★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: LIMITED TIME SALE - 50% OFF! "Asteroids Hot Sister!" - crazymikesapps.com (4.5/5 Stars)
Graced Apple's New & Noteworthy, What's Hot, and What We're Playing iPad game lists for 2 months!

--
A new version called Ace Extreme is in the works for OS X, iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch! Follow us to know when it launches.
--

Dangers are around every corner in Ace Omicron, the ultimate iPad survival shooter. Control Eden Jackson as she fights for existence in the hostile environment of the deep black.

She was marooned from her fleet after her hyper-drive engine malfunctioned. Now she has to travel "alone" through the long, gaping breath of darkness to reach home. Her journey starts from the Omicron (the 13th star of her galaxys constellation). But be wary fellow travelerthe deepness of space is no friend to life.

- Rocks of various shapes and forms are scattered throughout the journey. Use your blaster to keep them at bay!
- Robots and UFOs also thwart your venture at every path. Shoot them before they destroy your ship!
- Harness fusion gems and convert them into ship upgrades!

FEATURES
- Awesome HD 3D graphics and effects
- Universal application (Buy only once and play on iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch
- Ace Omicron is OpenFeint enabled! (Compete in global leaderboards and gain achievements)
- Play the game horizontally or vertically
- A selection of modes are available for different play styles:
1) Hyper (Automatically build your arsenal as score increases)
2) Twilight (Weapons are maxed out now just try to survive the insane onslaught)
3) Classic (Start with nothing and selectively upgrade your ship. For old-school players)

Video trailer of this insane iPad shooter :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJTrmyWIpcQ
04-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Looks pretty good, is there a video?

GameCenter/OpenFeint/Plus+/Agon/Gameloft Live/Xbox LIVE/PSN ID: VoodooVyper

04-01-2010, 10:06 PM
video for the iPad:
04-01-2010, 10:07 PM
04-02-2010, 01:14 PM
Game Impressions

I just grabbed it and find it pretty fun.

First off they get props for going universal (iPhone and iPad native versions all in one package), this is the route I hope all devs will go ESPECIALLY when the iPhone and iPad games are identical except for resized graphics.

Second, beyond having some cool graphics and sounds, the game features pretty innovative one touch control:

-A quick tap anywhere will have your ship spin over to that direction and fire a shot.
-A longer press anywhere will both start continuous fire and move your ship toward your finger tap.
-A quick tap ON your ship will apply the parking brakes to hold you in place until you take the brakes off.

To sort of even things out since this game might have you sitting in place more than a standard Asteroids clone, when perfectly still your ship has a bit of a shield that can only be regenerated by blow crap up (or maybe just shooting in general, not sure).

The game comes in three flavors:

Classic: Shoot baddies and rocks using cash earned in between wave to purchase upgrades.
Hyper: Just keep shooting and your ship will gain upgrades based on your score so, the longer you last, the better upgrades will be applied.
Twilight: Your ship starts with everything maxed out and enemies flying at you full power. Let's you jump right into the intense action.

Good fun 5/5

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
04-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Not a bad little shooter here. Some crisp graphics, cool effects, retro sounds. I like the control setup, it works. Gameplay has you taking on waves of enemies and space rocks while collecting health and points to survive and get a high score. This is a good game to try if you are into space shooter games.

If I had any suggestions to make the app better I would like to see more enemies added in.
04-03-2010, 07:38 PM
I just downloaded this game and have to say it is a quality game. It has great graphics and good sound. The controls are spot on and easy to use once you get used to them.
LordGek explained the game very well. It is at heart an asteroids game. However it is asteroids for 2010. The game has the three modes which allow you to get the most out of the game. I like classic the best which starts you with nothing and allows you to level up using money you earn destroying the asteroids and alien ships. If you are looking for an asteroids type game, you will do well by picking this one up.

Game Center- SLEB Openfient- sleb plus+ sleb
04-05-2010, 11:59 PM
Have been playing this for a bit and now for some commentary...

The graphics are really nice, but this game really shines with the sounds and music. They just sound awesome with a wonderful oomph to them. As previous posters have said this is a newly envisioned asteroids type game.

I like that there are 3 game modes so that you can pick whichever style you want to play: A standard 'collect money and buy upgrades' mode, a 'receive upgrades based on score' mode, and a 'start maxed and survive as long as you can' mode.

The controls take some getting used to. Tap to shoot a single shot, tap repeatedly to shoot more, tap and hold and the ship moves towards your finger. In the survival mode, it really helps to tap and drag as your ship will continuously fire and follow your finger. If you tap on your ship, it stops moving until you tap on it again. The controls do work but sometimes I felt it was hard to change directions on the fly or start moving from a standstill...there definitely felt like there was a lot of inertia to overcome before you could see movement.

Stuff I liked:
-cool graphics
-awesome sound effects and music
-multiple game modes
-the upgrade "store" in the Classic mode is really neatly done

Stuff I thought could be improved:
-there are no proper directions, just "Tips" which can be toggled on or off to explain stuff as you go
-there's no global high scores...you're just playing against yourself
-the names for the 3 game modes are cool, but absolutely unintuitive
-the screen where you enter your name for the leaderboard looks very barebones and does not fit the awesome polish of the rest of the game
-the amount of points you score doesn't feel satisfying...I got to level 12 in Hyper mode and only scored around 1800 points...it just doesn't sound or feel impressive
-would love to see more content like screen clearing bomb powerups, shields, a small asteroid/comet that goes across the screen once that you can shoot for bonus points, etc.
-there's an Options screen for adjusting the sound effects and music volume...I have no idea how it works...I randomly swiped, tapped, drew circles and got the music volume to lower, but now I can't figure out how to change it back

Overall, I really enjoyed the game a lot, it's just that for most of it I felt I was experimenting with how to play or figuring out how stuff worked. The actual gameplay is very well done with a little bit of a learning curve for the controls. It does make me wonder how it would feel differently to have a stick to rotate the ship and fire/thrust buttons as an alternate control option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.
04-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Game Impressions

I think what I have to say echos DG's comments a lot.

I really really really liked the audio in this game. Reminded me a lot of Cosmic Ark, it's great. Graphics are also very nice.

Being able to choose what level to start at is great - you can start from scratch and upgrade as you go, or start fully maxed out for an immediately crazy game.

Kudos for making it a universal build - I'm sure I'll have an iPad at some point, which makes this a major bonus.

The control is just fine as it is, and the idea to make you keep moving/firing to keep your shields up is a good one. However I'd love to see an option to play in landscape mode, with a directional control in the lower-left and tap the right side of the screen to fire (like Shockwave) which would make movement when you are near the edge of the screen a bit easier (and would open up the possibility of wrapping around the screen like the asteroids do...)

5 Stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
04-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Version 1.1 was sent to Apple with OpenFeint integration a little over an hour ago. Be prepared to compete against each other in the global leaderboards and also win achievements as you play the game!

Also, thanks so much for the kind words everyone. It makes us really happy that you enjoy the game