Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > Upcoming iPhone and iPad Games

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Kunning Kunning is offline
Senior Member
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,249
Default

Agreed. I find that using a mouse and keyboard is actually harder than on the touch screen. Coordinating seven or eight things on the computer is actually harder than just coordinating like three or four on a touch screen.
  #12  
Old 04-01-2010, 07:03 PM
txag2005 txag2005 is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 821
Default

It may be hard at first, but mouse and keyboard controls are superior to any other for FPS games. There is a reason why on the few FPS games that had cross platform multilayer, either the PC users dominated matches or the console versions had things like auto aim to help even the playing field. Controllers fall in behind the mouse and keyboard.

Give me an iPad that has a mouse and keyboard or the ability to use a 3rd party controller and then it will become a legitimate non portable gaming device.
  #13  
Old 04-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Goose Goose is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txag2005 View Post
It may be hard at first, but mouse and keyboard controls are superior to any other for FPS games. There is a reason why on the few FPS games that had cross platform multilayer, either the PC users dominated matches or the console versions had things like auto aim to help even the playing field. Controllers fall in behind the mouse and keyboard.

Give me an iPad that has a mouse and keyboard or the ability to use a 3rd party controller and then it will become a legitimate non portable gaming device.

key words bolded. this is not a pc, is not intended to be a pc, nor is it intended to compete with a pc. it kicks the living shat out of psp, ds, or any other handheld gaming device for fps's, hands down. you want a mouse to play shooters, use your pc. jesus man.
  #14  
Old 04-01-2010, 07:18 PM
SJP99 SJP99 is offline
Senior Member
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), OS 3.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 11th dimension
Posts: 1,277
Default

FPS on itouch are awesome. I dont see how peolple can complain about the controls on them. The ipad is to big for fps. i mean you have to take your entire hand off the ipad to aim!!!!! The graphics dont seem that much better anyway.
  #15  
Old 04-01-2010, 07:21 PM
txag2005 txag2005 is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 821
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
key words bolded. this is not a pc, is not intended to be a pc, nor is it intended to compete with a pc. it kicks the living shat out of psp, ds, or any other handheld gaming device for fps's, hands down. you want a mouse to play shooters, use your pc. jesus man.
Completely not true. You can try to legitimize touch controls all day, outside of certain puzzle games and RTS games, touch controls pale in comparison to the same genre on other portable platforms with actual buttons.

Regarding portability, a DS, PSP or iPhone/iPod touch blow it out of the water in that regard.
  #16  
Old 04-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Kamazar Kamazar is offline
Senior Member
iPod Touch (3rd Gen)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
key words bolded. this is not a pc, is not intended to be a pc, nor is it intended to compete with a pc. it kicks the living shat out of psp, ds, or any other handheld gaming device for fps's, hands down. you want a mouse to play shooters, use your pc. jesus man.
It really doesn't. Doesn't hold a candle to Metroid Prime hunters, and you always run into that snag when your fingers aren't greasy enough and the friction builds up between your hand and the screen, screwing up whatever you were doing.
  #17  
Old 04-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Goose Goose is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txag2005 View Post
Completely not true. You can try to legitimize touch controls all day, outside of certain puzzle games and RTS games, touch controls pale in comparison to the same genre on other portable platforms with actual buttons.

Regarding portability, a DS, PSP or iPhone/iPod touch blow it out of the water in that regard.
this must be a coordination issue for you, i've never had trouble aiming and moving in iphone fps's. also, play coded arms on psp, poor controls, metroid prime on ds, awful graphics and again, poor controls. simply because those consoles have buttons doesn't mean their control schemes are innately better.

as harsh as it is, L2P.
  #18  
Old 04-01-2010, 09:09 PM
txag2005 txag2005 is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 821
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
this must be a coordination issue for you, i've never had trouble aiming and moving in iphone fps's. also, play coded arms on psp, poor controls, metroid prime on ds, awful graphics and again, poor controls. simply because those consoles have buttons doesn't mean their control schemes are innately better.

as harsh as it is, L2P.
It's not a coordination issue, it's the fact that touch controls are
gimmicky at best. Compare GTA, great iPhone game but the controls are garbage compared to the DS or PSP versions. The same issues would exist on the ipad.

I can accept people who don't mind touch controls, but are you seriously sitting here and arguing they are superior?
  #19  
Old 04-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Kunning Kunning is offline
Senior Member
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txag2005 View Post
It's not a coordination issue, it's the fact that touch controls are
gimmicky at best. Compare GTA, great iPhone game but the controls are garbage compared to the DS or PSP versions. The same issues would exist on the ipad.

I can accept people who don't mind touch controls, but are you seriously sitting here and arguing they are superior?
Honestly, I don't want to insult you here or anything, but if you have problems with standard touch screen FPS and GTA:CW's controls, then you're seriously uncoordinated.
  #20  
Old 04-01-2010, 09:36 PM
txag2005 txag2005 is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 821
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunning View Post
Honestly, I don't want to insult you here or anything, but if you have problems with standard touch screen FPS and GTA:CW's controls, then you're seriously uncoordinated.
I didn't say I have problems. I play games just fine on here. What I'm saying is touch controls are inferior to actual buttons. There is a difference. I can be good at using something but still prefer something else.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent