darn time difference. The youtube clips are private at the moment. Hopefully they'll be online later today.

Lite version is always a possibility, seeing how well some of the apps have done with one. (and hey, supporting a starving college student is never a bad idea - that reminds me.. I'm starving because I didn't eat lunch yet.. got to go!)

And by the way, the physics are pretty sweet let me assure you. You'll likely get a good idea once the youtube clips come live!

Wooden Labyrinth 3D - Apple Design Award winner!
Multitask Madness - test your brain, challenge your friends!
Need quality iPhone consulting or custom applications? Check out my company's website at Qvik.fi!
02-11-2009, 05:28 AM
Another question, about the proposed level editor...
How will this work?
Will you be able to design your level and then submit it from within the game?
And more importantly, will you be able to download other levels that other people have submitted from within the game?

I ask this because I have recently seen another game that came with a level editor, but it only allowed you to design your own levels and then keep them in your own device. That's it. The way to submit them to the developer was to take a screenshot and to then email it to him. Then, if he liked it, he would have to manually re-create the level and add it into the game himself, and release it as an update to the game, to be downloaded through iTunes.

• Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth • Parachute Panic • Chicken Raid
• Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox