★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: No Scrabble in UK yet

02-11-2009, 03:23 AM
No Scrabble in UK yet

Hi, I have been waiting for EA to release scrabble here in the UK, but the wait continues!

Does anyone know why they haven't released it here and does anyone have any ideas when it might finally come out?

Thanks in advance
02-11-2009, 03:31 AM
They are too lazy to get their licensing issues sorted out. I think we will have to wait forever.

02-11-2009, 04:13 AM
I don't know if it's laziness - just that EA only has the license for reproductions of Hasbro's Scrabble trademark. The catch is that it's Hasbro ONLY owns the Scrabble trademark the USA and Canada.

It's Mattel who owns the Scrabble trademark elsewhere in the world. EA would have to strike a deal with Mattel - and Mattel would have to reciprocate, and perhaps even then, EA couldn't use the games that they developed in association with Hasbro – because Hasbro may have exclusivity to any content EA has created out of their partnership.

So it's not really laziness at all.

Last edited by accidental; 02-11-2009 at 04:15 AM.
02-11-2009, 05:24 AM
You would think that if hasbro has the rights to USA and Canada , then it would be unlikely any exclusivity rights would carry outside of those regions... So it's probably a simple case of striking a deal with Mattel and a slight reworking of the code to remove hasbro and add mattel....

I'm always the optimist
02-11-2009, 05:24 AM
Well it's a good thing I picked it up on the US iTunes store last night then. Looks like we'll never get it down here in Oz either...
02-11-2009, 06:03 AM
Very much looking forward to this one. It's been a real trip down memory lane with some of these iPod Touch gems (Uno, Yahtzee et al, not to mention the Atari arcaders). Here's hoping the wait will be a short one *crosses fingers, presses thumbs etc*

Last edited by Alichan; 02-11-2009 at 06:06 AM.
02-11-2009, 06:17 AM
agree that it seems weird it still has broken on these shores yet

there's prob some bad history about how the licensing split originally came about and that's carried over to digital versions

stupid of the license holders here though as they're just losing money they could have gotten by the week - as other games come along for word gamers and gradually the lack of scarbble becomes less important (IMO)

Edit: Ironic misspelling in a post about word apps ^ (was intentional.. honest)

Last edited by menom; 02-11-2009 at 06:20 AM. Reason: also misspelled misspelling before - irony overload...
02-11-2009, 06:42 AM
OK, so we're all aware that Hasbro has the rights to Scrabble in North America and Mattel has the rights to Scrabble elsewhere, and the licensing issues between the two different companies would *initially* seem to indicate why this game has not been released outside of North America yet...

BUT... what has not been mentioned here is that Scrabble *IS* available for the old Classic scroll-wheel iPods in the UK (and I suspect elsewhere outside of North America too). See here.
So they've obviously got the licensing issues sorted out there then, so what really is the problem?
EA, would you care to explain? No, I thought not...

Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth Parachute Panic Chicken Raid
Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox
02-11-2009, 07:10 AM
It's EA, what do you expect? EA give a crap about customers and/or quality. Always has been that way. That's one of the points why i prefer indies...

Fed up with all the casual games on the iDevice and in need of a new twist to the RPG genre? You can have an influence on the game with your ideas! For more info have a look at: Thread on TA / The Dev's Blog
02-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Was gonna make a thread about this the other day, I dont think it will come out in uk now.