★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: NANO 2.0 - The field is possessed!

02-11-2009, 09:47 AM
NANO 2.0 - The field is possessed!

Hey everyone -

I'm the developer of NANO and I'm also part of the FORMation team (KERN, EYE vs. EYE and some more titles are in the works).

First off, a big thanks to everyone who has made NANO so successful thus far. We've seen it go up to #7 in the MUSIC GAMES category, and we're hoping to gain some visibility beyond that category with the 2.0 release.

I was chipping away at the NANO v1.1 update when I realized there were a few other items I wanted to add, and this would quickly turn into a v2.0 release. Incorporating the feature requests kindly suggested via the forums here and the feedback link within the 1.0 version, the new features are:

- Save game on exit (I know, long overdue).
- New audio tracks. More peaceful now, and deeper / warmer due to some additional cello, viola, and acoustic violin parts to complement the e-violin notes. There are typically 6-9 string parts creating the texture together at any given time. I've been tempted to make the app more song-like and slightly less ambient; in a future version I will probably add some gentle melodies that appear on later levels.
- Full screen flow field.
- Binary level meter that also serves to add challenge to each level (see "FIXED FLOW LINES"). The flow lines that express the binary representation of the level number are fixed in place and can't be changed by touch. I'm guessing most people won't see that this is an abstract level meter at first, but once they do, they can predict what parts of the field are about to be immobilized in the next level. In the "FIXED FLOW LINES" image, the player is on level 112.
- Flow vectors become randomly possessed to mess up your flow field - the higher the level, the more the "AUTOMATA" alter the field (however, AUTOMATA vectors may alter a FIXED vector to your advantage, and you will have to figure out how to leverage this).
- Revamped icon / menu screen.
- More in-game instructions.
- There are now 255 levels instead of "infinite" - I think practically speaking this is OK. If you get to level 255 and it's still not tough enough, we can talk!
- In-game links to two FORMation titles, KERN and EYE vs. EYE (watch for a new app to be added in the next month) - as well as my music projects Edifice and Rustcycle - to give folks the broader context of this app as part of a collection of projects.

Pricing:
- With the additional features and recent audio gear purchases in mind, I changed the price to $1.99. I think $1.99 also helps to give shoppers some confidence that there is some polish and production value to the product. Is this a fair price compared to Bloom, Newtonica, and Buddha Machine?
- To let folks give NANO a try, NANO LITE will be free, and includes the first 4 levels (with a bit more of the AUTOMATA vectors appearing, just so you have a taste for that).

I hope you enjoy the changes, looking forward to feedback to help drive version 2.1!

NANO links
App store: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=301310346
Appshopper: http://appshopper.com/games/nano

NANO LITE links
App store: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=305170282
Appshopper: http://appshopper.com/games/nano-lite
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0 - NANO_splash.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1141   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 - NANO_guide1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1142   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 - NANO_guide2.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	1143  

Name:	3 - NANO_guide3.jpg
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1144   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 - NANO_guide_nodes.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1145   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 - NANO_guide_energy.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1146  

Name:	6 - NANO_guide_fixed.jpg
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	1147   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 - NANO_guide_automata.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1148  

Last edited by rustcycle; 02-19-2009 at 10:49 PM.
02-11-2009, 09:55 AM
That looks really good. I'll try the lite today. oops the lite is not out yet. Count me in though.

Last edited by le'deuche123; 02-11-2009 at 10:31 AM.

02-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Send a message via AIM to istopmotion Send a message via MSN to istopmotion
Looks fantastic! Good luck with it!

I love musical games and it's already pretty awesome, but the update is really going to improve it.

Thanks!

Please follow me on Twitter!
I LOVE all Guitar Hero/Rock Band games. Gamertag is 'istopmotion' Add me if you want a challenge
02-11-2009, 11:40 AM
G.R.E.A.T update!
02-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Fantastic! Been highly anticipating this update.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc
02-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Looking forward to giving this a try.
02-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks for posting all this info in this way (format), that's how we like it here! Much appreciated.
It's so easy to lose a lot of time with NANO, I'm looking forward to getting this update on my device.
Thank you for all the improvements!!

Stefan
02-11-2009, 05:44 PM
damn it... price went up from .99 to 1.99...
02-19-2009, 01:14 AM
Yay, the update is out!
Unfortunately, I don't have time to play today...

Stefan
02-19-2009, 01:16 AM
Wait, what's this? I can't download it or access the product page, it says that it's not available in the Dutch store?!?

I hope it simply isn't available yet because of some servers or something, otherwise the dev needs to fix this.

Stefan