★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: 8-bit Race is a HIT Arcade game of the 80's. Watch the trailer: http://8bitrace.aylex.com!

Enjoy 2 new modes like : "Night Race" and "Rainy road"

Now you don't need to stay in queue for hours to play the game, it is just a touch away.

If you want to expand your abilities 8-bit racing is your choice.

Race takes place in a highway with both sides traffic. Be ready for extreme driving

Rules are very simple: control your 8-bit racing car by tilting your iPhone/iPod touch collecting power Ups and do not forget fuel cans.

Game Features :

- Addicting Gameplay

- Cool 8-bit Cars

- 8-bit Music

- Power-ups

- OpenFeint integration

- Global Leader Board

- Free Updates

DavidHolliss's comments:
New on the store today, very slick video here

04-02-2010, 03:45 AM
Genius. Amazing nobody thought of this before. I'll get this the second it's out. Wait. It already is. DL-ing!

PS: preview is suitable for all audiences, but contains some violence/horror/graphic traffic accident footage.

Playing: Solipskier, Edge, Ground Effect, Bobble Surfer, Minigore, 2012 Zombies vs Aliens, iSR, Pocket God, Slotz, Zen Bound 2, Crazy Snowboard, Vector Tank, ...

04-02-2010, 03:49 AM
any gameplay videos?
04-02-2010, 03:53 AM
love the dramatic preview video

trouble is there appears to be no clues whatsoever about how the actual in game footage looks.

i imagine the game to be along the lines of le-mans tho.

Currently playing: Joe Dever's Lone Wolf and FM2014
04-02-2010, 04:08 AM
Just picked this up. Anything with 8-Bit in the title must be good, right?

I'll try to put up a gameplay video soon.

Fondle me on Twitter:@JaredTA
04-02-2010, 04:33 AM
Definitely want to see a gameplay video, as well.
04-02-2010, 04:54 AM
Originally Posted by MasterChief3624 View Post
Definitely want to see a gameplay video, as well.
+1 Me too. Looking forward to that vid from Boardumb.
04-02-2010, 04:59 AM
Boardumb's Video

Youtube link | Pop Up
04-02-2010, 05:01 AM
oh. thanks for the vid tho!

Beta tester of 54 games
Originally Posted by crex View Post
Thats a nice lookin gun.
04-02-2010, 05:05 AM
Game Impressions

Ok, well, not really what I expected based on the trailer and the one screenshot. This is definitely a retro title. It reminds me of Street Racer for the Atari 2600. You're goal is to go as far as possible while dodging the other traffic, while the game gradually increases it's pace. And by gradually, I mean it. The game starts out SLOW. Blue cars are in the oncoming lane, and green cars are in the lane going you're direction. Also for some odd reason, there's giant orange cars in the right lane as well. They aren't in the oncoming lane, but perhaps that was to balance out the challenge of traffic driving at you head on. Either way it comes off as sort of weird to see giant orange monster truck looking things.

You tilt your device to steer your car and avoid other traffic, and touch anywhere on the screen to brake. I didn't really find myself using the brake all that much. The accelerometer feels a little bit floaty, and I really wish there was an option for touch controls or at least be able to tweak the tilt settings. There's two power ups you can collect, a siren that causes all traffic to pull over to the shoulders for 5 seconds, and a clock that stops all other traffic for 5 seconds. You also have to worry about your gas which is constantly decreasing. You pick up gas tanks spread around the road much in the same way as the power ups.

This isn't necessarily a bad game, it just isn't anything that really stands out. The OpenFeint is nice for online scores, and there's a healthy amount of good achievements to go for. But with just the one endless mode, and how the game starts so slowly, I don't feel compelled to sit and play over and over. The brightest part of this game for me is the music. 8-bit tunes that sound like they were pulled straight out of a NES action game. Almost worth the dollar just to rock out to the tunes

If you really like retro games, you will probably get a dollars worth of enjoyment out of this game. If you watched the video and thought you were going to get a retro inspired Jet Car Stunts type of game, you will be sorely disappointed. Tightening up the controls, adding a touch option, some more game modes, enemies and power ups would go a long way in making this game more than just "meh". On that same note, for just a dollar more, I'd suggest that the recently released Hit N'Run offers up a similar experience, although with more options and far better graphics.

I was in the process of making a little gameplay video when my camera's battery died So, I apologize for the pretty crappy quality of this video, but it should at the very least give you an idea of what the game is like:

Originally Posted by Toad In The Hole View Post
Boardumb's Video
My video was snipered from me by Toad In The Hole!

Fondle me on Twitter:@JaredTA

Last edited by Boardumb; 04-02-2010 at 05:11 AM.